U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2014, 10:09 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,607,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
If Missouri wins the SEC title game and Ohio State wins the Big Ten, Florida State wins the ACC, Oregon wins the Pac-12 and Baylor wins the Big-12, then the SEC will not have a team in the playoffs. Missouri lost at home, to an Indiana team that finished 4-8. Plus Missouri also has 2 loses. No way they should get in over an Ohio State team that would be 12-1, as they only have 1 loss and that one loss is not as bad as the home loss to Indiana by Missouri.

Speaking of conference title games, I was looking at tickets to the Pac-12 title game (just for fun) in Santa Clara and could not believe they were asking almost $60 and $90 for upper tier seats and that didn't include the fees always tacked on at the end.
I tend to agree with the above, but I'm sure some on the committee will be tempted to give Mizzou a long, hard look, merely based on their SEC affiliation and, assuming the upset happens, a victory over a very strong opponent. Problem for Mizzou is that it would really be their only true victory against a solid team all year. But again, I don't think it's going to happen. I think they can make it close, but I don't see them getting it done against Bama.

Oregon against Arizona will be *the* game of the weekend. For whatever reason, Zona just seems to have Oregon's number. They seem to understand that offense and they've got the speed and athleticism to contain Mariota. That being said, I think the Ducks will get it done this time. Might be difficult. Might cause some Ducks fans to sweat. But they'll solve the Rich Rodriguez riddle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 03:40 PM

328 posts, read 328,423 times
Lets all hope that GT beats Florida St so the weakest of all these teams we all like goes away finally.

Like you all, I can see this weekend making some big changes.

Still think they should have went with 6 or 8 teams.

How can someone from a power 5 conference that won 12 games and won their conference not get a shot?

With only 4 teams we all know someone is going to get screwed badly.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:20 PM

257 posts, read 531,498 times
Gary Fatterson and the TCU Horned Frogs are now ranked ahead of a no loss FSU team. Makes perfect sense!!!

Old 12-02-2014, 05:42 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,852,010 times
4 loss Auburn ahead of 3 loss OU. Seems legit. This "poll" is a freaking joke.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:16 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,256,046 times
Jimbo Fisher appears to be correct in his assessment earlier this week that the committee is bringing figure skating judging to college football.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
Jimbo Fisher appears to be correct in his assessment earlier this week that the committee is bringing figure skating judging to college football.
Yeah, I really think that future committee selections need to have some sort of methodology that has more transparency to it. The BCS, for all of its flaws, was a fairly transparent selection process. People criticized the algorithms, but those were adjusted in later years. They need to first develop a system that rewards big wins over non-conference opponents, so as to force teams to play tougher non-conference schedules. But they need an algorithm and a more transparent process for deciding the top 4 (top 8 in the future, hopefully).

Old 12-03-2014, 07:56 AM

328 posts, read 328,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
I actually can see their points.

Alabama and Oregon have played the best football the last month or so then anyone else.

Fla St would be ranked 6th or lower if I had a vote. Watching them struggle 4 straight weeks against non ranked weak teams tells me they are not deserving of a final four spot at all.

So if Marshall went undefeated they should be ranked in the top 4 as some think any undefeated teams should be?

No, look deeper into the records.

They said they want the best 4 teams at the end of the season period.

Criteria are conference champions, head to head, if your team has improved during the season, quality wins against ranked opponents, strength of schedule, games played versus non ranked teams or teams with losing records etc.

Fla St is weak in almost all categories.

Something is going to happen this week, either Fla St or Oregon will lose and then the mess begins.

TCU should be a shoo in as they play the weakest team of the top group.

Alabama should beat Missouri.

Ohio St is now at third string QB. Another very talented player but no experience is what worries me. They should have enough to beat Wisconsin but him not having any playing time will tell.

By the way, those Buckeye haters, Barrett was just named to the first team all Big 10 and should be going to the Heisman awards as he is the third best ranked QB and only a freshman. He is going to be something special over time.

Had Braxton Miller not got hurt, Oh St would be 12-0 and he would be talked about for the Heisman.

