U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2014, 01:57 PM
 
Location: So California
8,548 posts, read 8,879,514 times
Reputation: 4640

Advertisements

This is not so much a reactionary thread to yesterday's win over Texas, but an analysis of why they haven't been invited to a major conference.

My assertion is that they have a better program then at least 60%of the "Power 5" schools.
They have a large enrollment over 30,000.
Football stadium consistently sells out over 65,000.
Competitive in all sports.
Great facilities and fan base.
Fans throughout the country.
They have a deal with ESPN.
They have their own TV network.
Good history that includes a National Championship.

The league in question right now is the Big 12, let's look at their record against the Big 12 opponents all time + Texas A & M.

Texas A&M 2-1
Texas 4-1
Kansas State 8-4
Kansas 0-1
Texas Tech 0-1
TCU 5-6
Oklahoma 2-0
Oklahoma St 0-2
Iowa St 2-2
West Virginia 0-0

23-16 overall. Not great but not bad, again check every power 5 team vs their conference.
This season I would say they are behind Oklahoma, but they have a good shot against everyone else.
In addition their recruiting gets better with the invite. Look what happened to A&M, they were middling in the Big 12 for years prior to joining the SEC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2014, 04:47 PM
 
Location: So California
8,548 posts, read 8,879,514 times
Reputation: 4640
#25 AP rank
#27 USA Today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 06:37 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,609,110 times
Reputation: 3225
I think BYU's good but before we get off the rails, let's not forget that OU has throttled Texas by four or more touchdowns, even when they weren't winning BCS bowls. Texas now is not what they were in 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,380 posts, read 8,373,886 times
Reputation: 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I think BYU's good but before we get off the rails, let's not forget that OU has throttled Texas by four or more touchdowns, even when they weren't winning BCS bowls. Texas now is not what they were in 2009.
That's very true, but slo failed to mention that one stumbling block (or so I've read) is that BYU won't participate in sports events scheduled on Sundays. Please correct me if that is not accurate.

Last year's 36-20 beatdown of the Sooners, while gratifying, was a fluke - that 2013 UT team was pretty weak. JMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 09:52 PM
 
Location: So California
8,548 posts, read 8,879,514 times
Reputation: 4640
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I think BYU's good but before we get off the rails, let's not forget that OU has throttled Texas by four or more touchdowns, even when they weren't winning BCS bowls. Texas now is not what they were in 2009.
Texas OU is a rivalry game. Texas won by 16 over OU last season. Same OU team that throttled Alabama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 09:54 PM
 
Location: So California
8,548 posts, read 8,879,514 times
Reputation: 4640
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
That's very true, but slo failed to mention that one stumbling block (or so I've read) is that BYU won't participate in sports events scheduled on Sundays. Please correct me if that is not accurate.

Last year's 36-20 beatdown of the Sooners, while gratifying, was a fluke - that 2013 UT team was pretty weak. JMHO.
That is true. Really hasn't been an issue in other leagues, pretty easy scheduling around Sundays. I really don't see that as an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2014, 12:44 AM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,156,798 times
Reputation: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
That is true. Really hasn't been an issue in other leagues, pretty easy scheduling around Sundays. I really don't see that as an issue.
It is an issue when other conferences consider travel and Sunday games and BYU says no. Trust me, Boise State and others will say yes. If the Admin and AD have told Coach Mendenhall to sign the deal but not play on Sunday, the problem is Bronco.

I liked Coach LaVell Edwards - - who didn't? But I do not like Bronco Mendenhall. He takes the victim role so much I've seen him unable to answer the easy questions on the weekend sports shows.

But BYU seems to be coming out of their multi-year fog. They should move up in the polls. It's good to have Intermountain West teams winning.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2014, 11:39 AM
 
Location: The Dirty South.
1,573 posts, read 1,429,685 times
Reputation: 1097
I'm not impressed. They beat a Texas team without their starting qb not to mention the o line and most of the starters where out due to suspensions. But its Texas so they will pat themselves on the back and have a party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2014, 08:46 PM
 
Location: So California
8,548 posts, read 8,879,514 times
Reputation: 4640
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
I'm not impressed. They beat a Texas team without their starting qb not to mention the o line and most of the starters where out due to suspensions. But its Texas so they will pat themselves on the back and have a party.
It doesn't matter if you are impressed. And that wasn't even the point of the thread. Regarding your point about Texas, I don't buy that in the least. Texas had this game circled for a year, and they didn't just lose, they got dismantled at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2014, 08:49 PM
 
Location: So California
8,548 posts, read 8,879,514 times
Reputation: 4640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
It is an issue when other conferences consider travel and Sunday games and BYU says no. Trust me, Boise State and others will say yes. If the Admin and AD have told Coach Mendenhall to sign the deal but not play on Sunday, the problem is Bronco.

I liked Coach LaVell Edwards - - who didn't? But I do not like Bronco Mendenhall. He takes the victim role so much I've seen him unable to answer the easy questions on the weekend sports shows.

But BYU seems to be coming out of their multi-year fog. They should move up in the polls. It's good to have Intermountain West teams winning.

MSR
I don't get to see Broncos interviews but it takes a particular person to run that program and he seems to be doing all the right things, I think he's had to take a little victim role just because of the changes in the college football landscape, hence this thread. Who plays on Sunday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top