U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2014, 11:48 PM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,039 posts, read 2,167,151 times
Reputation: 826

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Boren told Slive "no."

If you think Misery brings in higher ratings than the Sooners then I'm guessing you need to go and get off Momma and Daddy's computer. Better luck next time, youngster.

Cheers.
I didn't say Missouri brought in higher ratings than OU. I said OU doesn't bring in high enough ratings on their own. See the difference? Missouri brings in enough ratings, improves conference academics and is not a football power. Oklahoma doesn't improve academics and is a football power. Oklahoma is not what the SEC needed.

And Slive doesn't have the power to offer OU anything. Only the SEC Presidents do. They never voted on OU. And if Boren said no it's because his bosses in Austin told him to.

I don't know why you take all this personally. OU is a good enough school. They just don't offer anything on their own to improve any of the other major conferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2014, 12:22 AM
JJG JJG started this thread
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
There is no chance in hell that the Big Ten would ever invite Kansas or Kansas State. That will never happen. Unless the Big Ten decides to kick out Michigan and Wisconsin first. Aint gonna happen.

And there is no chance in hell that Notre Dame will join a conference in football and they will not be excluded from anything because of independence. Why do people think this is some kind of possibility?

Also, no way UCONN gets in a major conference. They have nothing of value to offer. The ACC and B1G are not interested in "project" schools.

If the Big 12 folds the only school worth a damn to a major conference is Texas. If Texas wants to bring along Oklahoma then that would happen. No one besides Texas could get in on their own. Iowa State, Okie State, Kansas, etc.. will be joining the MAC if the Big 12 falls apart.
Well someone took this a little TOO seriously...

Damn, dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,039 posts, read 2,167,151 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Well someone took this a little TOO seriously...

Damn, dude.
I aint taking it all that seriously. Mostly because this type of conference alignment/playoff will never happen. But I find it fun to talk about and see what other people think about it.

I just think it's strange that people think ND is going to join a conference in football. Or that the Big Ten would even look at Kansas State.

Catfish & Batman is the one taking all this seriously. All I said was Oklahoma doesn't have enough on it own to generate an invite form another major conference (though one would think they would, but you have to offer more than just a good football team) and she got all cry baby on me.

Last edited by OhioRules; 04-13-2014 at 07:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 04:31 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I didn't say Missouri brought in higher ratings than OU. I said OU doesn't bring in high enough ratings on their own. See the difference? Missouri brings in enough ratings, improves conference academics and is not a football power. Oklahoma doesn't improve academics and is a football power. Oklahoma is not what the SEC needed.

And Slive doesn't have the power to offer OU anything. Only the SEC Presidents do. They never voted on OU. And if Boren said no it's because his bosses in Austin told him to.

I don't know why you take all this personally. OU is a good enough school. They just don't offer anything on their own to improve any of the other major conferences.
Nothing personal, Pardner, but you're just flat wrong. You don't live here and you clearly don't know the dynamics of how OU was brazen enough to tell Texas it would leave if the Shorthorns didn't make some concessions. Boren got Beebe fired essentially and pushed the hardest for the Grant of Rights. You're wrong on thinking this conference is led SOLELY by Tejas. They've been riding our coattails of success for a while now. 8 Conference Titles to 3 is clear enough.

Missouri did not go to the SEC to improve academics. Misery was a consolation prize. OU said no. It's that simple.

BTW, by your logic, A&M was not enough to "come in on its own." Not enough tradition and not a big enough brand "on it's own."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2014, 05:43 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,039 posts, read 2,167,151 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Nothing personal, Pardner, but you're just flat wrong. You don't live here and you clearly don't know the dynamics of how OU was brazen enough to tell Texas it would leave if the Shorthorns didn't make some concessions. Boren got Beebe fired essentially and pushed the hardest for the Grant of Rights. You're wrong on thinking this conference is led SOLELY by Tejas. They've been riding our coattails of success for a while now. 8 Conference Titles to 3 is clear enough.

Missouri did not go to the SEC to improve academics. Misery was a consolation prize. OU said no. It's that simple.

