U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2014, 04:18 PM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,823,512 times
Reputation: 46078

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Big 10 has moved ahead of the SEC as the most overrated conf.
Nah. For it to be overrated, people have to think it's good in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2014, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,886 posts, read 4,199,233 times
Reputation: 4161
I think USC is getting overrated for their suspect victory over Stanford.

I also thinking the media is crowning Georgia way too early. Until I actually see a Mark Richt team not fold like wet Charmin in big moments I won't believe in them. I also don't think there is any way possible for Florida to be as horrible as they were last year.

I will also say...through 2 games FSU looks a touch overrated as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2014, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,157 posts, read 19,820,750 times
Reputation: 8811
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Big 10 has moved ahead of the SEC as the most overrated conf.
Um, who thinks the Big 10 is best in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2014, 09:52 PM
 
328 posts, read 329,933 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Big 10 has moved ahead of the SEC as the most overrated conf.

I believe the SEC won the most championships over the last 10 years if I am not mistaken. If I remember correctly they have won 8 of the last 10?

BCS all-time records by school

As a side note Ohio State and USC have won more total games in the BCS era by winning 6 games each.

The Big 10 was put on a pedestal many years ago and were never or should have never been placed up on that pedestal when only Ohio St and Michigan had good teams for years. Now you see Mich St and Wisconsin doing better each year. The Big 10 is known more for their education aspects as Ohio St, Purdue, Northwestern etc are the a few of the top educational schools in the USA.

SEC gets the better athletes as proven over the years but I see that changing.

Never been a fan of the Pac 10 myself but they have had some good teams that never jelled.


Most overrated year after year to me would be Oregon. Always placed as a top team or a team that is suppose to be so great only to get their butts handed to them by teams like Ohio St, BYU and Wake Forest when those years they were suppose to be one the supreme teams.

The other "guessing" overrated team to me so far is Florida St. They have an easy schedule this year but dont look like the best team in country at this point to me.

Growing up an Ohio St fan I always expected the Buckeyes to win 10-11 games each year and they have.

They have won the most games of the BCS era, have a national title in their hands, Heisman winners etc and losing one of the best players in college will hurt them but be on the look out for the freshman, he will be a star in the future. Urban Meyer will have them at the top of the polls every year once he has another year of full control of the recruiting and scholarships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 05:46 AM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
8,260 posts, read 9,579,907 times
Reputation: 8198
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachBound2011 View Post
I believe the SEC won the most championships over the last 10 years if I am not mistaken. If I remember correctly they have won 8 of the last 10?

BCS all-time records by school

As a side note Ohio State and USC have won more total games in the BCS era by winning 6 games each.

The Big 10 was put on a pedestal many years ago and were never or should have never been placed up on that pedestal when only Ohio St and Michigan had good teams for years. Now you see Mich St and Wisconsin doing better each year. The Big 10 is known more for their education aspects as Ohio St, Purdue, Northwestern etc are the a few of the top educational schools in the USA.

SEC gets the better athletes as proven over the years but I see that changing.

Never been a fan of the Pac 10 myself but they have had some good teams that never jelled.


Most overrated year after year to me would be Oregon. Always placed as a top team or a team that is suppose to be so great only to get their butts handed to them by teams like Ohio St, BYU and Wake Forest when those years they were suppose to be one the supreme teams.

The other "guessing" overrated team to me so far is Florida St. They have an easy schedule this year but dont look like the best team in country at this point to me.

Growing up an Ohio St fan I always expected the Buckeyes to win 10-11 games each year and they have.

They have won the most games of the BCS era, have a national title in their hands, Heisman winners etc and losing one of the best players in college will hurt them but be on the look out for the freshman, he will be a star in the future. Urban Meyer will have them at the top of the polls every year once he has another year of full control of the recruiting and scholarships.

First if all it wasn't the"SEC" that won those mythical national championships, it was only three schools LSU, Alabama, and Florida. The rest of the sec like Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi St., sucks. I love how the scrub teams in sec like to jump on the better teams band wagon. I've only witnessed that from SEC fans. Second of all, last year auburn lost to Florida st. And Alabama(the gold standard of the sec) got their asses handed to them by Oklahoma in the sugar bowl. Third when you let teams like texas a&m and Missouri, two teams who were mediocre at best in the big 12, come in and tear it up in your supposedly elite conference and have success, then yes your overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,720 posts, read 25,592,349 times
Reputation: 9216
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
First if all it wasn't the"SEC" that won those mythical national championships, it was only three schools LSU, Alabama, and Florida. The rest of the sec like Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi St., sucks. I love how the scrub teams in sec like to jump on the better teams band wagon. I've only witnessed that from SEC fans. Second of all, last year auburn lost to Florida st. And Alabama(the gold standard of the sec) got their asses handed to them by Oklahoma in the sugar bowl. Third when you let teams like texas a&m and Missouri, two teams who were mediocre at best in the big 12, come in and tear it up in your supposedly elite conference and have success, then yes your overrated.
You are forgetting that nothing stands still. Nothing that happened ten years ago is relevant today. Otherwise Michigan and Ohio State would still be wowing people. USC was once a scary good team.

