Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 08:27 AM

12,890 posts, read 13,201,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
The Big XII is viewed as a disadvantaged conference. It is not stable/respectable no matter what Baylor does. It's up to OU and Tejas at the end of the day. It looks like Tejas is stalling on adding teams so as to simply ride its contract out with ESPN and make more money through the Big XII TV contract and then makes its way to the PAC. Great business plan, but horrible for the rest of the Big XII and its future.

As OU president D-Boren said last summer: the Big XII is "psychologically" disadvantaged. His point is that perception wins the day; and, the perception is not good since it lost four (4!) teams in the realignment game. And not only just four teams, but four major state universities with huge endowments and large fanbases. Baylor and Texas Christian, while good on the football field, don't help the perception at all in some of these other areas that are important to the regents/presidents of the universities in other conferences (and more importantly the TV networks setting the contracts).
The problem with the present Big 12 is with any team in it not named Texas or OU - and the fact that UT has been sucking big time in football since 2009. However, look for a Longhorn resurgence in the next season or two.

As I've stated previously, the LHN isn't going away any time soon unless ESPN can restructure it into a conference channel that pays & features the "big dogs" who draw the ratings more than the yappy little mutts who nobody cares about.

Otherwise, OU & OSU to the SEC, and UT & TT to the PAC16 East - keeping the annual October Texas/OU rivalry as an OOC game in Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 08:55 PM

5,543 posts, read 9,452,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The problem with the present Big 12 is with any team in it not named Texas or OU - and the fact that UT has been sucking big time in football since 2009. However, look for a Longhorn resurgence in the next season or two.

As I've stated previously, the LHN isn't going away any time soon unless ESPN can restructure it into a conference channel that pays & features the "big dogs" who draw the ratings more than the yappy little mutts who nobody cares about.

Otherwise, OU & OSU to the SEC, and UT & TT to the PAC16 East - keeping the annual October Texas/OU rivalry as an OOC game in Dallas.
That may very well be the way it works out. However, I don't see the SEC wanting Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State's best opportunity might be to try and hitch its wagon to Tejas, Tech, and Kansas. Four team package deal making the PAC12 the PAC16.

That's assuming the B1G doesn't go after Kansas first.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:11 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,804,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Just the forum I needed, I was hankering for fantasy realignment masturbation.

(Naturally none of this happens any time soon if the Big 12 gets its act together and just grabs BYU and Cincy, details below).

JJG you seem very egalitarian in your appeal for a 16 team playoff. College Football is indeed probably the most elitist and gatekeeping of all major American sports. That being said, while overblown, I do think there is some merit to the argument of potentially the regular season being a tad diluted in a sense with such a large pool. Then again, I suppose you make up for it with the excitement of a playoff.

Realistically speaking, due to the strong gatekeeping culture of the sport, likely attention will be focused mainly on the 4 cream of the crop superconferences in the ACC, Big 10, SEC and Pac however many.

As a quick commentary though, I think the Irish are more likely to the Big Ten as there is more money to be made by leveraging both their massive fanbases in Chicago and NYC. Given that, the ACC would best pick up West Virginia, UConn, Cincy and Temple, yes Temple....which I will explain down below.

NOW ON TO MY THEORIES AND TWO CENTS. If any one has any answers or comments that do not devolve in to immature flame wars, feel free to contribute.

There are a lot of variables at play that would affect how the dominoes fall.

1. How relevant is potential cable revenue going forward in the next 20 years? The media landscape is evolving and cable companies and networks will be hard pressed to continue charging such high fees all around for a shrinking pool of consumers.

2. How relevant IS academics to all this? Nebraska not being a part of the AAU and still getting into the Big 10. Louisville NOT being an elite school and getting into the ACC, etc. I think that the arguments revolving around academic and cultural fits become even more irrelevant if this Pandora's box is opened.

3. Can strength in basketball help off set some weaker football prowess? Honestly in terms of marquee adds just based on football acumen and football audience there are very few options.

Really I think it all comes down to Texas, Oklahoma and Notre Dame and WHO GOES WHERE FIRST. Oklahoma is apparently tied at the hip to Okie State (not a sexy pick despite all the hard work they've done). Texas can write it's own ticket but apparently is too sophisticated for the SEC (along with the Sooners apparently). Therefore the Pac 12 makes sense.

After that there are only a few more really good football grabs, they are;

BYU - Honestly, I wonder if the logistics of no sunday sports would not be offset by the big cash infusion by joining a major conference. If the Big 12 does not take them. Then I advocate the Pac taking them. Yea yea culture, blah blah blah. The money to be made with the national Mormon market seems worthy of a look. Utah may or may not be very fond of the idea though, to say nothing of the more liberal college presidents in the rest of the Pac. But BYU, Texas, Oklahoma and some other random place and you will have owned realignment wars.

Notre Dame - So yea, Big 10. Why? Because besides obvious cultural and regional fit and huge brand name, the biggest college football team in New York City IS the Irish, as is cited here in the NY times. Rutgers AND the Irish? Fogget about it!

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/201...nt-chaos/?_r=0

From there, It's a stretch....

West Virginia - Both a solid pick up in football and basketball, decent enough brand name for those who remember not too long ago. Could move TV national ratings. Currently odd man out in the Big 12. However, sparsely populated home market hurts them in local revenue streams though. My dream as an ACC guy is that we snatch them up and start the Backyard Brawl up again with Pitt. If you look up TV ratings, that was always a good ranker in viewership.

