U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:37 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,171,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I think a conference that had Texas, Texas Tech, Tax A&M, SMU, TCU, Rice, Baylor, LSU, Arkansas, Louisiana Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State would be pretty solid.
Would be.

Too bad it's just never going to happen. At least, not with the way college athletics is headed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 08:44 AM

5,853 posts, read 6,524,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Would be.

Too bad it's just never going to happen. At least, not with the way college athletics is headed.
truer words were never spoken. by today's logic, an ideal conference would be…

Oregon State, UNLV, Texas Tech, Nebraska, Auburn, Indiana, Marshall, Florida State, Temple, Tulane, Boston College, Hawaii, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, and Slippery Rock.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
truer words were never spoken. by today's logic, an ideal conference would be…

Oregon State, UNLV, Texas Tech, Nebraska, Auburn, Indiana, Marshall, Florida State, Temple, Tulane, Boston College, Hawaii, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, and Slippery Rock.
You forgot one FCS school moving up that's just "good enough" to hang with the mid-majors.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:01 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,704,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't. I don't think Texas or Texas A&M ever want to play in the same conference with a combination of SMU, TCU, Rice, Houston, etc. Perhaps if the Southwest conference was basically the South Central conference with Texas, A&M, Arkansas, OU, OSU, LSU, Texas Tech, and some other school to get to 8, I could see that. But nothing like what you saw as conference members of that conference in 1995.
Great idea and great conference membership. Then we could be like the SEC fools, I mean fans, and yell "SCC, SSC, SSC!"

Old 04-05-2014, 01:06 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,948,812 times
Quote:
It's going to happen eventually. Face it, it WILL happen. I just hope they go in the right direction and be smart with this.

As of now, realignment is finished for now. But when it picks back up, what NEEDS to happen is to just have 8 conferences with 16 teams. I know this idea has been thrown out before, but this is my interpretation. This is what I see happening:
  • The Big XII breaks up... So, that leaves 10 schools up for grabs.
  • Those 8 of those 10 Big XII shools are grabbed by 4 of the surviving conferences. The PAC 12 gains 16 by taking Texas, T-Tech, OU and Oklahoma St. The ACC takes West Virginia to join up with former Big East rivals, also beefing the number up to 16. The Big Ten gets their 16 by adding both Kansas schools. And the SEC, choosing one more Texas school, takes TCU. This leaves out Baylor and Iowa St.
  • The PAC 16, B1G, SEC, and ACC are the "Big Four", each with 16 schools. The remaining schools in the other conferences see this and know that they'd have to do something to try to compete. So the C-USA, American, MAC, Mountain West, Sun Belt, and the Independents all form 4 conferences of 16 teams themselves.
  • The American Athletic Conference decides to become somewhat of a mini-NFL, creating one 2 conference league with 16 teams and 4 divisions. Of course, the NCAA rejected the idea, so instead, the AAC split into two conferences to represent the east and west. This would spawn the U.S. Athletic Conferences (E.U.S.A.C & W.U.S.A.C.) taking what is in the AAC and some of the remaining schools. The Mountain West basically becomes the W.U.S.A.C. and C-USA mostly making up the E.U.S.A.C.
  • With a few FCS schools moving up, it made it possible for the Sun Belt and MAC to have 16 schools in the conference as well. The MAC became the "Rust Belt Conference", as an opposite to the Sun Belt.
  • At the time, the College Football Playoff was expanded to 6 schools with consideration of making it an 8-team playoff. Seeing how there were now 8 "Super Conferences", it made sense to have 8 teams in a playoff, but the NCAA and the conference presidents knew instantly that there would be some deserving teams left out, so instead of 8, the powers that be decided to bite the bullet and make it a full 16 team playoff. No more, no less. There are no more independent schools and each conference has a title game.
  • The playoffs are set to where the conference winner will play one of the selected 8 teams in the first round (technically the playoffs start with the conference championship games, but I digress) and it's still set up to where one side of the bracket features the #1 seed while the other side features #2.
  • The First Round takes place at the home field of the top seed. The 2nd round takes place in 2 selected neutral fields, both sites hosting 2 games each. The Final Four would take place in 2 of the rotating bowl games that is now being used for the current format. The playoffs begin the 2nd week of December.

Here are the conferences and the playoff set-up.

B1G
- West // Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Kansas, Kansas St.
- East // Purdue, Indiana, Ohio St., Michigan, Michigan St., Penn St., Rutgers, Maryland

SEC
- West // Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St., Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU, TCU
- East // Florida, Georgia, S. Carolina, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Kentucky, Mizzou, UCF

ACC
- Atlantic // Clemson, FSU., N.C. State, Louisville, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Wake Forest, WVU
- Coastal // B.C., V-Tech, Duke, UNC, Miami, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Pitt

PAC 16
- North // Cal, Stanford, Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St., Utah, Colorado
- South // USC, UCLA, Arizona, ASU, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Ok. St.

