U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 07:40 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,705,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
Not correct. I have said I have attended many games, probably more college games then al most anyone in my 50+ years and for sure tons of bowl games and have watched teams from all areas and in locations all across the country.

Something you failed to mention is the OP of the thread is an Oklahoma Sooner fan and also stated the Red River game is better then the OSU-Mich game and my facts proved that to be not correct in many ways. But you failed to call him out on that when he never has seen an Ohio St game and I have seen Oklahoma games. In fact seen Ohio St and Oklahoma play so I can have a much better opinion then the OP because I have been there and seen it I believe it was in 1983.

I also have been to Oklahoma to see Okla v Nebraska.

In my opinion based on seeing games all over the country from all different leagues and seeing games like LSU-Bama etc as listed, no way does any of Oklahoma vs Texas compare to Ohio St - Mich which is known as the best rivalry is all of college football by many.

Had you read I am now living in the south and made a fantastic point that I believe the SEC is far better conference then any other which is the topic here, not Ohio St v Mich etc.

I based my opinion on not just any interest but many facts as stated.
Ease up, Pardner.

I just highlighted the fact that Ohio St. great Eddie George implied that the atmosphere at OU-Tejas was/is more electric, etc.

Otherwise, I don't care. Just ribbin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 10:17 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,134,637 times
Ohio State and Michigan is highly overrated. Yes, it's been known as the premier college football rivalry for years. But that's due to the fact that limited media for most of the history of college football focused on Northern teams.

But between the fair, the stadium being split right down the middle, and being loud no matter what happens every day, you can't beat that.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:58 PM

328 posts, read 328,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Ease up, Pardner.

I just highlighted the fact that Ohio St. great Eddie George implied that the atmosphere at OU-Tejas was/is more electric, etc.

Otherwise, I don't care. Just ribbin'.
And I also noted that Texas Longhorn Colt McCoy said after he attended a Ohio St Michigan game that is was better then the RR game.

I actually was thinking the same thing, why defend myself with your thread even though I have posted fact after fact showing and proving both thoughts, the SEC is by far the best conference and Ohio St Michigan is known all over the country as the best rivalry game of them all.

Wonder if Eddie ever attended an LSU-Bama game, not one game I have ever been to in my life and I have attended far more college games then Eddie George has for sure did I feel the ground shake when the fans were rowdy. I have probably attended way into the 100s of college games and probably close to 1000 since the late 60's early 70's as a kid seeing the Buckeye play and every major bowl game, dozen or so national championship games and just letting you know my thoughts, fact and a true all around fan assessment.

LOL A Okie fan calling Eddie George great is really funny. I will go with Colt McCoys comments since he actually played in the RR game and Eddie never did.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Ohio State and Michigan is highly overrated. Yes, it's been known as the premier college football rivalry for years. But that's due to the fact that limited media for most of the history of college football focused on Northern teams.

But between the fair, the stadium being split right down the middle, and being loud no matter what happens every day, you can't beat that.

Getting 110-115k fans into the stadium I would say is nothing over rated.

Just a fact.

2014 Home Attendance (Avg) No. Attendance School Stadium 1 106,761 OHIO STATE OHIO STADIUM 2 104,298 TEXAS A&M KYLE FIELD 3 104,113 MICHIGAN MICHIGAN STADIUM 4 101,460 LSU TIGER STADIUM 5 101,316 ALABAMA BRYANT-DENNY STADIUM
Ohio State on Pace to Snatch Football Attendance Title from Michigan | Eleven Warriors

Notice B10 and SEC schools all in the records this year?

Old 10-02-2014, 11:33 PM

On September 6, 2014, after 2,500 seats were added in a stadium expansion, a record crowd of 107,517 attended the Virginia Tech game which the #8 ranked Buckeyes lost 35 to 21. [12]The previous largest crowd at Ohio Stadium was 106,102 for the Buckeyes' 6338 win over the Nebraska Cornhuskers on October 6, 2012.[13] The next previous record of 106,033 was set in 2009, in an 1815 loss to the USC Trojans.[14] In 2002, Mel Kiper, Jr. ranked Ohio Stadium second in atmosphere, behind the Army-Navy Game, and quoted Beano Cook in saying "There is nothing that beats when the Ohio State Marching Band and the sousaphone player dots the 'i' for Script Ohio." [15]
The crowd attending these home games is known for creating harsh and difficult environments for opponents. University of Iowa coach Hayden Fry complained after a 1985 loss that the fans were too loud for his quarterback, Chuck Long, to call plays and suggested sound meters be used to gauge the noise level, penalizing home teams if there was too much noise. He said, "It's a realistic fact that happened. He became mentally disturbed for the first time since he's been a starter for us because of his inability to communicate."[16]

Ohio Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-03-2014, 07:16 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,528,496 times
Number of fans in the stands isn't what defines the atmosphere. No offense to my Texas fans but 104,000 in DKR is more often than not a sleepy atmosphere.

I am willing to bet that OSU/Michigan in recent years lacks electricity. Michigan's student attendance is way down as already acknowledged. The general malaise in the B1G may have started at Michigan.

Wisconsin has an outstanding game experience. Very active (and intoxicated) student body, yelling true obscenities, unsuitable for a family experience....

Old 10-03-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
And I also noted that Texas Longhorn Colt McCoy said after he attended a Ohio St Michigan game that is was better then the RR game.

I actually was thinking the same thing, why defend myself with your thread even though I have posted fact after fact showing and proving both thoughts, the SEC is by far the best conference and Ohio St Michigan is known all over the country as the best rivalry game of them all.

Wonder if Eddie ever attended an LSU-Bama game, not one game I have ever been to in my life and I have attended far more college games then Eddie George has for sure did I feel the ground shake when the fans were rowdy. I have probably attended way into the 100s of college games and probably close to 1000 since the late 60's early 70's as a kid seeing the Buckeye play and every major bowl game, dozen or so national championship games and just letting you know my thoughts, fact and a true all around fan assessment.

LOL A Okie fan calling Eddie George great is really funny. I will go with Colt McCoys comments since he actually played in the RR game and Eddie never did.

You wanna a cookie? Congrats.

I'm sure that all the games mentioned are great atmospheres. If it makes you feel better to say that SEC games and the Ohio St./Michigan are superior then so be it.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Number of fans in the stands isn't what defines the atmosphere. No offense to my Texas fans but 104,000 in DKR is more often than not a sleepy atmosphere.

I am willing to bet that OSU/Michigan in recent years lacks electricity. Michigan's student attendance is way down as already acknowledged. The general malaise in the B1G may have started at Michigan.

Wisconsin has an outstanding game experience. Very active (and intoxicated) student body, yelling true obscenities, unsuitable for a family experience....
To the bold, 110% correct.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:49 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,134,637 times
Quote:

So Colt's RRS experience matters but Eddie's tOSU-MICH experience doesn't? Great logic!

Face it, nobody outside of the Midwest cares about seeing tOSU beat up on Mich every year.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
So Colt's RRS experience matters but Eddie's tOSU-MICH experience doesn't? Great logic!

Face it, nobody outside of the Midwest cares about seeing tOSU beat up on Mich every year.
Truth.

Really good rationale, especially for a Longhorn Fan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or