U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 03:55 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,597,814 times

Advertisements

The way I think this will wind up working, if it ever happens and no matter how you divide the teams, is there will be the six big boy conferences, one conference that sits awkwardly in between as a potential major conference and a mid major, and a clear mid-major conference.

The reason I say this is because there will be one conference that is unattractive market and profitability wise. *Highland conference in your example*

And there will be awkward conference mix of competitive and attractive teams from smaller markets, and weak teams from big markets. *Metropolis conference in your example*

(VA Tech is a small market...middle of Virginia...but is very successful; Rutgers is near NYC but is not an amazing program)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 03:54 AM

462 posts, read 582,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
College football is so money driven, it is impossible to think logically about breaking up teams into smaller conferences that don't have intriguing matchups and TV markets to make the networks salivate.

The Cowboy conference -- moronic name by the way -- is nothing more than the old Southwest Conference put back together with two (increasingly irrelevant) Big 8/12 schools and a patsy.

There is nothing intriguing about an inbred, Texas-centric conference. That's why the SWC broke up and had to merge with the Big 8 to survive.
I didn't want to use real conference names, and all the other names I thought of were names of smaller conferences. Besides

Cowboys = Cowboys
Red Raiders = Cowboys
Sooners = similar to Cowboys, pioneers who settled Oklahoma
Aggies = "agricultural". Usually in Texas that means cattle ranching.
Longhorns - rounded up by Cowboys
Bears - hunted by cowboys in the west for skins.
Mustangs - tamed by cowboys

It was close, but "Cowboy Conference" slightly beat out "Stockbroker Conference".

Old 07-01-2014, 05:49 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
College football is so money driven, it is impossible to think logically about breaking up teams into smaller conferences that don't have intriguing matchups and TV markets to make the networks salivate.

The Cowboy conference -- moronic name by the way -- is nothing more than the old Southwest Conference put back together with two (increasingly irrelevant) Big 8/12 schools and a patsy.

There is nothing intriguing about an inbred, Texas-centric conference. That's why the SWC broke up and had to merge with the Big 8 to survive.
I know this is all for fun but I agree with this anyway. Texas knows this and this is why they aren't interested ever to bring back the old swc. In fact, they aren't too enamored with TCU in the conference.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:36 PM

I know this asks for 12 teams per conference, but I am thinking that that isn't feasible market wise. I will make 16 per conference set up to compare to the 12 team per conference set up.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:45 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,444,167 times
Just doing 84 teams - I feel things are already stretched a little thin as it is.

Northeast Conference:

Army, Boston College, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Maryland, Navy, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pitt, Rutgers, Temple, Virginia

This is arguably the toughest conference to put together. It's easily the most artificial because there's simply so few true D-1 schools in the Northeast. Penn State is the only real traditional powerhouse from this region, so Notre Dame is brought in to keep this conference semi-relevant. Virginia, Navy and Maryland aren't truly Northeastern, but none are culturally Southern so are brought in here as fillers (and UMD and UVA are respectable at hoops to boot)

Midwest Conference:

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin.

Keeping the original Big Ten, and throwing in Nebraska for football and Mizzou for hoops.

Great Plains Conference:
Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

Basically the western fringes of the SEC West and the remainder of the Big 12. Arkansas gets traditional rival Texas back, and LSU retains old rival Texas A&M. SMU is a bit of a stretch, but isn't exactly the butt of jokes anymore.

Southeastern Conference:
Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Kentucky, Miami, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
Probably still the toughest conference in college football. Trading LSU and Arkansas for Florida State and Clemson probably makes it tougher yet.

Atlantic Coast Conference:

Central Florida, Duke, ECU, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Memphis, North Carolina, North Carolina State, South Florida, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, West Virginia

Another difficult conference to concoct as a there's more than a couple of fillers. Not the academic powerhouse of the original ACC (Louisville, Memphis, WVU, and the Florida schools drag it way down) and not much improved on the gridiron, it's still a formidable hoops conference as pretty much all the Carolina Schools carry the banner.

Mountain West Conference:

Air Force, Boise State, BYU, Colorado State, Fresno State, Hawaii, New Mexico, Nevada, North Dakota State, UNLV, Utah State, Wyoming

Blah. Easily the weakest conference in football, with the exception of BYU (no disrespect meant toward BSU and NDSU) none have had sustained history nor a decent-sized stadium, very thinly populated area, probably not going to have much more than 1 or 2 teams represented in the Top 25 at any given point. Boise State has cooled off some, but still a respected brand name, and North Dakota State would almost certainly compete for the league crown right off the bat.

