U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:37 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,738,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Because of the exaggerated perception of SEC defenses.

A&M is torching everybody in the SEC with tempo, spread, and speed. (Even Saban is running a little tempo now after trying to get a rule passed to limit it! It's the classic if you can't beat 'em join 'em. Ha.) Missouri has been successful too.

The perception that the almighty SEC has the corner market on D is quickly fading because of tougher offensive schemes and better QB play.
So do you sit around and contemplate the current greatness of Army or Michigan? Maybe throw the Golden Gophers and Yale into the mix? While you're at it, why not diagram some new twists on the wishbone offense? Because you have this weird obsession with the way things were as opposed to the way things are today. Quit reading news clippings from a decade ago and concentrate on what's relevant now.

Hey, a few years ago, SEC defenses did rock. But, as opposed to the paleoconference otherwise known as the Big10, SEC teams have continued to innovate and adapt. In terms of arms races, the SEC West is right up there with the US and USSR during the Cold War in terms of trying to acquire new weapons and tactics. I get it. I realize you desperately need to find some reason to trash the conference, but dissing the SEC on its ability to change with the times is kind of weird and lame. Okay, not even kind of lame. Seriously lame.

Trust me. The pendulum will sweep back the other way. But until then, we'll be racking up points.

Last edited by cpg35223; 09-29-2014 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 08:34 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,541,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
So do you sit around and contemplate the greatness of Army or Notre Dame? Maybe throw the Golden Gophers and Yale into the mix? While you're at it, why not diagram some new twists on the wishbone offense? Because you have this weird obsession with the way things were as opposed to the way things are today. Quit reading news clippings from a decade ago and concentrate on what's relevant today.

Hey, a few years ago, SEC defenses did rock. But, as opposed to the paleoconference otherwise known as the Big10, SEC teams have continued to innovate and adapt. In terms of arms races, the SEC West is right up there with the US and USSR during the Cold War in terms of trying to acquire new weapons and tactics. I get it. I realize you desperately need to find some reason to trash the conference, but dissing the SEC on its ability to change with the times is kind of weird and lame. Okay, not even kind of lame. Seriously lame.

Trust me. The pendulum will sweep back the other way. But until then, we'll be racking up points.
I've said it before but I don't care what any team did more than ten years ago. Only a few teams have the same coach they had then. The conferences are different, budgets exploded, university presidents changed, etc. Nothing stays the same.

I like the "paleoconference" comment....maybe the Big10 will wake up soon and realize their brand of football is pushing their conference into irrelevant status. Maybe that's why Bielema packed his bags and left hip cool Madison for Fayetteville.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I've said it before but I don't care what any team did more than ten years ago. Only a few teams have the same coach they had then. The conferences are different, budgets exploded, university presidents changed, etc. Nothing stays the same.

I like the "paleoconference" comment....maybe the Big10 will wake up soon and realize their brand of football is pushing their conference into irrelevant status. Maybe that's why Bielema packed his bags and left hip cool Madison for Fayetteville.
Except the Delaware Wing T. That seems to be going strong.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:05 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,710,236 times
Quote:
So do you sit around and contemplate the current greatness of Army or Michigan? Maybe throw the Golden Gophers and Yale into the mix? While you're at it, why not diagram some new twists on the wishbone offense? Because you have this weird obsession with the way things were as opposed to the way things are today. Quit reading news clippings from a decade ago and concentrate on what's relevant now.

You've got some issues, son. I think you read into my post(s) and fabricated something that wasn't there?

The article I posted was written a few days ago by an SEC insider. Maybe you didn't actually read the article? Plus, the arms race comments are just kinda out there. You have a fascinating mind comparing college football to the Cold War.

I wasn't "dissing" anyone other than saying "bravo" to the writer for noting that SEC defenses are not as vaunted as perceived the last several years, and perceptibly the next several years, because there has been change. Again, more complex offensive schemes and tempo have contributed to this evolution as much as anything. Bravo to the writer and here's a "good for you" for polishing those reading skills. Don't take college football so seriously, Fellar!

