U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:19 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,723,251 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal. For nine long months, America's sportswriters have bought into the hype machine, swallowing whatever bilge SIDs fed them. Now, it's the first weekend of the CFB season. Which teams, based on their first game of the season, are overrated?

South Carolina, obviously.

Ohio State. Yeah, they lost Miller. But you mean they don't have either a backup QB OR a running game? Look at how they're playing against Navy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 12:36 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,575 times
Ucla

Old 08-30-2014, 02:58 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,852,844 times
Bama

Old 08-30-2014, 04:33 PM

8,260 posts, read 9,556,776 times
The SEC

Old 08-31-2014, 12:52 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
The SEC

Old 08-31-2014, 06:13 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,608,124 times
Alabama's going to have some problems in the first half of the season. Offensively, they looked okay, but their defense, particularly their pass defense, still looks really shaky. I'll give some of the credit to WVU, which should be a fairly strong team this year, but the Crimson Tide teams of 2008 - 2012 would not have had nearly the trouble that yesterday's squad did.

LSU looked pretty weak until Wisconsin's front line started getting sidelined due to injuries. Again, another team that's got loads of talent but will need some time to gel. The defense looked bad until well into the 2nd half. The offense sputtered throughout the game. Neither Bama or LSU are probably real title contenders this year, but both will be getting better as the season goes on and could be legit title contenders next season.

I think the SEC belongs to A&M and possibly Georgia this year, though it's tough to say after only one game.

Florida State looked a bit wobbly but I give credit to OSU. I think it's as much a case of the Cowboys being pretty good as it is anything else.

Was impressed with USC. Granted, the Bulldogs aren't exactly the Ducks but they're usually a good offensive squad and the Trojans dominated them.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:07 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,723,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Alabama's going to have some problems in the first half of the season. Offensively, they looked okay, but their defense, particularly their pass defense, still looks really shaky. I'll give some of the credit to WVU, which should be a fairly strong team this year, but the Crimson Tide teams of 2008 - 2012 would not have had nearly the trouble that yesterday's squad did.

LSU looked pretty weak until Wisconsin's front line started getting sidelined due to injuries. Again, another team that's got loads of talent but will need some time to gel. The defense looked bad until well into the 2nd half. The offense sputtered throughout the game. Neither Bama or LSU are probably real title contenders this year, but both will be getting better as the season goes on and could be legit title contenders next season.

I think the SEC belongs to A&M and possibly Georgia this year, though it's tough to say after only one game.

Florida State looked a bit wobbly but I give credit to OSU. I think it's as much a case of the Cowboys being pretty good as it is anything else.

Was impressed with USC. Granted, the Bulldogs aren't exactly the Ducks but they're usually a good offensive squad and the Trojans dominated them.
I think the SECW will be a total dogfight. While Bama and LSU seem to have taken a step back based on Game 1 performances, TAMU, Auburn, and Mississippi State all look very strong. Of course, it's really hard to gauge an entire season from one game. If anyone gets out of the division with no losses, I'll be amazed.

On the other hand, Georgia looks to be the class of the SECE. Before we have a coronation, however, remember that Clemson is a team that's notorious for epic collapses. Most hot-and-cold team ever.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:26 AM

4,883 posts, read 3,973,523 times
What about schools that schedule the first few games against schools that they know that they can easily beat, just to run up the score, get easy wins and make themselves look good? Sometimes called "Patsies" or "Powderpuffs" these are teams usually from a lower division, or a weaker conference who will gladly play against a big school to be guaranteed a road sellout attendance ranking and a also a big check.

TAMU used to be notorious for this, but they opened on the road against a conference rival this year. And they won. They won against Spurrier's soft zone defense that could not adjust to the TAMU offensive scheme. And there is no excuse for not moving the ball against A&Ms defense, as they looked no better than last year's. South Carolina could be looking at a losing season if they continue to play like they did.

In regards to easy schedules, it is not as bad as it used to be, but Nebraska only has 3 easy games before they travel to Miami, and Missouri only has 4 before they take on the aforementioned Gamecocks, who may be #5 on the schedule depending on Spurrier's actions.
Some of the schools like Notre Dame and Michigan State won easy openers, but things are about to get a lot tougher.
Texas beat my alma mater last night. Both teams played like Hoover vacuums, but Texas gets UCLA next, and Oklahoma (who is OK) in a few weeks.

It is too early to say who is overrated. But the early scheduling of easy teams to get to 4-0 without competition does not help pleads one case for a spot in the final 4, unless, of course, it is one of those 3 automatic bids to the SEC.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:56 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,608,124 times
Keep in mind that we're dealing with college athletes here - very young players who are trying to get into a rhythm. It's possible that a team can lay an egg in their first one or two games and get better as the season goes along. This happened with Georgia in 2012.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:11 PM

977 posts, read 1,629,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
In regards to easy schedules, it is not as bad as it used to be, but Nebraska only has 3 easy games before they travel to Miami...
Nebraska has 2 easy games (FAU, McNeese) before travelling to Fresno State, then back in Lincoln for the game against Miami. Fresno is no pushover, and I am surprised USC blew them out the way they did. Maybe Fresno doesn't have as good a team as they have in recent years, that remains to be seen, but they are usually one of the top non-power conference teams in the country. A lot of pundits are calling it a trap game, and it definitely could be.
They should be able to take care of Miami. Miami hasn't been the same since the players aren't paid as well anymore. Although, I will be at the game, which usually means a Nebraska loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or