U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2014, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,292 posts, read 15,767,098 times
Reputation: 9858

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I'm a longhorns fan, and I agree. If it were Texas and Oklahoma we were talking about instead of Baylor and TCU, do you think the Selection committee would have left them out of the playoffs for Ohio State? Hell No! I GUARANTEE one or both of them would have made if they were in the same situation as Baylor and TCU. TCU and Baylor don't have the name Brand recognition or history or large fan bases that UT and Ok have, even though both Baylor and TCU would probably both beat Ohio State.
Yeah which is a problem with the rankings. We've seen TCUand Boise State go undefeated and get nothing higher than a 3rd finishing standing while both teams in the BCS bowl was an 11-1 or 12-1 team. Yes there is strength in competition but running up the board on a bunch of 3-9 or worse teams does not a great team make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2014, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,292 posts, read 15,767,098 times
Reputation: 9858
Default Replying to the Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I agree, partially. I'm not going to argue that Florida State should not have even been part of the conversation but I am going to argue that they should have actually made it into the top 4. I consider Florida State number 5.

Here is the issue I have. I don't think that because a team is successful the previous year it has any weight in what happens with that team the next year. As far as I'm concerned every season stands on its own.
The 2013 Florida State team was very good. They won the national championship. The 2014 Florida State team is undefeated, which makes some people think they are very good also but that isn't always the case (See the reasons I gave, and the example of the undefeated Notre Dame team in 2012). I'm not saying Florida State is a bad team I'm just saying I don't believe they are the number 3 team in the country (or number 4 for that matter). They played cupcake teams (for the most part) and struggled against many of them. Marshall was undefeated for most of the regular season but they were never close to being in the top 4 because their schedule wasn't strong enough. The teams Florida State played weren't terribly strong either (granted they were stronger than the teams Marshall played) and I'm not saying TCU played power house teams from top to bottom either. If you and the selection committing looked at this particular season (not taking into account what they did in 2013 as it does not matter because that what I separate season, with separate players [I consider Jamis Winston 2013 a separate player from Jamis Winston 2014]) objectively you/they will see Florida State played poorly and therefore struggled against teams that were not elite enough to justify struggling against.

If you look at just the stats you will also see TCU played a better game. TCU has a better QB. TCU has a better Defense. Looking at the teams Florida State played (ACC) vs the teams TCU played (Big 12) it seems that the defense was better in the ACC and the offense is better in the Big 12 (3 teams in the top 10 in the country in Yards per game [Baylor #1, TCU #4, and Texas Tech #10]. The highest ranked team in the ACC in terms of yards per game is GA Tech at #22, below Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, WVU, and Oklahoma). If that is the case TCU having the better defense, carries more weight than Florida State not having the better QB because their conference had/has a slightly better defense (although the Big 12's defense isn't terrible either because we have Texas, TCU, Kansas State and Baylor [all these teams are better in terms of Yards allowed per game than Florida State, Oklahoma is 2 places behind]).
I agree with you but unless we are on any of the pole boards or the the selection committee, our voices don't matter. Those do and they may have these biases or not. We can only assume and there is a saying about when you assume things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 09:05 AM
 
Location: FL
1,400 posts, read 1,256,302 times
Reputation: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I'm a longhorns fan, and I agree. If it were Texas and Oklahoma we were talking about instead of Baylor and TCU, do you think the Selection committee would have left them out of the playoffs for Ohio State? Hell No! I GUARANTEE one or both of them would have made if they were in the same situation as Baylor and TCU. TCU and Baylor don't have the name Brand recognition or history or large fan bases that UT and Ok have, even though both Baylor and TCU would probably both beat Ohio State.
Agreed, and along the same line of thinking if it were Ohio St or Alabama that was undefeated and in FSU's situation they would never have dropped them down, I don't care if they won several weeks in a row by 1-3 points. The trouble with Ohio St is if they are in there the tv ratings skyrocket not just because they have a large faithful fan base but for every fan of their's they have 3 times more watching to see them get whipped, and they usually don't dissapoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 12:39 AM
 
328 posts, read 328,518 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
Agreed, and along the same line of thinking if it were Ohio St or Alabama that was undefeated and in FSU's situation they would never have dropped them down, I don't care if they won several weeks in a row by 1-3 points. The trouble with Ohio St is if they are in there the tv ratings skyrocket not just because they have a large faithful fan base but for every fan of their's they have 3 times more watching to see them get whipped, and they usually don't dissapoint.
You forgot something. They won the most games of all the BCS bowl games of any team ever.

You cant just pick the few games they lost when they appear and won more games then any team in the country.

Get used to seeing them a lot as they are young, talented and have one of the best coaches ever. I see them winning a couple titles over the next few years.

If Braxton Miller comes back next year, they have Barrett and Elliott who are amazing themselves. I see them moving Barrett around as they will need to make room for Miller and those other two because they are that good.

