U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2016, 10:59 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,412,190 times
Reputation: 1322

Advertisements

When I think of the Big12... I think of OU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2016, 02:09 AM
 
Location: The Bayou City
3,220 posts, read 3,733,345 times
Reputation: 1457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Hmmm? Did you miss OU winning its dominating 9th Big XII title?

No mistaking, Texas Christian and Baylor are very good, but OU owns this league.
Heh.. definitely didn't miss anything. Just happen to realize that the only reason OU won the Big 12 this year was because they didn't have to face a healthy Baylor or TCU (This became even more apparent with OU again getting blown out by Clemson). Baylor and TCUs QBs were injured when they played OU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Who said I was just looking at the last few years? I was looking over the whole history of the Big XII. I think "owning" or "dominating" are very fitting words when applied to OU's success and reign in the Big XII. OU has nine conference titles. The next closest team (or teams) sit around two conference championships. That's a big gap that won't be closed any time soon....and when (if) it does, OU will probably already be in the PAC12South or the SECWest.

With the exception of possibly Alabama and maybe Ohio St., has any other team in college football had that kind of success in their conference over the last couple of decades? Probably not.

But if you want to focus on the last few years that's fine too. OU still has the biggest win by far of any Big XII team in the last several years by defeating Bammer in the 2013 Sugar Bowl. Also, the fact that OU was the first team to make the playoff demonstrates that the program is still a force to be reckoned with.....at least in the Big XII. Like it or not, Baylor nor Texas Christian are the Big XII's flagship program. That spot is already taken up by OU. Texas Christian and Baylor are certainly competitive though.
The fact that OU was the first Big 12 team to make the playoffs demonstrates that the playoff committee knows they screwed up by leaving Baylor/TCU out last year, so they gave our conference a chance this year.. and OU blew it.

OU is hardly "the" flagship of the Big 12. Maybe to you Oklahomans, but unfortunately for the rest of the Big 12, that title still belongs to UT..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2016, 06:50 AM
 
4,022 posts, read 1,850,529 times
Reputation: 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Heh.. definitely didn't miss anything. Just happen to realize that the only reason OU won the Big 12 this year was because they didn't have to face a healthy Baylor or TCU (This became even more apparent with OU again getting blown out by Clemson). Baylor and TCUs QBs were injured when they played OU.



The fact that OU was the first Big 12 team to make the playoffs demonstrates that the playoff committee knows they screwed up by leaving Baylor/TCU out last year, so they gave our conference a chance this year.. and OU blew it.

OU is hardly "the" flagship of the Big 12. Maybe to you Oklahomans, but unfortunately for the rest of the Big 12, that title still belongs to UT..
Texas was in the SouthWest conference during their glory years. The Big 12 was formed in 1996, and since that time Oklahoma has been pretty dominating.

8 Conference titles in 20 seasons by my count. They split one with Kansas State back in 2012, but Kansas State represented the Big12 in the Fiesta, while the Sooners were trounced by A&M in the Cotton.

Next closest is Texas with a mere 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 06:03 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,703,380 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
When I think of the Big12... I think of OU.
Mr. GE nailed it...and I can promise you he ain't an OU or Big XII fan.

When it comes to football, most people think of OU when the Big XII is brought up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 06:11 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,703,380 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Heh.. definitely didn't miss anything. Just happen to realize that the only reason OU won the Big 12 this year was because they didn't have to face a healthy Baylor or TCU (This became even more apparent with OU again getting blown out by Clemson). Baylor and TCUs QBs were injured when they played OU.



The fact that OU was the first Big 12 team to make the playoffs demonstrates that the playoff committee knows they screwed up by leaving Baylor/TCU out last year, so they gave our conference a chance this year.. and OU blew it.

OU is hardly "the" flagship of the Big 12. Maybe to you Oklahomans, but unfortunately for the rest of the Big 12, that title still belongs to UT..
Last time I checked, Seth Russell nor Boyken play defense. And OU ran all over ya'll's defense. 300 yards?....whatever it was, it was a bunch and that was the reason that BU and Texas Christian lost.

Get a better defense and quit falling back on an excuse. (If I had a dime for every time OU had a big player out for a big game. It happens to everyone.) If BU or Texas Christian couldn't win without their starting QB's then that's just a sign of lack of depth.

The point still stands, OU ran all over both teams imposing its will. The two teams which beat OU this year, Tejas and Clemson, stuffed OU's run....and they won the game.

Also, your assertion that OU was rewarded the playoff because Baylor and Texas Christian got left out last year is nothing more than conjecture. Last year Baylor lost to West Virginia. Texas Christian lost to Baylor. If you wanted to be in the playoff then you should have gone undefeated or, at the very least, quit playing the weakest non-conference schedule of all Power 5 schools.

And, yes, OU is the flagship school of the Big XII when it comes to playing football. I'm not talking about marketing or making the most money....sure that's Tejas, but when it comes to actually playing the game OU has set the standard. Again, 9 conference titles to the next closest.....2. It's hard to argue with facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 11:09 PM
 
Location: The Bayou City
3,220 posts, read 3,733,345 times
Reputation: 1457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Mr. GE nailed it...and I can promise you he ain't an OU or Big XII fan.