Cheers Pardner!

Old 09-29-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:

You've got some issues, son. I think you read into my post(s) and fabricated something that wasn't there?

The article I posted was written a few days ago by an SEC insider. Maybe you didn't actually read the article? Plus, the arms race comments are just kinda out there. You have a fascinating mind comparing college football to the Cold War.

I wasn't "dissing" anyone other than saying "bravo" to the writer for noting that SEC defenses are not as vaunted as perceived the last several years, and perceptibly the next several years, because there has been change. Again, more complex offensive schemes and tempo have contributed to this evolution as much as anything. Bravo to the writer and here's a "good for you" for polishing those reading skills. Don't take college football so seriously, Fellar!

Cheers Pardner!
I'm thinking the only issues here are in your reading comprehension, which has been evidently dulled by unearned smugness. For some odd reason, you read the same article and came away that the SEC had to be dragged kicking and screaming into more high-octane offenses. In truth, it's been a fairly steady evolution over the past 15 years. Your desperation is reading things into that article that simply do not exist.

I mean, Sallee just pointed out what everyone has known for quite some time. I mean, you'd have to go back to the early 00s to find a time when the Defense First mentality was actually deeply rooted.

Here's the deal. When Big12 consistently beats SEC teams, rather than occasionally knock off someone in an upset, then you'll be able to adopt a superior tone. Oklahoma beating Alabama last year simply does not compensate for the top-to-bottom mediocrity of the conference.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking the only issues here are in your reading comprehension, which has been evidently dulled by unearned smugness. For some odd reason, you read the same article and came away that the SEC had to be dragged kicking and screaming into more high-octane offenses. In truth, it's been a fairly steady evolution over the past 15 years. Your desperation is reading things into that article that simply do not exist.

I mean, Sallee just pointed out what everyone has known for quite some time. I mean, you'd have to go back to the early 00s to find a time when the Defense First mentality was actually deeply rooted.

Here's the deal. When Big12 consistently beats SEC teams, rather than occasionally knock off someone in an upset, then you'll be able to adopt a superior tone. Oklahoma beating Alabama last year simply does not compensate for the top-to-bottom mediocrity of the conference.
You assume a lot and you know what they say about assumptions.

Again, a tip of that hat to the writer of the article. That's it. If you don't agree or like my commentary then hit the ignore button.

You seem a bit angry and flustered. How 'bout kickin' back with a few tall ones to take that edge off?

Good luck.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
You assume a lot and you know what they say about assumptions.

Again, a tip of that hat to the writer of the article. That's it. If you don't agree or like my commentary then hit the ignore button.

You seem a bit angry and flustered. How 'bout kickin' back with a few tall ones to take that edge off?

Good luck.
You assume a lot. I'm just surprised that you believe your impotent arguments is all. Nothing flustered about me since your arguments are rather easy to destroy.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
You assume a lot. I'm just surprised that you believe your impotent arguments is all. Nothing flustered about me since your arguments are rather easy to destroy.
Another Internet geek wins! Well done, son.

Here's to better days for you.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:26 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,541,443 times
After 5 weekends, the total defense rankings include:

SEC

#4 Ole Miss
#5 Alabama
#12 LSU
#20 Auburn
#25 Kentucky
#36 Georgia

B12

#2 TCU
#6 Baylor
#18 KSU
#24 Texas
#40 OU

Total Offense:

SEC
#3 A&M
#6 Alabama
#12 Miss St.
#23 Ole Miss
#32 Arkansas
#34 Auburn

B12
#1 Baylor
#11 WVU
#15 TCU
#21 Tech
#25 OU

Old 09-30-2014, 07:30 AM

Pretty comprable, no?

The only one on the Big XII side which is askew is the Baylor inclusion. Baylor has played one of the worst non-conference schedules in all of the Power 5. Their numbers would be different had they played anyone who was ranked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or