Pacific 12 Conference:

Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Colorado, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington, Washington State

Leaving it as-is. The PAC hates change more than someone with Asperger's.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:25 AM

I'm sure this will cause some controversy. I did 6 conferences w/ 16 teams each. Football was the main sport put into consideration, but not the only one. 96 Teams total. I used Hamtonfordbury's rankings system to help me.

I also worked to preserve very important rivalries.

Pacific Athletic Conference (PAC):
North:
#13 Washington
#25 California
#34 Stanford
#54 Oregon
#65 Washington State
#70 Oregon State
#72 San Jose State
#78 Boise State

South:
#7 USC
#17 UCLA
#21 Arizona State
#36 Arizona
#50 San Diego State
#60 Fresno State
#86 New Mexico
#104 UNLV

Notes: PAC is pretty set for football with most of it's current members there. In basketball is where the biggest gains occurred...SDSU, New Mexico, and UNLV are currently pretty good...with the latter having a national title. This adds on to the good Basketball schools it already has...Arizona, UCLA, Arizona State.

Wild West Conference (WWC):
North:
#18 Nebraska
#27 Texas Tech
#30 BYU
#38 Colorado
#53 Utah
#55 Kansas
#56 Iowa State
#66 Kansas State

South:
#2 Texas
#6 Texas A&M
#16 Oklahoma
#49 Houston
#57 Oklahoma State
#61 Baylor
#64 TCU
#73 SMU

Notes: The Wild West is appropriate name, I think.

B1G Conference (B1G):
West:
#11 Wisconsin
#15 Notre Dame
#19 Minnesota
#22 Illinois
#29 Purdue
#32 Iowa
#35 Indiana
#63 Northwestern

East:
#1 Ohio State
#3 Michigan
#8 Michigan State
#48 Rutgers
#52 Cincinnati
#59 Boston College
#76 Temple
#80 UConn

Notes: This is where I expect some criticism. The B1G clearly wants to reach out to the Northeastern markets, so why not add UConn and BC (along with the RL addition of Rutgers). UConn helps add muscle to the basketball strength, while BC adds to the Ice hockey strength.

Nebraska left, but Notre Dame is in now. Cincy is pretty good in both football/basketball usually. Cincy also might attract some of the recruits from the northern portion of Kentucky into the Big Ten. Kentucky is a decent state for recruiting, I believe. Temple is usually good in basketball.

Southeastern Conference (SEC):
West:
#10 Alabama
#20 LSU
#24 Missouri
#26 Auburn
#43 Arkansas
#44 Kentucky
#62 Ole Miss
#67 Mississippi State

East:
#4 Florida
#9 Georgia
#12 Florida State
#14 Tennessee
#37 South Carolina
#46 Miami
#47 Georgia Tech
#75 Vanderbilt

Notes: SEC is still stacked as heck. Football, and baseball wise.

Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC):
North:
#5 Penn State
#28 Virginia Tech
#31 Pittsburgh
#41 Maryland
#42 Virginia
#45 Syracuse
#58 West Virginia
#112 Marshall

South:
#23 UNC
#33 North Carolina State
#39 Clemson
#51 UCF
#68 ECU
#69 Louisville
#71 Duke
#92 Wake Forest

Notes: In the north... PSU, VT, WVU, Pitt, and Syracuse have history and recent years on their side when it comes to being decent at football. PSU and Pitt are the only "traditional" powers here, but WVU and VT have proven time and time again that they can play football. Syracuse was not always crappy at football...I expect to return the form eventually.

In the South division...Clemson is the only major football school. UNC is always decent. ECU, UCF and Louisville have proven they are decent at football.

Basketball wise: Syracuse, Maryland, UNC, NC State, Duke, and Louisville...that's pretty stacked right there. WVU, UVA, and Pitt are pretty good too.

In Baseball...UNC, Clemson, NC State, UVA, and Louisville are pretty good.

American Athletic Conference (AAC):
North:
#79 Navy
#81 Army
#82 Northern Illinois
#85 Miami (OH)
#93 Mid Tennessee State
#99 Ohio
#109 Western Kentucky
#110 Ball State

South:
#40 South Florida
#74 North Texas
#83 Rice
#84 Air Force
#94 Tulsa
#96 UTEP
#105 Southern Miss
#107 Memphis

Notes: Yea, I don't know.

I am pretty sure I'll make some changes...mainly to add football beef to the ACC or Big Ten.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:38 PM

9,217 posts, read 8,306,163 times
The SEC will never get rid of any schools and I fully expect Evil Genius Mike Slive to add two more members.

Those two members will never be:

Clemson
FSU

Who knows who will end up with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or