BTW, by your logic, A&M was not enough to "come in on its own." Not enough tradition and not a big enough brand "on it's own."
No, you're wrong. The SEC did not invite OU. Slive might have put out some feelers but there was no invite extended. The Big 12 was on the verge of collapse. No way OU woulda said no to a stable conference and more money to stay in a conference that made less money and was likely to fall apart. The University Presdent would have been fired immediately had he turned down an SEC invite.

Here's the problem with Oklahoma joining the SEC: They are too good and don't bring in the money to match. For some reason, OU doesn't get the tv ratings of other national powers. So, why would South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee, Auburn etc... want a school, that they can't beat for less money? A&M brings huge amounts of money. Every school offers something different and it depends on what a conference is looking for. The SEC wasn't looking for tradition. Or a football king like OU. They wanted improved academics, decent but not great football, tv markets. Missouri and A&M offer all three. OU offered none.

And if you think Texas is riding OUs success then you don't know anything about the power structure in college football.

It's nothing personal, Oklahoma had nothing to offer the SEC (without Texas included). It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with OU. It means they didn't have what the SEC was looking for. You can tell yourself the SEC was drooling over OU all you want. Fact is, talking to a school does not equal an invite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2014, 03:04 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
No, you're wrong. The SEC did not invite OU. Slive might have put out some feelers but there was no invite extended. The Big 12 was on the verge of collapse. No way OU woulda said no to a stable conference and more money to stay in a conference that made less money and was likely to fall apart. The University Presdent would have been fired immediately had he turned down an SEC invite.

Here's the problem with Oklahoma joining the SEC: They are too good and don't bring in the money to match. For some reason, OU doesn't get the tv ratings of other national powers. So, why would South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee, Auburn etc... want a school, that they can't beat for less money? A&M brings huge amounts of money. Every school offers something different and it depends on what a conference is looking for. The SEC wasn't looking for tradition. Or a football king like OU. They wanted improved academics, decent but not great football, tv markets. Missouri and A&M offer all three. OU offered none.

And if you think Texas is riding OUs success then you don't know anything about the power structure in college football.

It's nothing personal, Oklahoma had nothing to offer the SEC (without Texas included). It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with OU. It means they didn't have what the SEC was looking for. You can tell yourself the SEC was drooling over OU all you want. Fact is, talking to a school does not equal an invite.
Again, you're not from here and you clearly don't know what you're talking about. OU DID say no to Slive and the SEC because OU knew as long as there is a league with the Sooners and Shorthorns then that's enough for any conference. You're just wrong, little fellar.

Please take the time to read the following articles mentioning OU's invite by the SEC during the first major wave of realignment. OU was the prime target and A&M was the second main target. The invitation was still open even in late 2011 when A&M joined.

Hope this helps with your reassessment. Better luck next time with your "assertions" Pardner.

Also, yeh, it's not even debatable: OU has had a ton more success than Tejas. Sure we've used many Texans to win but that's Shorthorn's U.'s fault for keeping their own blue-chippers in state.

Oklahoma president: SEC invited Sooners and Texas A&M | AL.com

Oklahoma president: SEC invited Sooners, Texas A&M during conference expansion frenzy - ESPN

Berry Tramel: OU wants no part of the SEC | News OK

From Barry Tramel:
>>>>>
Berry Tramel: Realignment frenzy proves Oklahoma is a state united

Oklahoman Comment on this article 5
Published: June 17, 2010

During the conference realignment frenzy of last week, the Southeastern Conference contacted the University of Oklahoma.

OU's Bob Stoops, left, and OSU's Mike Gundy are tied together in so many ways, especially now that OU turned down an invitation from the SEC because the conference wouldn't invite OSU. PHOTO BY NATE BILLINGS, The Oklahoman Archive

Multimedia
Photoview all photos
Berry Tramel: Realignment frenzy proves Oklahoma is a state united

The SEC invited the Sooners to join its league.

The mania was so mighty over the possible breakup of the Big 12 that the SEC invitation wasn’t even at the top of OU’s priority list. Jump to the Pac-10? Salvage the Big 12? Sooner decision-makers had a lot on their plate.

