Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:50 AM

818 posts, read 855,337 times

Advertisements

thoughts? What's holding them back? Aside from sanctions. They fell of HARD after Coker left. They haven't won a bowl game since 06( with Coker and they were ineligible in 2012). They need to get that Schnellenberger/Johnson attitude back and bring back the " State of Miami" recruiting scheme. What is this team missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 06:00 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,439,016 times
Al Golden having talks with Penn St leaves Miami in question. Defensive coordinator needs to get canned. Top 5 team... nowhere near. Top 25 return potentially if Golden stays and Defense drastically changes. Positive Duke Johnson should be back.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:46 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,314,766 times
Yes, but not in the next couple of years. But eventually, someone's going to realize that South Florida's just a great spot for a football program, and the U has the pedigree to get the recruits there.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:57 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,120,700 times
I think Golden is committed to Miami for the long haul----there have been pretty strong suitors trying to lure him away, but it looks like he is at UM for a long run.

He is a good solid coach and I do think he will have UM back to top 5 contention. I like the direction UM is headed and another year or so away from the latest ncaa trouble will see the Canes moving up.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:09 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,072,402 times
They'll get back. Then have to eventually just from their location alone.

It's the most talent rich area of the country by far. Once they harness it again and get their coaching together, they'll be back.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:20 AM

278 posts, read 276,446 times
Miami has never been about consistency. They go on a run, then get hit with sanctions. Can they repeat this yet again.... I believe so. But the very thing everyone is mentioning: Talent rich recruiting, is also their curse. They get questionable character guys with questionable motives. Eventually it all comes crashing down and needs to be rebuilt

"We have a ton of [difference making] guys in the Pros" is no longer a recruiting pitch. Now it needs to be "You are a local guy. Let's get Miami back on the Map"

The only major hurdle I might see is: UF & FSU have won a combined 3 Titles in the past 7 seasons. At some point the 80's become a distant memory for future 16-18 year old kids. Can Miami keep up, without dropping back to the UCF & USF's? As a FSU fan, I say yes they can. No matter how much Miami struggles, they always have enormous speed & athleticism which allows them to compete for the ACC Championship Game. Eventually a Jameis Winston type will fall in their lap and really that's half the battle right there.

I also think the slight regress of Oregon (Not comparable to the Trojans of the mid 2000's), decline of the Big12 and continued mediocrity of the Big 10, works in Miami's favor. That talent will remain in the region

Old 03-20-2014, 09:11 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,072,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
Miami has never been about consistency. They go on a run, then get hit with sanctions. Can they repeat this yet again.... I believe so. But the very thing everyone is mentioning: Talent rich recruiting, is also their curse. They get questionable character guys with questionable motives. Eventually it all comes crashing down and needs to be rebuilt

"We have a ton of [difference making] guys in the Pros" is no longer a recruiting pitch. Now it needs to be "You are a local guy. Let's get Miami back on the Map"

The only major hurdle I might see is: UF & FSU have won a combined 3 Titles in the past 7 seasons. At some point the 80's become a distant memory for future 16-18 year old kids. Can Miami keep up, without dropping back to the UCF & USF's? As a FSU fan, I say yes they can. No matter how much Miami struggles, they always have enormous speed & athleticism which allows them to compete for the ACC Championship Game. Eventually a Jameis Winston type will fall in their lap and really that's half the battle right there.

I also think the slight regress of Oregon (Not comparable to the Trojans of the mid 2000's), decline of the Big12 and continued mediocrity of the Big 10, works in Miami's favor. That talent will remain in the region
The "local guy" pitch that you mentioned is exactly what Schnellenberger used, and it worked like a charm. That's what they'll need to get back again.

I mean...they've got more top talent in that 4 or 5 county area than most whole states have.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:14 PM

8,277 posts, read 23,030,274 times
I agree about getting guys to stay home, however even when they did in the form of the #1 ranked class for 2008 they didn't amount to much losing to Wisconsin in the Champs Sports Bowl and finishing the season ranked # 19. Miami has had top 30 recruiting classes for the last several years and has had top 10 classes in the past years and those classes haven't amounted to much. So just having a top 25 class doesn't mean continued success but sooner or later one of those classes is going to hit!

Old 07-11-2014, 04:28 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,037,770 times
Miami fans are horrible and all the talented kids in the state know this. The only time this past season Miami sold out their stadium (which is another problem) is when they played Florida and it was the Florida fans who bought out the stadium. Miami is lucky to get 40,000 people to show up to a game. Why mess with that when you can go to FSU or Florida and play in front of 85,000 people?

In fact, why try for that when you can play in the SEC (only two schools have stadiums that seat fewer than 55,000) or one of the B1G teams?

One of the big problems is that the stadium is almost 25 miles from campus. Even though the school provides shuttle buses, what student wants to mess with that. How would you tailgate?

Also, August, September, and October are hot as hell here and it doesn't cool off in November.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:56 PM

20,508 posts, read 33,399,290 times
Miami made a killing on keeping players from Dade and Broward going elsewhere. They can no longer do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football