U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 07:57 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,525,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Pretty comprable, no?

The only one on the Big XII side which is askew is the Baylor inclusion. Baylor has played one of the worst non-conference schedules in all of the Power 5. Their numbers would be different had they played anyone who was ranked.
It isn't too different right now. I think it might be skewed a bit because of Baylor's schedule so far and TCU - who has played just three games against nobodies.

TCU has a rough stretch coming. And all games over the next few weeks should be tougher all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 09:30 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
My only quarrel with that article is the "three yards and a cloud of dust" comment - that belonged to the Big 10. The SEC, even when it was run heavy, was much faster than the Big 10 - who was comparatively slow. The SEC had powerful backs, but they always had athletes with spectacular speed.

Funny thing about the Big12 is that Texas never moved up tempo. Zone read team of Vince Young and the sideways game of Colt McCoy. They slowed down under Strong. I don't see them changing drastically even with a better QB.

Kansas State will probably never change from its run option style. TCU will be defense first, even though they show signs of a more wide open offense.
I agree defense not only wins championships but now days actually scores quite a few point if you look closely. But I agree the one yard and a bowl of dust was more the big ten. but even then its easy to defend just a pass offense as seen time and again. The run as always opens the pass.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:45 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,256,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
Growing up a Big Ten and a Ohio St fan now living in the south I can tell you for the last 10-15 years the SEC by far has been the best conference overall with no comparisons anywhere.

Looking back at the teams such as LSU, Florida, Alabama, Auburn and players from places like Arkansas, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia have added quality players to the NFL no league had a much talent, speed, power, fans etc as the SEC. And this is coming from someone who feels had John Cooper and Jim Tressel had not been so darn conservative and played like the SEC teams Ohio St could have easily had 3-4 more rings. They had the players, speed etc but these two wanted 3-4 yards while the more exciting SEC teams put players on the field to play, not just hand the ball of and hope they get a first down.

The SEC has the most players in the NFL currently and have 7 teams with the most players playing in the NFL right now with LSU leading the pack of SEC teams with 56 players. Only USC has more players then LSU. Ohio St has 53 and the Big 10 has many of the top teams with NFL players currently playing.

B10 haters and SEC haters cannot ignore the fact of the BCS championship, Heismans, NFL players these two conferences have. Pac 10 and all others are left in the dust with facts.

LSU 57
Alabama 54
Georgia 48
Florida 47
Tennessee 40
South Carolina 39
Texas A& M 36
Arkansas 30

Go to an SEC game, you will be amazed at the football atmosphere. Growing up going to Ohio St I did not think anything could touch those games but getting to go to games to see LSU-Florida-South Carolina-Georgia it is the best football atmosphere you will ever witness.
I want to, I live about an hour from the swamp but darn $65 bucks per for upper deck. I'd have to get 4 of them...too pricey. What about possible cheaper alternatives like scalpers, Craigslist? Is there another way?

Old 09-30-2014, 12:03 PM

18,453 posts, read 9,554,421 times
The SEC is learning from pioneers like Malzahn and now the TAMU coach. The SEC has the best athletes and defenses but hasn't had the best offenses. If they get this offense thing down, no other team will have a chance. Probably 3 of the 4 teams in the Playoffs should be SEC teams...that's how much better the SEC is.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:32 PM

328 posts, read 328,423 times
Quote:
Former Ohio St. standout Eddie George is on record saying that the Red River Shootout had a more electric and "bigger" feel and atmosphere than Ohio St.-Michigan. I would think he would know.
Please re read what I wrote, I said I did not think anything could touch the Ohio St Mich game until I was able to see the list of games in person.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
I want to, I live about an hour from the swamp but darn $65 bucks per for upper deck. I'd have to get 4 of them...too pricey. What about possible cheaper alternatives like scalpers, Craigslist? Is there another way?
Couple tickets I got off friends/family and I believe the LSU-Kentucky game I was able to get off ebay if I remember. Good also to have family who has kids attended a university you want to see play.

I would pay 65.00 if they were playing someone really good but that upper deck can be heck on someone who does not like heights well. Seems like it was built straight up and steps can be a real pain in that stadium.

Take some ear plugs, it gets extremely loud in that stadium.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:49 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,704,410 times
Quote:
Please re read what I wrote, I said I did not think anything could touch the Ohio St Mich game until I was able to see the list of games in person.
So I'm guessin' you need to attend the Red River Shootout now to test your assertion.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
So I'm guessin' you need to attend the Red River Shootout now to test your assertion.
Guessing you have never been to an really good Ohio St - Michigan game have you?

So when a Columbus, Ohio TV sport caster asked Colt McCoy after he witnessed an Ohio St Michigan game how does this compare to Texas-Oklahoma games? McCoy stated, our games were great games but these 110,000 fans would be hard to top.