Tressel left them with almost no defensive recruits, Meyer has had to work with little or nothing on defense and has done fantastic.

They are very young and have some amazing talent.

Only those who hate Ohio St or jealous of them hate them. Miami fans hate them because Ohio St kicked an NFL like Miamis team butt.

Not doing to bad for having lost a Heisman candidate before the season started. Cant imagine how could they would be with Miller playing.

Now they have to go with a 3rd string QB who would be starting at most all schools. I think he would start at Alabama ahead of their QB for sure.

Proud of them win or lose, they were not suppose to be this good yet. They proved all the haters wrong already and deserved to be in this game.

Cant imagine if they beat Bama if the haters will then run and hide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 12:28 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,607,529 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I agree, partially. I'm not going to argue that Florida State should not have even been part of the conversation but I am going to argue that they should have actually made it into the top 4. I consider Florida State number 5.

Here is the issue I have. I don't think that because a team is successful the previous year it has any weight in what happens with that team the next year. As far as I'm concerned every season stands on its own. The 2013 Florida State team was very good. They won the national championship. The 2014 Florida State team is undefeated, which makes some people think they are very good also but that isn't always the case (See the reasons I gave, and the example of the undefeated Notre Dame team in 2012). I'm not saying Florida State is a bad team I'm just saying I don't believe they are the number 3 team in the country (or number 4 for that matter). They played cupcake teams (for the most part) and struggled against many of them. Marshall was undefeated for most of the regular season but they were never close to being in the top 4 because their schedule wasn't strong enough. The teams Florida State played weren't terribly strong either (granted they were stronger than the teams Marshall played) and I'm not saying TCU played power house teams from top to bottom either. If you and the selection committing looked at this particular season (not taking into account what they did in 2013 as it does not matter because that what I separate season, with separate players [I consider Jamis Winston 2013 a separate player from Jamis Winston 2014]) objectively you/they will see Florida State played poorly and therefore struggled against teams that were not elite enough to justify struggling against.

If you look at just the stats you will also see TCU played a better game. TCU has a better QB. TCU has a better Defense. Looking at the teams Florida State played (ACC) vs the teams TCU played (Big 12) it seems that the defense was better in the ACC and the offense is better in the Big 12 (3 teams in the top 10 in the country in Yards per game [Baylor #1, TCU #4, and Texas Tech #10]. The highest ranked team in the ACC in terms of yards per game is GA Tech at #22, below Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, WVU, and Oklahoma). If that is the case TCU having the better defense, carries more weight than Florida State not having the better QB because their conference had/has a slightly better defense (although the Big 12's defense isn't terrible either because we have Texas, TCU, Kansas State and Baylor [all these teams are better in terms of Yards allowed per game than Florida State, Oklahoma is 2 places behind]).
You say TCU has a "better" this and played a "better" that, but there's no way to prove it. They and Baylor really didn't play anyone outside their conference and didn't attempt to. K-State at least played Auburn but lost. FSU scheduled the Gators like they do every year, assuming that they're going to be at least competitive. Didn't happen that way this year, but they play in a conference that has gotten the better of the SEC over the past two or three seasons. They're the only conference that can even challenge the aura of SEC invincibility, and yet people are calling the ACC 'weak'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 06:25 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,852,418 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
You forgot something. They won the most games of all the BCS bowl games of any team ever.
USC might have something to say about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
2,890 posts, read 4,203,048 times
Reputation: 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
USC might have something to say about that.
The football teams that has won the most bowl games:

1: Alabama 34 wins in 64 games
2: USC 32 wins in 49 games

16: Ohio 19 wins in 43 games


When you look at the win percentages then USC has the best record:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,798,327 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
The football teams that has won the most bowl games:

1: Alabama 34 wins in 64 games
2: USC 32 wins in 49 games

16: Ohio 19 wins in 43 games


When you look at the win percentages then USC has the best record:
The poster was referencing most BCS bowl wins. For that distinction, I believe Ohio State and USC are tied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 12:19 PM
 
328 posts, read 328,518 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
The football teams that has won the most bowl games:

1: Alabama 34 wins in 64 games
2: USC 32 wins in 49 games

16: Ohio 19 wins in 43 games


When you look at the win percentages then USC has the best record:

Not talking about total bowl games. We were discussing BCS era only.


Ohio St was the in most bowl games during the BCS and won 6 of those games.

If you want to look at overall Ohio St has won 856 total games ever and played less games then the top 5.

Alabama is behind them in total wins and LSU is 100 wins behind Ohio St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 07:00 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,607,529 times
Reputation: 3225
Yeah, Big12 is doin really well so far, lol. Just goes to show that flag football looks great on tv but put those nerf throwers of the big 12 against a real team and the truth is revealed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top