OU president David Boren wouldn’t confirm the SEC invitation — “wouldn’t be appropriate for me to comment” — but sources say Boren responded to the SEC in two ways.

1. Appreciation for the interest. It indeed is flattering to be courted by the nation’s best football league.

2. Would the invitation include Oklahoma State?

The answer was no, not at this time. Boren thanked the SEC for its interest but said the Sooners weren’t going anywhere without OSU.

Truth is, OU preferred the Pac-10 or remaining in the Big 12 to joining the SEC. But as the realignment craze settles down, one thing abundantly clear is the solid relationship between the two Oklahoma schools.

The Bedlam brothers work together. Compete fiercely on the fields and courts. Their fans rail at one another in the stadiums and the workplaces. Refuse to wear orange or be caught dead in red.

But their leaders cooperate. Work together. Look out for the good of the state.

When the Pac-10 first came calling, it wanted just OU. Most every league does, because of the Sooners’ football prowess.

But Boren and Co. made it clear. Both or neither. Bedlam or bust. OU sources said the Pac-10 accepted that answer cordially and quickly, and while orangebloods.com reported Wednesday that the Pac-10 attempted to backtrack late and swap in Kansas in place of OSU, that plan had no traction. Not with the Sooners.

The Bedlam rivalry drives each school, probably less in football than most other sports, since OU-Texas trumps all on the gridiron. But a competitor is defined by his opponent. Sooner excellence propels OSU; Cowboy success motivates OU.

Both schools would be less without the other.

“We’re one state,” Boren said. “We’re tied together in so many ways.”

Just look at the presidents. OSU’s Burns Hargis, wildly popular, has an OU law degree. The veterinary teaching hospital in Stillwater is named for Boren; it was his pet project when he was Oklahoma’s governor in the 1970s.

Hargis and Boren work together on state appropriations with the legislature. Sure, their kinship on athletic matters is fueled in part by politics. If OU tried to leave OSU behind en route to the Pac-10 or SEC, the capitol would call for a special session before sundown.

But the alliance goes deeper than cash.

Unless your only family ties to higher education are cheering in coliseums or arguing in bars, most Oklahomans have ties to both schools.

The parents of Boren, who bleeds more crimson than did Cecil Samara, were OSU graduates. Boren’s mother was homecoming queen.

Hargis’ daughter runs a business in Norman, and there’s that interlocking OU on his law degree.

When both men talk about their Bedlam rival, they do so with affinity. Not political talk. Not jargon. True appreciation.

Boren feels that what is good for OSU is good for the state, and what’s good for the state is good for OU. Hargis feels that’s what good for OU is good for the state, and what’s good for the state is good for OSU.

OSU athletic director Mike Holder — heck, Boone Pickens himself does the same thing — talks glowingly about Sooner football, admitting the OU tradition is what OSU aspires to. Hard to admit you’re a little brother; hard to be a gracious big brother. But it’s great for all when it happens.

This isn’t the first sign of Bedlam class. When OU won the 2000 national championship, State athletic director Terry Don Phillips took out a full-page ad, congratulating the Sooners. When OU played basketball at Gallagher-Iba a couple of weeks after the tragic 2001 OSU plane crash, Kelvin Sampson’s Sooners came out in orange warmup shirts.

That’s the kind of bond apparently missing in Texas, where UT and Texas A&M got so crossways on the Pac-10 proposal, the entire deal blew up.

This Bedlam bond will make rabid fans recoil, cursing their school’s president for treason and cursing me for writing about it.

But that’s the kind of bond we need in Oklahoma. Maybe you can thrive working solo in Texas. But in Oklahoma, we need to work together.

Maybe some day, we won’t have such a bond. Maybe we’ll have leaders who look out only for their school, not their state.
<<<<<
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2014, 05:05 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,039 posts, read 2,167,151 times
Reputation: 826
Sorry to disappoint you but your article clearly states that the SEC talked to Oklahoma. No offer was made.