E.U.S.A.C
- Eastern // UConn, ECU, WKU, Navy, Ohio, USF, Cincinatti, Army
- Central // Baylor, Rice, Houston, SMU, Tulane, LTU, Tulsa, Memphis

W.U.S.A.C.
- Mountain // Iowa St., UTEP, UTSA, New Mexico, Wyomming, Colorado St., Air Force, BYU
- Pacific // Boise St., Idaho, UNLV, Nevada, Fresno St, SDSU, Hawaii, Utah St.

Sun Belt
- East // Charlotte, Mid Tenn St., FIU, FAU, Georgia St., Troy, USA, Southern Miss.
- West // SJSU, Texas St., Louisiana, ULM, Arkansas St., N. Texas, NMSU, Sam Houston St.

Rust Belt
- East // ODU, UMass, Temple, Buffalo, Appalachian St., Marshal, Kent St., Akron
- West // NDSU, NIU, Ball St., EMU, CMU, WMU, Toledo, Bowling Green

as a B1G wrestling guy i'd be torn on the whole KU, K-State, Iowa State thing. adding Iowa State to B1G wrestling would be awesome BUT the B1G powers have always gone on record saying that if you wanna be a member of the conf you HAVE to have wrestling. so by adding KU and K State that would force two more D1 schools to finally add wrestling to their athletic depts.

didn't even know ODU played football. and it'll be a cold day in you know what before OU leaves the MAC. trust me on this one.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
You forgot one FCS school moving up that's just "good enough" to hang with the mid-majors.
no, no, no, JJG, that makes no sense what-so-ever. that would bring the total up to 17, an awful number not divisible by two, forcing one school not to play every week, thus forcing it to schedule the local high school in an out-of-conference, out-of-collegiate competiion…..although it would fill up the stadium to see a 145-0 game and bring in a s**tload of revenue to the local HS.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
as a B1G wrestling guy i'd be torn on the whole KU, K-State, Iowa State thing. adding Iowa State to B1G wrestling would be awesome BUT the B1G powers have always gone on record saying that if you wanna be a member of the conf you HAVE to have wrestling. so by adding KU and K State that would force two more D1 schools to finally add wrestling to their athletic depts.

didn't even know ODU played football. and it'll be a cold day in you know what before OU leaves the MAC. trust me on this one.
actually, if it came down to this, the Big Ten would opt for Iowa State over K-State. There would be no negatives. You'd lose the KU and K-State link in conference but you'd have Iowa-Ia State.

besides, Iowa State has a much better academic reputation and the demographics would be better for having 2 Iowa schools over 2 Kansas schools.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post

Well if ya haven't noticed, college sports really runs on football, with basketball being a pretty decent 2nd. So that could change...

As for ODU, they just moved up from FCS a couple years ago, but they've had football for years.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:15 AM

5,939 posts, read 5,295,505 times
I like the OP's plan.

I knew someone would bring up other sports. Most people don't care. The fact that few make a profit is proof of that. That would include some football, most basketball, and 99% all other college sports.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:54 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,698,183 times
If indeed there's actually interest by either the B1G or ACC to "own" the NYC market, then UConn ends up in one of those. UConn is probably 5-8 years away from attaining the AAU status the B1G demands, but other than research spending, it's already there. So if the next CR happens within 8 years, UConn would go to the ACC.

It's been studied by Nate Silver and others and the top football fan bases in the NYC metro are Rutgers, ND, PSU, UConn, Michigan and Syracuse in that order. If ND goes to the B1G, which is the most sensible move for them, then the ACC pretty much has to take UConn if it wants presence in NYC. And UConn >>> Syracuse as far as hoops goes in NYC. With UConn now in Hockey East, they can protect their hockey team as the ACC doesn't care about that (although that's another element of interest to the B1G).

I would say that WVU to the ACC is a stretch, but by taking Louisville, the ACC has already admitted that academics are relatively meaningless compared to athletics. If the ACC were to lose ND to the B1G, they would likely want WVU as one of the remaining large schools in their geo footprint as well as grabbing UConn. If the ACC had to lose a school in order to facilitate this, it's obvious that would be Wake Forest as the outlier in terms of having a tiny fan base compared to other schools in the conference. I would suggest BC as an additional candidate to be jettisoned as despite their presence in a major market, they do not move the needle in any sport other than hockey - which doesn't matter in the ACC.

UConn and WVU also share one other feature of value - they are the big dogs in their state by a huge margin. Which means an easier sell for content on any conference affiliated cable package. UConn is by far the larger of the two markets, but both essentially have monopolies in their states/regions as far as televised athletics programming.

I would also suggest that in the OP's example, Memphis is a more viable candidate for the SEC than TCU. They've been to a BCS bowl recently, consistently have a competitive football team, have good athletic facilities, a natural rivalry with Tennessee and are also consistently good in hoops. From the AAC, after UConn, Memphis appears to me the most likely to "graduate" to a bigger league, even slightly ahead of Cincy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or