U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 01:51 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,621,940 times

Advertisements

It's only week one, but here are my top teams so far:

1. FSU (a close shave but they're the undefeated champs and beat a quality team)
2. Texas A&M (for throttling a supposedly good Spurrier team)
3. Georgia (for throttling a decent clemson team)
4. Auburn (they're the runners-up and beat an in-conference opponent handily)
5. Stanford (they closed out strong last year)
* Michigan St & OU Sooners honorable mentions

* Teams to watch: Oregon, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, USC Trojans, Nebraska, Notre Dame

* Apparently overrated teams:
UCLA
Alabama
LSU
South Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 05:27 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,863,796 times
I'd definitely say that UCLA and South Carolina are overrated. Not sure about Bama and LSU.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:46 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,421,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'd definitely say that UCLA and South Carolina are overrated. Not sure about Bama and LSU.
Agreed... LSU beat a ranked team on a neutral site. How is that overrated?

Old 09-02-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Well, I'm not saying that they're not overrated. But they essentially let Wisconsin push them around for 45 minutes. The question is, how good is Wisconsin?

Old 09-03-2014, 08:57 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,621,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I'm an LSU grad, so if anyone's gonna support the Purple n Gold, it's me. But what I saw was a team from a weaker conference over the past 10 years push and shove the Tigers around for about 2/3 of that game until two of their defensive linemen got carted off the field. If those injuries don't occur, Wisconsin probably wins by at least a touchdown and maybe 2 TDs. None of that's to say that LSU can't improve, but they didn't look like the 'big boy football' team that they were from 2006 to 2012. This is the weakest they've looked in a long time. Alabama didn't look too good either.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:57 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,615,999 times
LSU's comeback was impressive. But because Wisconsin was one dimensional, LSU didn't exactly prove they are a complete team. It will be interesting to see how they develop.

A&M's win was very impressive, but there is doubt about South Carolina's true ability. Maybe SCe sucks. I do think A&M's offense is real.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:53 PM

Stanford falls in a mistake-plagued game.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:56 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,642,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I'm an LSU grad, so if anyone's gonna support the Purple n Gold, it's me. But what I saw was a team from a weaker conference over the past 10 years push and shove the Tigers around for about 2/3 of that game until two of their defensive linemen got carted off the field. If those injuries don't occur, Wisconsin probably wins by at least a touchdown and maybe 2 TDs. None of that's to say that LSU can't improve, but they didn't look like the 'big boy football' team that they were from 2006 to 2012. This is the weakest they've looked in a long time. Alabama didn't look too good either.
LSU has a great team this year. They just need time to iron out the kinks. Trust me Les Miles is licking his chops right now, and for good reason. They have the perfect schedule this year as well, with a few of their easier games right away. By the time they get to Auburn on October 4th it's going to be prime time.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:40 PM

6,657 posts, read 6,446,738 times
Great time to be a Oregon believer, with Oregons 46 - 27 win over a top 10 team Mich St. Verifing that Oregon can play and beat a big strong team and beat them with speed.

Hopefully this will quiet the critics. And it wasn't a barely they won win.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:12 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,024,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Great time to be a Oregon believer, with Oregons 46 - 27 win over a top 10 team Mich St. Verifing that Oregon can play and beat a big strong team and beat them with speed.

Hopefully this will quiet the critics. And it wasn't a barely they won win.
This looked like a typical Chip Kelly big win. In the first half we felt MSU out and saw some things that worked and did not. We got up 18-7 and then MSU did a great job adjusting and took the lead. At half, our coaches did a masterful job making changes. We saw a lot of younger players in the second level on defense and put an emphasis on the run game. Our DL started to step up and get pressure and our dbs played better. It started to snowball and we won going away. This was a huge game for our young coaches. The whole blueprint simplification is and always has been silly. Glad to see out OL look better in the 2nd half. Royce Freeman is going to be a stud.

Go Ducks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or