U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:21 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,415,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Well then... lulz. I agree OU has historically been the biggest threat from the Big 12. Thats hard to argue. What I can argue is that over the past few years there has been an uprising of new Big 12 powers that are challenging OU.. those programs should not be underestimated.

I do not think we are underestimating them... but a couple of years of success does not make for the conference stud. That is consistency... and until Baylor/TCU do this for a decade, OU is still the stallion in the Big12.

Somehow this discussion has made me into an OU cheerleader... let me go throw up now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
Please, no, no, just no. No more schools from the Big 12 in the SEC.

That was Sarcasm from me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 06:35 PM

3,220 posts, read 3,739,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I do not think we are underestimating them... but a couple of years of success does not make for the conference stud. That is consistency... and until Baylor/TCU do this for a decade, OU is still the stallion in the Big12.

Somehow this discussion has made me into an OU cheerleader... let me go throw up now!

Fair enough.. we were late to the party, but we've arrived none the less..

Old 01-08-2016, 06:39 PM

3,220 posts, read 3,739,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
Personally, I think the Big 12 should bring in Houston and Memphis. They can also have the aggies back.
LOL.. what makes you think the Big 12 would want to add Houston or Memphis..? we appreciate the offer on the Aggies.. but you can keep them

Old 01-09-2016, 03:48 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,249 posts, read 19,192,166 times
Quote:
Are you talking about a decade in the conference or just in general?

Because TCU has been a 10-win program consistently since '99... and JUST got into the conference and has been in playoff talks twice within the first 4 years of being a member...

Old 01-09-2016, 02:19 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,714,971 times
Quote:
I'm from SEC country... born in TN, educated in SC, and lived in GA my entire adult life.

I hate the Big12 and every school in it. And the school I hate the MOST is OU! They are and have always been the threat... The school I hate next to OU is Nebraska (and they aren't even in the Conference anymore). Texas is not even on the radar... They are a Non-Factor!

As much as I hate OU... I recognize their dominance. My 10 year old son recognizes that... The rest of the Big12 should be happy they have an OU because the conference wouldnt exist without them. Period...

We'll gladly take OU in the SEC... And no one else. And seeing as how the rest of the Big12 doesn't understand their bell cow... This needs to happen sooner than later so the Big12 can die already!
To the first bold, so true. The upstarts have no idea how good they have it.

As for the second, most OU fans I know are ready to make the jump. I'm one of them. It would be incredibly fortuitous for OU and the SEC. The SEC would make its money and OU would be in the Biggest Big Dog League playing marquee matchups every Saturday. The SECWest would have to be restructured. It would probably look like this:

SECWest
A&M
Alabama
Arkansas
Louisiana St.
Oklahoma
Mississippi
Mississippi St.
Missouri

I don't know if the SECEast would agree to taking Bammer and it is geographically more west than Auburn so it's unfortunate for the rest of the SECWest that Bammer stays in the West.

The biggest hurdle to it happening is that OU's uppercrust has not shown it wants to leave Oklahoma State yet. Inability to leave Oklahoma State the first time was the only reason that OU didn't go with A&M a few years back.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Huh? Y'all rushed for 241 yards. Baylor just got done rushing 645 yards in its bowl game.. lol...

I agree though, If Baylor had a solid defense we wouldn't even be having this discussion.. But what big players did OU have out during the game? Oh, and the QB we were playing against OU, Stidham, was playing through injuries, one of which included a broken ankle..

You want to talk about depth? Baylor just used 5 different "QBs" in the UNC game, with our number 1 and 2 QBs out, the best wide receiver in the country out, and our best running back out. AND we still destroyed offensive bowl records. So our 18 year old true freshman couldn't handle Oklahoma in his second collegiate start ever, battling through injuries and poor conditions. Im not going to sit here and make excuses, we should have had a backup plan formulated before our back up QB got hurt.. but its clear if Baylor were playing as healthy as OU was, OU would of lost for the 3rd year in a row..

You say Baylor needed to go undefeated to make the playoffs, yet Oklahoma lost to Texas.. and still made the playoffs. Now why is that?
So we're in agreement, Baylor's D (especially run defense) needs some work. It would have made the difference this year.

To the bold, you have no way of knowing that. Again, all teams suffer injuries at inopportune times. Remember when we lost Shep a few years ago to that targeting hit or last year when T-Knight was virtually paralyzed by Oakman? It happens. Baylor's inability was due to a lack of depth that night. There's tons of games all our teams "woulda, shoulda, coulda." I sure wish D-Murray wasn't hurt against Florida a few years ago...perhaps another Natty for OU. But we'll never know. Nothing is for certain even when you have all your players. It's sour grapes. Nothing more.

And the reason that OU got into the playoff is that we actually had a respectable non-conference schedule. We beat an SEC team at their place. A pretty big place....over a 100,000 fans. That's nothing to sneeze at and clearly the Committee rewarded OU.

So the formula Baylor needs to adopt is OU's. If you want to be a Big Dog you've got to schedule/play like a Big Dog. Get a better defense and quit playing Incarnate Word/Lamar for starters. You have no one to blame but your AD/Briles for this methodology. So far it hasn't worked. Get a better non-con.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 01-09-2016 at 02:46 PM..

Old 01-09-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Well then... lulz. I agree OU has historically been the biggest threat from the Big 12. Thats hard to argue. What I can argue is that over the past few years there has been an uprising of new Big 12 powers that are challenging OU.. those programs should not be underestimated.
We weren't arguing against this. Texas Christian, Baylor, and even West Virginia have OU's and I'm guessin' everybody else's respect.

The point of contention was just that OU is the flagship university of the Big XII when it comes to playing football. Like it or not, it's a fact, not only regionally but nationally.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Are you talking about a decade in the conference or just in general?

Because TCU has been a 10-win program consistently since '99... and JUST got into the conference and has been in playoff talks twice within the first 4 years of being a member...
Clearly he meant in the Big XII. You'd be wearin' some purple colored glasses if you said those first couple of years Texas Christian didn't experience some growing pains.

It should have been expected with better competition.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
LOL.. what makes you think the Big 12 would want to add Houston or Memphis..? we appreciate the offer on the Aggies.. but you can keep them
Sorry, I know the Aggies are hard to deal with, but they would have kept our conference afloat. As a smaller school with no guarantee of a Big Dog invite, you should've clamored (as OU did) for A&M to stay and keep this conference stable and respectable.

This OU fan would gladly take A&M and Nebraska back in a heartbeat. Heck, I'd be happy if we got Mizzou and Colorado back. At least they're state schools with large fanbases and a lot of money.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:

I'm really diggin' the new Mr. GE! I'm guessin' bigger and better things for you in 2016!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or