When it comes to football, most people think of OU when the Big XII is brought up.
Hmm.. I wonder where Mr GE is located/from.. People in Texas dont have that same sentiment about OU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 11:41 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,412,190 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Hmm.. I wonder where Mr GE is located/from.. People in Texas dont have that same sentiment about OU.
I'm from SEC country... born in TN, educated in SC, and lived in GA my entire adult life.

I hate the Big12 and every school in it. And the school I hate the MOST is OU! They are and have always been the threat... The school I hate next to OU is Nebraska (and they aren't even in the Conference anymore). Texas is not even on the radar... They are a Non-Factor!

As much as I hate OU... I recognize their dominance. My 10 year old son recognizes that... The rest of the Big12 should be happy they have an OU because the conference wouldnt exist without them. Period...

We'll gladly take OU in the SEC... And no one else. And seeing as how the rest of the Big12 doesn't understand their bell cow... This needs to happen sooner than later so the Big12 can die already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 11:43 PM
 
Location: The Bayou City
3,220 posts, read 3,733,345 times
Reputation: 1457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Last time I checked, Seth Russell nor Boyken play defense. And OU ran all over ya'll's defense. 300 yards?....whatever it was, it was a bunch and that was the reason that BU and Texas Christian lost.

Get a better defense and quit falling back on an excuse. (If I had a dime for every time OU had a big player out for a big game. It happens to everyone.) If BU or Texas Christian couldn't win without their starting QB's then that's just a sign of lack of depth.

The point still stands, OU ran all over both teams imposing its will. The two teams which beat OU this year, Tejas and Clemson, stuffed OU's run....and they won the game.

Also, your assertion that OU was rewarded the playoff because Baylor and Texas Christian got left out last year is nothing more than conjecture. Last year Baylor lost to West Virginia. Texas Christian lost to Baylor. If you wanted to be in the playoff then you should have gone undefeated or, at the very least, quit playing the weakest non-conference schedule of all Power 5 schools.

And, yes, OU is the flagship school of the Big XII when it comes to playing football. I'm not talking about marketing or making the most money....sure that's Tejas, but when it comes to actually playing the game OU has set the standard. Again, 9 conference titles to the next closest.....2. It's hard to argue with facts.
Huh? Y'all rushed for 241 yards. Baylor just got done rushing 645 yards in its bowl game.. lol...

I agree though, If Baylor had a solid defense we wouldn't even be having this discussion.. But what big players did OU have out during the game? Oh, and the QB we were playing against OU, Stidham, was playing through injuries, one of which included a broken ankle..

You want to talk about depth? Baylor just used 5 different "QBs" in the UNC game, with our number 1 and 2 QBs out, the best wide receiver in the country out, and our best running back out. AND we still destroyed offensive bowl records. So our 18 year old true freshman couldn't handle Oklahoma in his second collegiate start ever, battling through injuries and poor conditions. Im not going to sit here and make excuses, we should have had a backup plan formulated before our back up QB got hurt.. but its clear if Baylor were playing as healthy as OU was, OU would of lost for the 3rd year in a row..

You say Baylor needed to go undefeated to make the playoffs, yet Oklahoma lost to Texas.. and still made the playoffs. Now why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2016, 12:02 AM
 
Location: The Bayou City
3,220 posts, read 3,733,345 times
Reputation: 1457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I'm from SEC country... born in TN, educated in SC, and lived in GA my entire adult life.

I hate the Big12 and every school in it. And the school I hate the MOST is OU! They are and have always been the threat... The school I hate next to OU is Nebraska (and they aren't even in the Conference anymore). Texas is not even on the radar... They are a Non-Factor!

As much as I hate OU... I recognize their dominance. My 10 year old son recognizes that... The rest of the Big12 should be happy they have an OU because the conference wouldnt exist without them. Period...

We'll gladly take OU in the SEC... And no one else. And seeing as how the rest of the Big12 doesn't understand their bell cow... This needs to happen sooner than later so the Big12 can die already!
Well then... lulz. I agree OU has historically been the biggest threat from the Big 12. Thats hard to argue. What I can argue is that over the past few years there has been an uprising of new Big 12 powers that are challenging OU.. those programs should not be underestimated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2016, 10:30 AM
 
500 posts, read 381,317 times
Reputation: 770
Please, no, no, just no. No more schools from the Big 12 in the SEC.


I'm in Big 12 country and followed Texas growing up. Only fell out of favor of them due to other issues not related to the football program. However, SEC, always.

Personally, I think the Big 12 should bring in Houston and Memphis. They can also have the aggies back.
OU needs to ask the aggies who their big rival is now in their conference. They do not have that one "big ticket" game where fans on both sides get all into the rivalry like the TX/tamu was. If we were to lose the TX/OU weekend, it really would put all of the schools in Texas and Oklahoma without that one big rivalry game. Don't say it would be Alabama. They already have their rivals in place and the barners are on the top of the list with the Iron Bowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top