U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 05:18 AM

5,364 posts, read 6,000,411 times

Advertisements

Lol at debating whether the undefeated national champs should be in the top 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 08:17 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I get that and no doubt think that FSU should be in because of that but you have to acknowledge that of the top 4 to 6 teams, FSU is the least impressive...

Of course if they buck the odds and win their next two games in similar fashion then what will that say about style points? At the same time, if they get destroyed in the semi final... the #5 and #6 teams will say, told ya so! Of course if either #3 or #4 get dominated in the semi's, the #5 and #6 teams will have a legit argument about the system. In reality, its a no win situation for the committee.

Just expand the 4 teams to 8 already...

Old 12-07-2014, 08:17 AM

2,535 posts, read 2,026,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
I think the top 4 will be:

1) Alabama
2) Oregon
3) Ohio State
4) Florida State

- Only reason I think OSU will be #3 is so that they will match up with Oregon in the Rose Bowl, preserving the Pac-12 / B1G tradition. Bama-FSU in the Sugar Bowl, which isn't far away from either school travel-wise.

The committee will take the easy way out by leaving out both TCU and Baylor. Sidestep the H2H controversy altogether. Furthermore, since Ohio State is a big household name, meaning more eyeballs on TV sets a.k.a. $$$$$, the media (ESPN especially) will probably put pressure on the committee to put them in the top 4. The ESPN talking heads are already lobbying big-time for tOSU on Sportscenter. Personally I think both TCU/Baylor are more deserving than tOSU.

Also, if Texas and Oklahoma were in TCU and Baylor's shoes this year, then I guarantee that either Texas or OU would be in the playoff ahead of Ohio State...there wouldn't be much debate about that. TCU and Baylor have great teams and have had great seasons...but at the end of the day, they're still TCU and Baylor...they don't have seats at the big boys' table. Prestige matters.

EDIT: Ohio State's destruction of Wisconsin was so bad that I can't help but wonder if Wisconsin deliberately gave the game away to make tOSU look better in the committee's eyes.

Agreed. ESPN is praying for OSU. Baylor and TCU are great teams, but they aren't supposed to be sitting at the big-boy table. TCU especially is the type of team that can beat the other top squads. They don't want any surprises (like a Bama vs. TCU national championship) because the Horned Frogs aren't really intimidated by the big boys. Baylor is a great team, but I think they're more prone to choking on the national stage, like last year's Fiesta Bowl. ESPN would much rather see OSU, but they'll politic for Baylor if it keeps TCU out.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:22 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Agreed. ESPN is praying for OSU. Baylor and TCU are great teams, but they aren't supposed to be sitting at the big-boy table. TCU especially is the type of team that can beat the other top squads. They don't want any surprises (like a Bama vs. TCU national championship) because the Horned Frogs aren't really intimidated by the big boys. Baylor is a great team, but I think they're more prone to choking on the national stage, like last year's Fiesta Bowl. ESPN would much rather see OSU, but they'll politic for Baylor if it keeps TCU out.
Surely ESPN's memory is not that short. OSU was less than impressive in their last 2 BCS Champ games.

2007 Florida 41, Ohio State 14
2008 LSU 38, Ohio State 24

OSU's larger fan base is driving argument here, not their play on the field and certainly not their recent history of bowl game accomplishments.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:11 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,256,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I know, I don't see how it's even a debate. The naysayers make it sound like they struggled with a bunch of Podunk U's and BFE Welding Colleges but their opponents are legit. Eight of their opponents are off to bowls and 5 of the teams they beat are in the top 15 of the nation's defenses. No one else in the top 4 can claim that.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:34 AM

3,220 posts, read 3,734,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Agreed with the first few sentences.. After that. What? This is the second time you've said that crap about TCU being able to beat the top 4 teams but Baylor not. I think you are severely underestimating that UCF team, just as Baylor did. Their QB was like the 3rd(?) overall draft pick?

61 - 58

Never Forget

Old 12-07-2014, 09:42 AM

8,260 posts, read 9,556,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Tell that to Miami fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
Won more games I believe in BCS Bowls then anyone during that era.

Won a Natl title against a team that had or has 24 NFL players on it.

B10 focuses on academics, they dont allow players to play who need a constant tutor beside a kid who has a 2.0 gpa out of HS.

Most SEC, Pac and B12 teams are loaded with players who could not get into most B10 schools because of academics standards are so much higher.

Choke?

Oregon a few others would be considered chokers.

At least Ohio St got to championship games while most teams mention here other then Bama has not.