It is pure speculation that those talks would've led to OU joining. And you have another problem. The SEC does not invite schools. Period. The school must apply for membership. And dragging along Okie State is another reason OU isn't an attractive candidate. If, like your link said OU said that OSU must be included then why would the SEC invite OU? No way in hell the SEC would take OSU. If the SEC knew OU would not join without OSU then why invite them? You can't have it both ways.

Here's what happened. Slive talked to Boren. They decided OU in the SEC wasn't going to work. That hardly means OU turned down the SEC. Unless you are delusional.

And who cares if Oklahoma has had more success than Texas the last couple years in football. That has nothing to do with realignment. If you think it does then you are crazy and delusional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2014, 11:02 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Sorry to disappoint you but your article clearly states that the SEC talked to Oklahoma. No offer was made.

It is pure speculation that those talks would've led to OU joining. And you have another problem. The SEC does not invite schools. Period. The school must apply for membership. And dragging along Okie State is another reason OU isn't an attractive candidate. If, like your link said OU said that OSU must be included then why would the SEC invite OU? No way in hell the SEC would take OSU. If the SEC knew OU would not join without OSU then why invite them? You can't have it both ways.

Here's what happened. Slive talked to Boren. They decided OU in the SEC wasn't going to work. That hardly means OU turned down the SEC. Unless you are delusional.

And who cares if Oklahoma has had more success than Texas the last couple years in football. That has nothing to do with realignment. If you think it does then you are crazy and delusional.
You said Oklahoma wasn't attractive enough on it's own. The articles show otherwise, Skippy.

Oklahoma gave it's stipulations, such as bringing along the Pokes, and then the invite was rescinded. You're really trying to split hairs between interest/offer/invite. I think it's obvious you got exposed. Better luck next time, Yank. Maybe do a little research before you spout off and merely give your opinion. Facts always work better. Research brings the facts you need. Hope this helps.

More success the "last couple of years"? You call me "delusional" but you don't even know your college football history. Go back to the 50's youngin' and get back to me.

BTW, nothing personal, Ohio State will never have the tradition of Oklahoma. That's a fact.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 04-18-2014 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2014, 06:11 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,039 posts, read 2,167,151 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
You said Oklahoma wasn't attractive enough on it's own. The articles show otherwise, Skippy.

Oklahoma gave it's stipulations, such as bringing along the Pokes, and then the invite was rescinded. You're really trying to split hairs between interest/offer/invite. I think it's obvious you got exposed. Better luck next time, Yank. Maybe do a little research before you spout off and merely give your opinion. Facts always work better. Research brings the facts you need. Hope this helps.

More success the "last couple of years"? You call me "delusional" but you don't even know your college football history. Go back to the 50's youngin' and get back to me.

BTW, nothing personal, Ohio State will never have the tradition of Oklahoma. That's a fact.
Ohio State doesn't have the tradition of Oklahoma? lol. Whatever. They're about even.

The article you posted clearly said Oklahoma was not invited. A direct contradiction of what you say. Better luck next time, Skippy, maybe you should read your own article before posting. The SEC did not invite OU, then found out about OkieState, then rescinded the offer. These are university presidents at major institutions. Not retards.

The SEC did not invite Oklahoma. That's a fact. You can pretend interest and an invite is the same but they aren't even close. You say the SEC invited Oklahoma until they found out Oklahoma State had to come along. You should have said the SEC put some feelers out in Norman until they confirmed Okie State had to come along. No invite was extended.

This is one of the reasons Oklahoma can not go to another conference without Texas. Bringing Okie State is a deal breaker. Texas comes along and they bring so much money and prestige and recruiting and ratings that is overshadows anything Okie State does to hurt. It's the same reason Kansas can't leave. Nobody wants KSU.

Matter of fact, outside of Texas not one school in the Big 12 can go anywhere on its own. You lost Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Missouri. That leaves Texas and a bunch of low ball schools. This is proven by the fact that everyone thought the Big 12 was falling apart. Yet, the only serious inquiry was from the PAC and that included Texas. No one else in that loser conference got any interest from anyone. Though I think the WAC talked to Iowa State. LMAO.