UConn - Obvious basketball cred, but no real football cred. Despite the work done by Edsall, they still do not have strong recognition. You do get a well heeled fanbase and alumni base with reach into the New York market though. Admittedly, only makes sense for a few conferences. Big 12 or maybe ACC given certain circumstances.

Kansas - basically the same as UConn. I believe that if it gets into a strong conference, it could have potential but the only places that make sense logistically are the SEC and Big 10. Would either conference want the huge project that is Kansas football? I would just hate to see the basketball program out in the cold is all, I guess. Ironically, SEC would make the most sense for recruiting (Texas inroads, plus juice from Border War with Mizzou as added bonus) but the competition would be DIRE.

And finally all the other places are just "Well, they are the best we can do at this point" kinda places. Potential upsides but come with a lot of baggage.

Cincinatti - under rated football school frankly. Not a power of course but good mid major with probably a bit of room to grow. Decent fanbase, good school, making investments in program reportedly. From what I hear anecdotally, Cincy is like Memphis, Miami or Louisville where it is the main topic in the metro and not the big state school, which could bode well for ratings in a decently sized market in a good recruiting area.

Memphis - basically same as Cincy but with more skepticism on the football side. It is just so early in the post Fuente era that it is a real risk to take them on. Is it sustainable? Decent basketball cred though.

USF/UCF
- Basically potential Big 12 fodder. I bet dollars to donuts that the Big 3 Florida schools do NOT want to help their little brothers rise up and steal from their plates! Still access to big markets with room to grow.

Temple - This is a conditional mention. So yea. If 4 super conferences happen, then the ACC is in a pickle if they don't get Notre Dame. I don't see them merging with the Red River Rivals or Kansas. Temple is a risk but potential upside is real penetration in the Philly market. I have roots there so I can say that Philly is it's own universe vis a vis the state of Pennsylvania.
Penn State has a following but does not DOMINATE mind share. If a Philly team got into a major conference and competed for championships, you would have a large potential audience. Basically Boise State phenomenon with a Miami (FL) sized potential market. Would need to make major investments though which would be very controversial with current academic staff.
Still, If you add the two together and both continue to improve on the field you could carve a surprisingly strong niche in PA by grabbing two of the largest schools in the two largest metro areas. PSU maybe would still edge out in terms of total fan numbers but the Temple/Pitt combo would not be far behind at least as far as providing ACTUAL Pennsylvania eyeballs to the ACC.
I JUST so happened to click over, right before I turn this computer off before I go to bed.

I'll get more into this when the sun's up...

Old 03-26-2016, 06:32 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,804,691 times
- I'd say as media evolves, college football will just follow what changes.

- Academics (let's be honest) is mostly irrelevant. If your team is winning, you're in.

- I think only certain schools with a strong basketball history would make it to the "Power 4".

Out of Texas, OU, and Notre Dame, I think Oklahoma blinks first. If the Big XII won't do anything, then they're the first to go. After that, the dominoes will all fall into place.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:31 PM

20,502 posts, read 33,359,416 times
Quote:
That may very well be the way it works out. However, I don't see the SEC wanting Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State's best opportunity might be to try and hitch its wagon to Tejas, Tech, and Kansas. Four team package deal making the PAC12 the PAC16.

That's assuming the B1G doesn't go after Kansas first.
The Pac 12 won't do that.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:18 PM

6,325 posts, read 5,419,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
If Notre Dame is forced to give up its true independent status and join a conference as a full and equal member ), it won't keep its affiliation with the ACC; it will instead join the Big Ten.

Is there really any other choice? ND hooked up with the ACC simply because it offered what it wanted; the same as the Big East before that. If the Big Ten were to have granted such partial membership, ND would have jumped to join.

Joining the Big Ten would be a no brainer. ND is in the heart of Big Ten country and has a relationship with the Big Ten for its entire history. Strong relationships with the likes of Michigan, MSU, Purdue, Northwestern, and Iowa.

ND cares about the East Coast; that's where the Big East and ACC connections come in. But today's Big Ten gives ND much more of the east coast coverage it craves:

Rutgers (NYC market)
Penn State (Philadelphia market)
UMd (Washington and Baltimore markets)

what does the ACC offer in competition:
BC (Boston market)……Pitt gives it nothing on the east coast and ND is not looking at the Pgh market

If Notre Dame is forced to join a conference with full status, the Big Ten is where it goes.

but heck, that would work with the neat grid you came up with. The Big Ten already got Marland from the ACC; it can just easily get ND from its partial ACC status.
Please.....take them. ND joining the ACC was a little too much for me. I really didn't care one way or the other when Maryland left but I'd swap them out for ND now. It makes so much more sense for many reasons.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The Pac 12 won't do that.
Hmmm? Who is the PAC gonna want?

And I suppose they would choose Texas Christian over Oklahoma State? Get a grip.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Hmmm? Who is the PAC gonna want?

And I suppose they would choose Texas Christian over Oklahoma State? Get a grip.
And I inadvertantly omitted Baylor from the above post. If OU is in the SEC who would be a better available foursome for the PAC other than Tejas, Oklahoma State, Kansas, and Tech?

I would be pretty shocked if any smaller religious based schools made it in to the Big 4. I could see the ACC getting a Baylor/Texas Christian as a last resort if no one on the east coast was on the table. Would a Baylor/Texas Christian get the nod over West Virginia? I'm guessing not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football