If he comes back next year and they have him at QB and move Barrett to some kind of shotgun or wild cat with a trio of very good backs, next years team could be unstoppable on offense. Meyer is putting together a National title team.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakehighlands View Post
Gary Fatterson and the TCU Horned Frogs are now ranked ahead of a no loss FSU team. Makes perfect sense!!!
It does when you consider that TCU's played a tougher schedule from one week to the next and that FSU has had some very narrow escapes against teams they should have defeated by 3 TDs. The kinds of performances that FSU has had in the ACC would have resulted in at least one loss in the Big 12. That's not a knock on the ACC, which has a pretty good league in the top end of its conference. But Big12 is clearly tougher to escape unscathed. TCU's one loss was to 5th ranked Baylor - by a last minute FG. Just as I said when people piled on Alabama for getting ahead of OSU in 2011, if teams take care of business, it doesn't matter in the end. FSU has a chance to put an exclamation point on its season this weekend. Win against G Tech and there won't be any drama, especially considering TCU will probably backslide a little against a no-win situation game at ISU.

I have a feeling one of the top 4's goin down this weekend. It could be anybody - even TCU. Oregon, Alabama, and FSU are in the greatest danger, though. What would be crazy is if all of those teams somehow stumbled -- then what?!

Old 12-03-2014, 09:21 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,704,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
It does when you consider that TCU's played a tougher schedule from one week to the next and that FSU has had some very narrow escapes against teams they should have defeated by 3 TDs. The kinds of performances that FSU has had in the ACC would have resulted in at least one loss in the Big 12. That's not a knock on the ACC, which has a pretty good league in the top end of its conference. But Big12 is clearly tougher to escape unscathed. TCU's one loss was to 5th ranked Baylor - by a last minute FG. Just as I said when people piled on Alabama for getting ahead of OSU in 2011, if teams take care of business, it doesn't matter in the end. FSU has a chance to put an exclamation point on its season this weekend. Win against G Tech and there won't be any drama, especially considering TCU will probably backslide a little against a no-win situation game at ISU.

I have a feeling one of the top 4's goin down this weekend. It could be anybody - even TCU. Oregon, Alabama, and FSU are in the greatest danger, though. What would be crazy is if all of those teams somehow stumbled -- then what?!
If Ohio State wins (big if I know with a QB with no experience) they should get the nod over TCU/Baylor. Not having a title game is a major disappointment and probably hurts the Big XII in the minds of the committee as all the other Power 5 do have a title game.

Just think if Bama loses and Florida St. loses (or it's very conceivable that Oregon could lose to AZ again) and TWO Big XII teams, Baylor/TCU, slide in....the other Power 5 will force the NCAA to either change its rule on having 12 teams with divisions for a title game or it will force the Big XII to add two teams (my preference! teams could be Cincy or Eastern Carolina [or make another run at NCSU] for WV proximity and U. of Central Florida for recruiting footprint) to enforce the existing rule.

I still think the four best teams are:

Bammer
Oregon
FSU
Ohio State

Edit: Also, it's gonna be highway robbery if TCU gets in over Baylor.....Baylor won the head-to-head! Also TCU barely beat OU in Fort Worth....The Fighting Baptists dismantled the Sooners in Norman, the toughest place to win in the Big XII historically. Everyone can speculate about TCU beating Baylor now because they are perceivably playing better. But we're just a few weeks removed from TCU almost getting upset by KANSAS. And again, Baylor won the head-to-head. Trust me, I'm not a fan of my conference....that's just weak (looking at you SEC) and I'd be very happy if no Big XII team makes it. However, if a Big XII team gets in, it should be The Fighting Baptists, assuming they beat KSU.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:13 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,256,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Yeah, I really think that future committee selections need to have some sort of methodology that has more transparency to it. The BCS, for all of its flaws, was a fairly transparent selection process. People criticized the algorithms, but those were adjusted in later years. They need to first develop a system that rewards big wins over non-conference opponents, so as to force teams to play tougher non-conference schedules. But they need an algorithm and a more transparent process for deciding the top 4 (top 8 in the future, hopefully).
Yes, more transparency is needed. Although I'm a fan of the good old days, even pre- BCS when undefeated was consistent with a #1 ranking, I can kind of see where they're coming from with Bama having to survive the carnage of the SEC west, the Oregon rank makes no sense to me. Bama has a road loss to an at the time very good Ole Miss, they also knocked a then #1 Miss St off the top and FSU and Bama have a common opponent (FL) that Bama thumped pretty handily while FSU squeeked by (FL missed 2 field goals as well).

Oregon on the other hand, IMO hasn't shown me any reason why they should be higher than FSU. Oregon has a HOME loss in a matchup they were solidly favored in. The argument the committee as well as the anti-FSU fanbase uses is "but FSU hasn't played anybody". Im not buying that at all as Oregon's schedule is loaded with its fair share of lightweights also. Oregon's opponents have a combined 63-70 record while FSU's are 67-63. I think some of the committee decisions are questionable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or