Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 08:20 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times

Advertisements

for a number of years here, i've been touting a national championship based on having 8 major conferences having their champions play in a tournament. My hope would have been that the 8 conferences would cover the nation geographically.

I'd like to alter this suggestion to create something more inclusive. Instead of seeing 8 national conferences, I could see going with 7. Each would have 12 teams. The tournament, of course, based on powers of 2, would still have 8 slots.

The 8th slot? I would go to the winner of a short tournament between mid major conferences who would join the big 7 winners of the major conferences.

Thus both majors and mid majors would play their own level of competition and the mid majors would still have a chance (sort of like a wildcard in the NFL) to be part of the game.

my major conference line up might look something like this (with necessary changes); let me know what you think of the suggestion (not the grouping below…..they just show concept)

EASTERN
Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
West Viriginia
Louisville
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Kansas
Kansas State

ATLANTIC COAST
North Carolina
Duke
North Carolina State
Wake Forest
Clemson
South Carolina
Florida State
Miami
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Missouri
Iowa State

SOUTHEASTERN
LSU
Tulane
Ole Miss
Miss. State
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

BIG DOZEN
Minnesota
Iowa
Cincinnati
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Illinois
Indiana
Purdue
Notre Dame
Michigan State
Michigan
Ohio State

SOUTHWEST
Texas Tech
SMU
TCU
Baylor
Texas A&M
Texas
Rice
Houston
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Colorado

MOUNTAIN WEST
New Mexico
UTEP
Air Force
Colorado State
Wyoming
Boise State
Nevada
UNLV
Nebraska
BYU
Hawaii

PACIFIC 12
Wash. State
Washington
Oregon State
Oregon
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Arizona State
Arizona
SDSU
Fresno St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,025 times
I think it's a pretty good idea. Unfortunately, it makes too much sense for the NCAA.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:49 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
I think it's a pretty good idea. Unfortunately, it makes too much sense for the NCAA.
you're probably correct on that, yman. so at this point, i'm just going to be happy that you think it was a good idea. thanks.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:10 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
Considering schools have already shown they have little to no allegiance to their longstanding conference, this seems like a pretty solid plan.

With your alignment, teams could play 11 games, 8 conference games and 3 non-conference games and then each conference would have a title game to determine who gets the playoff birth.

I also think you could add in some of the MAC teams to create an 8th conference.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:19 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Considering schools have already shown they have little to no allegiance to their longstanding conference, this seems like a pretty solid plan.

With your alignment, teams could play 11 games, 8 conference games and 3 non-conference games and then each conference would have a title game to determine who gets the playoff birth.

I also think you could add in some of the MAC teams to create an 8th conference.
There have actually been very few schools to show lack of allegiance to their conferences, especially among the majors. Most of the shift has been from the Big East, with others like Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, and Texas A&M jumping ship as well. That is still a very small number compared to the overall number that have stayed put, so I think it's a little dramatic to make that generalization.

The conferences are pretty important to players, fans and students the way they are set up currently. I don't see any major changes coming anytime soon.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

my major conference line up might look something like this (with necessary changes); let me know what you think of the suggestion (not the grouping below…..they just show concept)

EASTERN
Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
West Viriginia
Louisville
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Kansas
Kansas State

ATLANTIC COAST
North Carolina
Duke
North Carolina State
Wake Forest
Clemson
South Carolina
Florida State
Miami
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Missouri
Iowa State

SOUTHEASTERN
LSU
Tulane
Ole Miss
Miss. State
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

BIG DOZEN
Minnesota
Iowa
Cincinnati
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Illinois
Indiana
Purdue
Notre Dame
Michigan State
Michigan
Ohio State

SOUTHWEST
Texas Tech
SMU
TCU
Baylor
Texas A&M
Texas
Rice
Houston
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Colorado

MOUNTAIN WEST
New Mexico
UTEP
Air Force
Colorado State
Wyoming
Boise State
Nevada
UNLV
Nebraska
BYU
Hawaii

PACIFIC 12
Wash. State
Washington
Oregon State
Oregon
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Arizona State
Arizona
SDSU
Fresno St.
You could probably just have an Atlantic Coast (minus the Kansas teams/Missouri/Iowa State) combined with the East Coast for one conference. It would mostly be what is already the ACC.

I'm missing UConn, East Carolina, Marshall, and UAB to name a few...and why Florida in the SEC and FSU/Miami in a different one? Some of the placements don't really make sense.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:11 AM

203 posts, read 326,388 times
For those who haven't seen it yet, this is my suggestion that would/could meet the criteria you are shooting for.

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...aa-format.html

Old 02-28-2014, 12:35 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times
Good idea edsg25! Sadly, like someone said above, the NCAA will probably never do anything like this.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:31 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
for a number of years here, i've been touting a national championship based on having 8 major conferences having their champions play in a tournament. My hope would have been that the 8 conferences would cover the nation geographically.

I'd like to alter this suggestion to create something more inclusive. Instead of seeing 8 national conferences, I could see going with 7. Each would have 12 teams. The tournament, of course, based on powers of 2, would still have 8 slots.

The 8th slot? I would go to the winner of a short tournament between mid major conferences who would join the big 7 winners of the major conferences.

Thus both majors and mid majors would play their own level of competition and the mid majors would still have a chance (sort of like a wildcard in the NFL) to be part of the game.

EASTERN
Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
West Viriginia
Louisville
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Kansas
Kansas State

ATLANTIC COAST
North Carolina
Duke
North Carolina State
Wake Forest
Clemson
South Carolina
Florida State
Miami
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Missouri
Iowa State

SOUTHEASTERN
LSU
Tulane
Ole Miss
Miss. State
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

BIG DOZEN
Minnesota
Iowa
Cincinnati
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Illinois
Indiana
Purdue
Notre Dame
Michigan State
Michigan
Ohio State

SOUTHWEST
Texas Tech
SMU
TCU
Baylor
Texas A&M
Texas
Rice
Houston
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Colorado

MOUNTAIN WEST
New Mexico
UTEP
Air Force
Colorado State
Wyoming
Boise State
Nevada
UNLV
Nebraska
BYU
Hawaii

PACIFIC 12
Wash. State
Washington
Oregon State
Oregon
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Arizona State
Arizona
SDSU
Fresno St.
Great idea.

You left Tulsa out and I think it's a good enough team to warrant inclusion. I'd put Colorado over in the Mountain West and add Tulsa to the Southwest and I think you've got a done deal.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Great idea.

You left Tulsa out and I think it's a good enough team to warrant inclusion. I'd put Colorado over in the Mountain West and add Tulsa to the Southwest and I think you've got a done deal.
Other than the other missing programs I mentioned above, and I'm sure there are others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football