U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:17 AM

23 posts, read 55,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTSpinks View Post
People can talk all they want about offense, and I know that Hawaii has a good one, but winning football games against good opponents is all about defense. Where is Hawaii's defense ranked right now...exactly, you are kidding yourself if you think that a Hawaii team that gave up 256 rushing yards to Washington will be able to stop Knowshon Moreno. It will be kind've hard for Colt to rack up the kind've yardage he's used to when he only gets 5 offensive series, ball control folks.
Well I was wrong about ball control (Hawaii actually won the time of possesion) but not about the defense, only touchdown for Hawaii came with all the backups in for UGA. So yeah, Hawaii should be right around 20th - 25th in the end of season polls.

Biggest difference between Boise State and Hawaii... Boise State actually played solid football not this pass happy, gimmicky, Junne Jones crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 01:07 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,363,272 times
They have to play gimmicky football to have any chance to win. You saw how their thick-legged Polynesian linemen were completely outclassed by the speedy, slick African-American Georgia players. Hawaii doesnt have the athletes to beat a good team straight up.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:29 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,441,764 times
Call it gimmicky if you like, but so long as its all in the rules, there is nothing about it that is a "gimmick". Its just non traditional ball and when you have a $50,000 recruiting budget and a team that gets very little exposure and recruitment opportunities, I'd call it smart coaches to realize that playing traditional ball will produce less results than keeping your opponent off guard.

Regardless of that, when your line can't do anything for 4 quarters, no amount of surprise type plays can fix that at all.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:40 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,196,358 times
I'm a little late on this, but hooray for Georgia. I wanted Hawaii to win until that bastard June Jones wore a ECU shirt at the Olaha bowl or whatever the hell it was. It was worth BSU losing to see his face after getting his ass kicked. HA

Old 01-07-2008, 07:52 AM

23 posts, read 55,683 times
Default Yes, it is the epitome of a GIMMICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Call it gimmicky if you like, but so long as its all in the rules, there is nothing about it that is a "gimmick". Its just non traditional ball and when you have a $50,000 recruiting budget and a team that gets very little exposure and recruitment opportunities, I'd call it smart coaches to realize that playing traditional ball will produce less results than keeping your opponent off guard.
Definition of gimmick - an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal. So yeah I'd say that everything about it is a gimmick, in fact you gave an impromptu definition of it right after you said "there is nothing about it that is a gimmick." But I'm not here to argue semantics, all I was saying was that it really doesn't work outside of the garbage WAC. Texas Tech has been trying it for years in the Big 12 and they haven't won a championship yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or