I just realized you are the OP of this thread so you will have bias opinions. Mine are not. Growing up in Ohio and an Ohio St fan all my 50+ years of watching and following college football I can tell you first hand over the last 10 years getting to see tons of bowl games, lots of SEC games and of course saw close to 20 Ohio St Michigan games no way in the world could an Oklahoma- Texas game come close to matching an electric Ohio-St Michigan game nor come even close to seeing LSU v Alabama, SCarolina v Georgia, Florida v Fla St games which I have seen live in person.

Actually have flew from Ohio to see Oklahoma v Nebraska back in the 1980s and it was not worth the cost of the plane ticket.

Have seen games in the Rose Bowl, Citrus, Orange, Cotton, Fiesta for many years and watched some or parts of Texas v Okla as usually those same Saturdays have rivalry games on so I know what I am seeing.

Some cool facts-
Neighbor in Ohio for more then 15 years grew up along that river as a Longhorn fan. He would fly his Longhorn flag above his wifes Ohio St flag on there pole and of course I had to tease his about it.

We spent many years at either house watching many college games, bowl games etc and the discussion of who was best, Ohio St or Texas always came up.

I told him about seeing the Oklahoma-Nebraska game and was bored stiff to see it in person, fans just sit on their hands most all of the game.

He then mention the Red River game. I said no way can it compare to seeing an Ohio St Michigan game and he clearly said it is a different type of atmosphere. Since he attended several Ohio St Mich games as well he said Ohio St Mich is the best rivalry in the country and we all knew that growing up in Texas. The Red River game was mainly popular for those who grew up, live or attended Texas or OU and did not get popular out of those areas while growing up he said he remembers Ohio St Michigan games being the game to watch on rivalry Saturdays. So from a real neighbor who has seen them both by his comments Red River game is like a HS match, local. Ohio St Mich games are popular all over the country.

As a college football fan since I could walk, I remember very few Oklahoma or Texas players. Earl Campbell comes to mind and the Selmon brothers, Billy Sims and Boz but other then that no player really stands out to me from those two schools.

Avg Red River game attendence 85-90k
Avg Ohio St Mich game attendence 100-110k with I think a record of 112k a few years back.

The best college regular season game ever played was Ohio St Michigan in 2006 in my opinion.

Just some facts.

Current NFL players
Ohio St has 53, Oklahoma 42
( 4 of the top 10 schools with NFL come from the SEC by the way )

Ohio St has 7 Heisman winners, Oklahoma 5

Only player to win two Heisman Archie Griffin.

And so on.

So my unbiased opinion about your thread is watching college football every weekend since I was a kid, seeing way into the 100s of games in person, 5 national championship games, tons of bowl games, games from the B10, SEC, ACC, B10, PAC12, Big East, MAC I can easily state as a lifelong Ohio St fan who lives in the south now and traveled to many areas of the country to see games, no game, even the Ohio St Mich games I attended are more electrifying, exciting, fan based with great games then many SEC games. It is amazing to see LSU Alabama, Fla v Fla St, SC v Georgia and even Clemson games are simply fun to attend.

Big 10 Ohio St fan who sees college football through all eyes and I can tell you from my personal experience of many years no way can any conference compare to attending a very good SEC game on a Saturday evening.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:16 PM

977 posts, read 1,629,232 times
Quote:
I just realized you are the OP of this thread so you will have bias opinions. Mine are not. Growing up in Ohio and an Ohio St fan all my 50+ years...
You contradicted yourself in consecutive sentences. When you have a vested interest in one specific team, you automatically have a bias. You can attend all the games you want, but it will never eliminate your preference. Anyone who has a rooting interest in one of the other matchups you mentioned will also likely find Ohio St-Michigan to be less interesting/exciting than their own team's rivalry.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
You contradicted yourself in consecutive sentences. When you have a vested interest in one specific team, you automatically have a bias. You can attend all the games you want, but it will never eliminate your preference. Anyone who has a rooting interest in one of the other matchups you mentioned will also likely find Ohio St-Michigan to be less interesting/exciting than their own team's rivalry.
Not correct. I have said I have attended many games, probably more college games then al most anyone in my 50+ years and for sure tons of bowl games and have watched teams from all areas and in locations all across the country.

Something you failed to mention is the OP of the thread is an Oklahoma Sooner fan and also stated the Red River game is better then the OSU-Mich game and my facts proved that to be not correct in many ways. But you failed to call him out on that when he never has seen an Ohio St game and I have seen Oklahoma games. In fact seen Ohio St and Oklahoma play so I can have a much better opinion then the OP because I have been there and seen it I believe it was in 1983.

I also have been to Oklahoma to see Okla v Nebraska.

In my opinion based on seeing games all over the country from all different leagues and seeing games like LSU-Bama etc as listed, no way does any of Oklahoma vs Texas compare to Ohio St - Mich which is known as the best rivalry is all of college football by many.

Had you read I am now living in the south and made a fantastic point that I believe the SEC is far better conference then any other which is the topic here, not Ohio St v Mich etc.

I based my opinion on not just any interest but many facts as stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or