Yes lets look at Ohio St. past performance big games against non Big 10 competition the couple of years.

2006 Florida 41, Ohio State 14

2007 LSU 38 Ohio State 24

2008 USC 35 Ohio State 3
2008 Texas 24 Ohio State 21

2009 USC 18 Ohio state 15

2011 Miami 24 Ohio State 6

2011 Florida 24 Ohio State 17

2013 Clemson 40 Ohio state 35

2014 Virginia Tech 35 Ohio State 21

Old 12-07-2014, 09:55 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,608,124 times
I've changed my mind about the final four -- Ohio State should be in and the Big 12 should be out. I'm as skeptical of OSU as anyone, but after last night, there's really no way to keep them out. They're a conference champion. The Big 12 has only itself to blame for not having a conference championship game, which it abandoned this year, probably (and ironically) thinking that it would hurt their conference's chances. The Big 10 took the risk that the Big 12 wouldn't, and its conference champion ought to be rewarded for that.

And no, I'm not buying into the conspiracy theory that Wisconsin rolled over. The Badgers might have rolled over in the 2nd half a little, but this was a first-round knockout delivered by the Buckeyes, who are *back* under Urban Meyer.

If it were up to me, my final four would be as follows:

1. Oregon
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. Florida State

Unfortunately, however, my prediction is that the Committee might go in a slightly different direction:

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Florida State

The Committee has set itself up to fail by putting TCU in the third spot; it should have been fourth behind Florida State. As it stands now, even as impressed as they surely are with OSU's domination of Wisconsin, they're going to look stupid no matter what they do. It's a matter of cutting their losses and not looking quite so stupid. If they bump the defending undefeated national champion out of the picture, nobody will take the championship committee seriously. Florida State's in, or they'll be demanding a new committee and an immediate expansion to an 8-team playoff. Not gonna happen.

The committee has no choice but to choose between one-loss teams. They've already indicated that Baylor's out, despite having defeated the team in front of them. You couldn't logically explain moving Baylor ahead over TCU now when they've been trailing the last 4 or 5 weeks. So then it boils down to TCU and Ohio State. And the question that demands asking - and answering - is, did TCU do anything this week that made them look any less dominant than they were a week ago? And the answer is no. So Ohio State could have won 100-0, and it still wouldn't have mattered. The Committee screwed Ohio State a few weeks ago when it ruled them out by putting TCU in the 4 and then solidified that when TCU thrashed a really had Texas Longhorns team that's been a running joke over the past four seasons.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:16 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,862,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I've changed my mind about the final four -- Ohio State should be in and the Big 12 should be out. I'm as skeptical of OSU as anyone, but after last night, there's really no way to keep them out. They're a conference champion.
OSU's strength of schedule was weak, as evidenced by it annihilation of Wisconsin during the Big Ten championship game, with a 3rd string QB at helm. And it lost to Virginia Tech.

Expand the playoffs to 8 schools.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:24 AM

328 posts, read 328,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Surely ESPN's memory is not that short. OSU was less than impressive in their last 2 BCS Champ games.

2007 Florida 41, Ohio State 14
2008 LSU 38, Ohio State 24

OSU's larger fan base is driving argument here, not their play on the field and certainly not their recent history of bowl game accomplishments.
Losing is not choking, choking is when a team misses an opportunity to win a game.

You left some facts out.

Ohio St won MORE BCS bowl games then any team in the BCS bowl series. Ohio St went to the most BCS bowl games of ALL schools.

Ohio St beat up what was suppose to be a high powered Oregon team a few years back in a bowl game.

And Ohio St has a National Championship and destroyed an NFL team of players from Miami to be the CHAMPS in 2002.

So who and what has your team won?

Ohio St is 6 and 3 in BCS bowl games. The most wins by any team.

Last year, 10 years ago means zero. That is why Fla St last year is not and should not be considered in this years decision. This years team sucks actually. But they played a weak schedule, should have no less then 4 losses and no one will have the guts to drop them like I would to No. 5.

ESPN is normally haters of Ohio St but they see this team that should be 12-0 if they had their 1st team QB and would be No. 1 right now beating the crap out of Wisconsin with a 3rd string QB. No other team in the country could have done what they did yesterday.

The only loss they had 4 starters on offense hurt and not playing including the QB. Two starters on D on playing due to injury.

No team has improved as much as Alabama, Oregon and OHIO ST week to week all year long.

Already people are making excuses if they are in or out.

We will see in a few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or