Texas A&M is a vastly better team than it was when it left the Big12. They destroyed OU in the bowl the year before OU beat Alabama. Texas is much worse. Baylor is better.

Tennessee was once a power, slid to mediocrity (or worse), and shows signs of coming back.

This season is too young to really say who is overrated or underrated. We can make some guesses based on what we have seen. And our guesses are probably 50% gut instinct and 50% stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
8,260 posts, read 9,579,907 times
Reputation: 8198
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You are forgetting that nothing stands still. Nothing that happened ten years ago is relevant today. Otherwise Michigan and Ohio State would still be wowing people. USC was once a scary good team.

Texas A&M is a vastly better team than it was when it left the Big12. They destroyed OU in the bowl the year before OU beat Alabama. Texas is much worse. Baylor is better.

Tennessee was once a power, slid to mediocrity (or worse), and shows signs of coming back.

This season is too young to really say who is overrated or underrated. We can make some guesses based on what we have seen. And our guesses are probably 50% gut instinct and 50% stats.
I agree that's why I think its meaningless for SEC homers to tell me about championships they one in the past. All we have to go by is the current information, which is last year and the first two weeks of this year. Hell my team Texas one a championship in 2005 and played for another in 2009, but who cares we're talking about right now, and right now we're in rebuilding mode with a new coach. It's all reciprocal. All the traditonal powers go through periods when they're up and then they go through a period when they're down. Texas just happens to be in a down cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 11:02 PM
 
328 posts, read 329,933 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
First if all it wasn't the"SEC" that won those mythical national championships, it was only three schools LSU, Alabama, and Florida. The rest of the sec like Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi St., sucks. I love how the scrub teams in sec like to jump on the better teams band wagon. I've only witnessed that from SEC fans. Second of all, last year auburn lost to Florida st. And Alabama(the gold standard of the sec) got their asses handed to them by Oklahoma in the sugar bowl. Third when you let teams like texas a&m and Missouri, two teams who were mediocre at best in the big 12, come in and tear it up in your supposedly elite conference and have success, then yes your overrated.
Does not matter if it was one team or 10, they have the trophies.

All three of those teams had at least one team that could compare to the best teams ever, not just in the BCS era.

Ohio St was not suppose to beat what many believe was the best team in the history of college football in Miami but Ohio St smacked and whooped their butts at their own dirty playing and won a BCS title.

Question for you- So you call it a mystical winner, are you for this stupid 4 team playoff? What happens if Florida St stays unbeaten and is 1-4 and the last week of the season gets beat and now like in the past would drop out of the top 4 like many have. But you consider them better then the new team no 4?

Disaster is coming with this format.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2014, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,092 posts, read 3,022,391 times
Reputation: 869
I think the OP meant for this to be for this season. I still maintain UCLA is overrated. I am not super convinced yet if Oregon has beefed up enough on the lines to compete for a Natty. If we get past Stanford (and it isn't super close), then I think we be have the horses this year. Our OL is thin, our LBs are still a work in progress, so I have my concerns. Guess we will see.

Here are some interesting statistics that add to the conversation. It's just may rile some of you bluebloods up.

Cumulative Overrated/Underrated Teams

http://preseason.stassen.com/over-under/teams.html

Last edited by Acuda; 09-13-2014 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2014, 02:40 PM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,823,512 times
Reputation: 46078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda;36479841[B
]I think the OP meant for this to be for this season.[/b] I still maintain UCLA is overrated. I am not super convinced yet if Oregon has beefed up enough on the lines to compete for a Natty. If we get past Stanford (and it isn't super close), then I think we be have the horses this year. Our OL is thin, our LBs are still a work in progress, so I have my concerns. Guess we will see.

Here are some interesting statistics that add to the conversation. It's just may rile some of you bluebloods up.

Cumulative Overrated/Underrated Teams

Cumulative Overrated/Underrated Teams
Yes. Only a knuckle-dragging illiterate would misinterpret the point of this thread.

Agreed on UCLA. They've yet to show me anything.

Dunno about Oregon. They're an odd team. Can't get a handle on them yet.

Cool graphs by the way. They show teams that consistently get boosted in the preseason polls, then fall apart. Texas is rock bottom that way. How a team can have such a powerful brand, access to immense pools of talent, huge bags of cash, and great facilities can so consistently underperform year after year ad nauseam is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top