The Big 12 also had to reach down a level and get a TCU team that wasn't even in a major conference for years just to have 10 teams. lol. You think the Big Ten, SEC or ACC have to do that? The only reason the Big 12 got WVU was because the SEC looked and said no, the ACC looked and said no, no way the BigTen would ever take them. No one else wanted them so the pathetic Big 12 got stuck with them. lol. If realignment showed us anything it was where the real power is: Big Ten/SEC, ACC/PAC, then a distant 5 the Big 12. Your conference lost 4 excellent schools. That should be a hint.

Saying interest is the same as an invite is delusional. It's like going to a job interview and not getting an offer. Then telling people you turned them down. It may make you fell better, but it's a lie.
Face it, Oklahoma is not going anywhere without permission from Austin. You all can't recruit if you don't play in Texas all the time anyway. All the talent at OU comes from Texas. The Texas Longhorns would be fine without Oklahoma. Oklahoma would quickly be a mid-major without Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2014, 11:13 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Ohio State doesn't have the tradition of Oklahoma? lol. Whatever. They're about even.

The article you posted clearly said Oklahoma was not invited. A direct contradiction of what you say. Better luck next time, Skippy, maybe you should read your own article before posting. The SEC did not invite OU, then found out about OkieState, then rescinded the offer. These are university presidents at major institutions. Not retards.

The SEC did not invite Oklahoma. That's a fact. You can pretend interest and an invite is the same but they aren't even close. You say the SEC invited Oklahoma until they found out Oklahoma State had to come along. You should have said the SEC put some feelers out in Norman until they confirmed Okie State had to come along. No invite was extended.

This is one of the reasons Oklahoma can not go to another conference without Texas. Bringing Okie State is a deal breaker. Texas comes along and they bring so much money and prestige and recruiting and ratings that is overshadows anything Okie State does to hurt. It's the same reason Kansas can't leave. Nobody wants KSU.

Matter of fact, outside of Texas not one school in the Big 12 can go anywhere on its own. You lost Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Missouri. That leaves Texas and a bunch of low ball schools. This is proven by the fact that everyone thought the Big 12 was falling apart. Yet, the only serious inquiry was from the PAC and that included Texas. No one else in that loser conference got any interest from anyone. Though I think the WAC talked to Iowa State. LMAO.

The Big 12 also had to reach down a level and get a TCU team that wasn't even in a major conference for years just to have 10 teams. lol. You think the Big Ten, SEC or ACC have to do that? The only reason the Big 12 got WVU was because the SEC looked and said no, the ACC looked and said no, no way the BigTen would ever take them. No one else wanted them so the pathetic Big 12 got stuck with them. lol. If realignment showed us anything it was where the real power is: Big Ten/SEC, ACC/PAC, then a distant 5 the Big 12. Your conference lost 4 excellent schools. That should be a hint.

Saying interest is the same as an invite is delusional. It's like going to a job interview and not getting an offer. Then telling people you turned them down. It may make you fell better, but it's a lie.
Face it, Oklahoma is not going anywhere without permission from Austin. You all can't recruit if you don't play in Texas all the time anyway. All the talent at OU comes from Texas. The Texas Longhorns would be fine without Oklahoma. Oklahoma would quickly be a mid-major without Texas.
To the bold, you totally contradict yourself, backpeddled, and regurgitated my own words pertaining to the SEC not wanting Oklahoma State. Thanks!

The rest of your post has nothing to do with the dialogue. You're just trying to make OU look bad when it's one of the top programs of all-time. You talk more about the dynamics of the Big XII than the Sooners, specifically. Sorry Skipster you're changing your tune mid-stride because you were exposed. You made it easy.

As for Ohio St. with the same/even tradition as Oklahoma? You're wrong again. Ohio State might be around 4-5, but you're not at the top with the Sooners and Bammer. This actually has been kinda fun to see someone so ridiculously off-base. We've had a few on here from time to time (one was a West Virginia fan I believe), but you're quickly replacing him.

Again. Read. It helps. Good tidings to your reassessment of your own false assertions:

Ivan Maisel: Prestigious Oklahoma is consistency over flash - ESPN

Scout.com: The Greatest Program Of All-Time Is ...

Oklahoma Sooners are the best program in the BCS era - ESPN The Magazine - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top