U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 03:48 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,637,885 times

Advertisements

So yesterday I was reminded of Marcus Mariota, the starting quarterback for the Ducks. Back when he was a... "Redshirt Freshman"... at Oregon, before the season began I witnessed him play against the starting quarterback (I think he was a junior, but maybe sophomore) and beat him by about thirty points. Were talking about a Redshirt Freshman here ok. Please lay the pride aside. The guy earned the position and the decision was a no brainer for Chip Kelly. Anyway, I bring this up because its way too ironic that just minutes ago I decided to scope out the 2014 LSU spring game and this is what I found. Please excuse me, I must recant on my opinion of Les Miles as well as the absurdity of assuming it could be the Athletic Directors fault.

LSU Spring Game 2014: Recap, Highlights and Analysis | Bleacher Report

What if Chip Kelly said, "oh but Marcus has no experience and is only a Freshman". Again, the best thing about Harris besides his quarterback skills is that he made it clear that he thrives under pressure. Jennings does not, and proved the exact opposite. 102,000 people, and Harris brought us back in the second half and almost won the game for us.

DOES IT GET ANY FREAKIN BETTER?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 03:57 PM

So in other words, no matter what, I hope and pray that Les Miles hits the road.

Lets talk prospective coaches please...lol.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:49 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,018,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
So yesterday I was reminded of Marcus Mariota, the starting quarterback for the Ducks. Back when he was a... "Redshirt Freshman"... at Oregon, before the season began I witnessed him play against the starting quarterback (I think he was a junior, but maybe sophomore) and beat him by about thirty points. Were talking about a Redshirt Freshman here ok. Please lay the pride aside. The guy earned the position and the decision was a no brainer for Chip Kelly. Anyway, I bring this up because its way too ironic that just minutes ago I decided to scope out the 2014 LSU spring game and this is what I found. Please excuse me, I must recant on my opinion of Les Miles as well as the absurdity of assuming it could be the Athletic Directors fault.

LSU Spring Game 2014: Recap, Highlights and Analysis | Bleacher Report

What if Chip Kelly said, "oh but Marcus has no experience and is only a Freshman". Again, the best thing about Harris besides his quarterback skills is that he made it clear that he thrives under pressure. Jennings does not, and proved the exact opposite. 102,000 people, and Harris brought us back in the second half and almost won the game for us.

DOES IT GET ANY FREAKIN BETTER?
And before Mariota was Darron Thomas who did the exact same thing against Boise State. He brought us back as a freshman and almost won the game. The next year he ended up leading us to the Natty and was overall 33-4 as a starter. Kid was just a winner. There are just gamers and maybe this Harris is a gamer.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
And before Mariota was Darron Thomas who did the exact same thing against Boise State. He brought us back as a freshman and almost won the game. The next year he ended up leading us to the Natty and was overall 33-4 as a starter. Kid was just a winner. There are just gamers and maybe this Harris is a gamer.
Great to see you again my friend. Thanks for the comment I didn't even realize that wow. Exactly. And yes, of course those kind of players are rare but when you find that you have one you gotta jump on the chance instead of crush them by not recognizing the talent and slapping them in the face. Yes indeed, Harris is one of those guys. It has nothing to do with all the butterfly fumbles and bad play from Jennings. When Harris got that ball it was on big time! It was like he said... "ha, now I've got my chance to make sure people see this." As far as Jennings goes, I remember telling those watching the game with me, "If I was Jennings I would just tell the coaches to take me out of the game." That's the first time Ive seen something so sad in an LSU football game. The whole team played poorly with little energy, but this Jennings guy was a HUGE flop. I will never understand it. LSU insisted on playing him until it was too late. Rrrrr

See ya around man.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:59 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,885,461 times
Shut out at Arkansas...ouch. Going to be some angry drunks on the bayou tonight.

Local bar staff hate when LSU loses as the fans get really belligerent and don't tip.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:48 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,128,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Shut out at Arkansas...ouch. Going to be some angry drunks on the bayou tonight.

Local bar staff hate when LSU loses as the fans get really belligerent and don't tip.
Incredible shutout win for the Razorbacks, but there will definitely be some grumpy Bayou Bengals in Louisiana today!

Old 11-17-2014, 04:55 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,610,614 times
LSU has wicked talent and a very good defensive coaching staff, but offensive game planning and playcalling has been the thing standing between LSU and one and possibly more national championship game appearances since 2007. Les Miles needs to accept that his approach to offense isn't going to take a team all the way. You can beat 7 or 8 teams on an 10/11 game schedule per year by simply overpowering them, but three of those teams are going to stuff the run and make you earn points. Why he hasn't figured that out yet, why he hasn't found a real offensive coordinator who knows the college game and just turned the reins over, I don't know.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:45 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
I have to agree. The only really talented QB I have seen in last years was Mittenburger. That shows in his limited play in NFL ;IMO. But the offensive line was at a loss as to protecting him when he played. I mean the OB passing game is hit and miss even with some great receivers they have had otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or