U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:11 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,866,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Do you have any data the suggests the auto companies were paying Michigan recruits or are you speculating on the commonly held belief that college athletes are paid and that in Michigan it must be the auto giants that pay them?
You can google the Chris Webber fab 5 case as easily as I can. As always, follow the moneys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Big 10 has been struggling for some time. It's sad to see the Michigan football program regress as far as it has. Other conference teams are dropping games that would have been won easily years ago. I can't put my finger on it but am wondering if weather has anything to do with recruiting players. Some of the schools have tougher academic standards (if they actually apply to athletes in practice) that could hinder decisions to come.
Another dirty truth is shared by many grads of northern schools I've met. Although they enjoyed their college experience, they would strongly consider going to a warm weather school if they did it again.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:27 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,358,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
You can google the Chris Webber fab 5 case as easily as I can. As always, follow the moneys.
The money you keep referring to was the result of a numbers racket operated by Ford Motor Company employees, not Ford Motor Company itself. Ford was not paying Michigan players.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:26 PM

8 posts, read 5,739 times
In terms of facilities, revenue, and academics, the Big Ten is certainly a power conference, perhaps in some ways The power conference. Certain programs are struggling just a bit right now with recruiting, but when it comes to conference expansion and the long-term plan, the Big Ten can do whatever it wants. It's just a matter of time. Specifically, I believe in the long term, somewhere between 10 and 20 years from now, the Big Ten will add North Carolina and Virginia. There are some other people who won't like how that works out for them, but the Big Ten gets what the Big Ten wants.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:56 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,206,690 times
A year ago, Urban Meyer called out his fellow conference coaches over the quality of their recruiting.

Urban Meyer wants the Big Ten to step up its recruiting game - CBSSports.com

It will help that the conference now has a presence in NJ and MD, states that Ohio State was mining for talent already.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:09 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,095,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmcounts View Post
the Big Ten gets what the Big Ten wants.
Truth. Just ask Notre Dame.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:07 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,717,705 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lwt...ature=youtu.be

Old 11-06-2014, 11:52 AM

894 posts, read 732,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Indiana just went on the road and beat an SEC team.
This is going to be hilarious if Mizzou plays in the SEC title game. May not happen but the SEC is over rated consistently from top to bottom and play by different rules than B10 with academics and oversigning for example. Yes, there is no argument that their top few teams have been the strongest but top to bottom they get more credit than is actually due.

Look at aTM and S Carolina. Ranked so high to begin with JUST because they are in the SEC and so everyone's ranking is artificially inflated by the media and ESPN.

I'm not saying the B10 isn't down but they have hurdles that the south doesn't, not to mention that they have to build differently to play in Oct (lots of years) and November. The next few weeks are going to set records for cold in the month of November.

When it comes to bowls, the B10 nearly always ends up playing "up" due to their financial power and influence.

Take Iowa for example, they have held their own with the SEC in bowl games but nearly always are playing a slightly higher ranked to much higher ranked team as their bowl opponent. It's a catch 22 for the B10

so they have a losing bowl record and the next year, they don't get any benefit of the doubt with rankings so they have a bigger obstacle to over come.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:44 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,607,529 times
*Some* of the BIG schools have academic hurdles, but I doubt that really applies to Ohio St, Nebraska, or Penn State. Minnesota and Ilinois? Yeah, they maintain their standards, I'd say -- at least in football.

I think the BIG will eventually climb back -- too much tradition not to. If Oregon can convince good recruits to go to the rainy, soggy environment of the northwest, then there's no reason why schools in farm country can't recruit as well. It's just going to take the right combination of on-the-field coaching and recruiting. But the BIG will always have the $$$ needed to compete.

I suspect that in another year or two Urban Meyer will have the Buckeyes where he wants them. Penn State's still dealing with the effects of sanctions, so they'll climb back -- they've got a great coach and would be foolish to ditch him while he's still clearly rebuilding. Jury's out on whether Pelini can turn the Huskers into a title contender but he's got that team competitive.

Tell you what. I'm an SEC'er, so I tend to be biased, but I'm a huge fan of MSU's program right now. They play football the way it's meant to be played. Would not mind it a bit if the Spartans won the title.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:52 PM

I think the lineman in BIG are the only ones that can compete with SEC week in and out. Nebraska saw that when they joined.

Speedwise, we still need some work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football