U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 12:28 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,182,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
Notre Dame just about got Fla St. Darn.

What a huge amount of changes in a few weeks. This is why I asked this question from the start to see if anything could foresee all of this.

Now we have 4 of the top 6 teams being SEC teams. So what happens when 3 of the top 4 teams end of being SEC teams as other teams and even the SEC teams beat each other up but still sit at the top for being just good teams who happen to beat each other?

Then here comes Alabama, who many wrote off early. They have two of the best and exciting players in college football and I can see them lining up to finish strong.

Is Miss St for real?

I do not see Fla St as a playoff team myself with all these better teams around them. I dont think they could handle Miss St, Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss and a few others at this point as they certainly are not as good as they were last year when I still did not believe they were the best in the country.

Who will win it all?

My sleeper is going to have to Alabama. They can knock of Miss St and Auburn they are a lock.
Which could be tough to beat both of those teams but I also did not think they would destroy Texas A&M either.
Of course they're going to keep 'Bama in there with Nicky Satan at the helm.

The Mississippi schools haven't played each other yet, so at least one will be out.

I see ONE SEC school making the playoff. Just one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 05:56 PM

931 posts, read 1,082,910 times
3 SEC Teams could happen but there is no chance of it. Both Mississippi schools go undefeated into the Egg Bowl and the winner loses to a Georgia team with 1 loss. They would forced to let all three in playoffs. 8 team playoff coming soon...

Old 10-21-2014, 11:57 PM

328 posts, read 328,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
3 SEC Teams could happen but there is no chance of it. Both Mississippi schools go undefeated into the Egg Bowl and the winner loses to a Georgia team with 1 loss. They would forced to let all three in playoffs. 8 team playoff coming soon...
Should be 6 right now.

Conference champs and 2 others leaving it open for teams with maybe one loss that is as good as the conference champs in most conferences.

Committee is all over those winning these conferences could be automatically in even with one loss. The SEC, PAC, B10 will get autos with one team left. Thinking the SEC could end up with two as they have by far the best group of teams in any conference and I believe their out of conference record is what 32-1 or something close. So you cannot leave a one loss SEC team out in my opinion unless we get someone knocking off a top ranked team.

ND had it chance and blew it. Oregons loss was a blow out if I remember, A&M looked good and now they are done. Someone will slide up from the 6-10 slots to grab one of the spots.

Yes, this is going to be a total mess and nigthmare before it is done.

Make it 6 teams, let them do a blind draw of who plays who and let them play it out.

At this point anyone but Florida St for me.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:40 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,975,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
That is About Correct
Say Miss State wins, loses to Georgia. They let Georgia in, Miss State and probably Alabama ....because they let Alabama in anyway. Alabama is today what Notre Dame was in the 7os.

Then florida state gets the other spot.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:21 AM

225 posts, read 441,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowtotheworld View Post
On the eve of the committee selections I submit the following for peer review:

1. Florida State
2. Mississippi St.
3. Auburn
4. Michigan State
Florida State is definitely lock as long as they handle business. Jameis Winston is no doubt the best QB in college football and you can't penalized a team base on margin of victory as long as they keep winning (Auburn in 2010)

I think Mississippi State will get in but they will not win the SEC. I think Alabama will give them a lost when they play since Bama is home and Bama will win out and win the SEC West but the Bulldogs resume will definitely get them in either way if there only loss is to a top 5 team on the road.

I have Alabama at the third position over Auburn because Bama has revenge on its mind and Auburn also has to play Georgia too which has the same motive and the way there defense looked this past weekend, I think theres no way there ending the season with only 1 loss.

The 4th slot is hardest of them all to choose but I will have to say TCU. They have West Virginia and Kansas State back to back weeks and if they win those games, its hard to keep them out with there only loss coming to Baylor by 3 pts.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:09 PM

6,544 posts, read 4,493,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
no ND, wow, that is a surprise. Are you picking Alabama to be second or is it just the way you though of the 4? I am not sure I would even have Alabama in the top 5. If they are that good, obviously AR is better than their record shows. and how about Auburn?

I would probably have:

Mississippi State
Aubrun
Fl St
ND

Of course you posted this 2 weeks ago, what a difference a few weeks can make.

As you said I posted that October 2. Back when Oregon & Alabama were undefeated, Miss State was a run of the mill top 15 team. If you thought mine were bad go back and look at some others. I think someone had Texas A&M AND UCLA both in it. What a difference 25 days can make.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:30 PM

6,544 posts, read 4,493,891 times
I posted this earlier this morning in the other thread but 2 teams to keep an eye out on that aren't getting much press:

1) Georgia. While the SEC West beats up on each other, the Bulldogs get to eat a couple of cupcakes since the East is a joke. The only remaining tough SEC game they have left this year is Auburn, but it's at home. if they haven't already officially locked up the East they're all but assured of doing so. They'll go into the SEC championship game with an 11-1/10-2 record (depending on how they fare vs. Auburn) and likely face the 10-2/11-1 West team that survived the gauntlet. What happens should Georgia beat Auburn and then the West winner?? Granted they came from the much weaker East division, but it's still the SEC and the guys in the suits LOVE the SEC! How could they NOT pick the conference champion??
2) Utah. Yup, that's NOT a typo. it boils down to SOS and I'll be danmmed if any team has a tougher remaining schedule than the Utes do in the country. The Utes over the final month of the season play: @ Arizona State (currently #15), Oregon (currently #5), @ Stanford (not currently ranked but was most of the year) Arizona (currently #14) and than the perfect trap game to end the year @ Colorado. Survive that and win the South?? oh, just another date with Oregon or Stanford, who if they win the North will certainly be ranked by then! For all the oohing and aaahing that goes to the SEC West, the Pac 12 South ain't a joke. 4 of the 6 teams are currently ranked (albeit highest is only at 14) and a 5th (USC) just missed the rankings.
And I posted this question: "There's 1 spot left: The choices are: Utah (who finished the regular season 11-2 [beat Oregon during the season lost to them in Pac 12 title game), Miss State (beat Alabama and lost to Ole Miss & Georgia in SEC title game to finish 11-2), Ole Miss (beat Miss State lost to Auburn to finish 10-2), LSU (wins out to finish 10-2) or Georgia (beat Auburn and then Ole Miss in SEC title game to finish 12-1). Which team are you selecting for the final spot?? I know who I'm taking......and it's none of the 4 SEC teams!"

Old 10-27-2014, 06:35 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,609,608 times
I would probably say only one SEC team right now, provided that TCU and Oregon win out the rest of their schedule. Michigan State, even if they dominate the Big, is a long shot, which is kinda unfair, but in some sense justified given the weakness of the conference.

However, if TCU or Oregon loses twice, then that opens the door for two SEC West teams a la LSU and Bama in 2011 -- emphasis on SEC West, 'cause Georgia's gonna get slapped around when they finally play a real team from their own conference. And if, god forbid, there are no 1-win teams from either the PAC or Big 12, then we could have the ultimate butt-hurt: a 3 team SEC field

Old 10-28-2014, 05:14 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,257,226 times
1 Miss St 2 FSU 3 Ole Miss 4 Notre Dame

Old 10-30-2014, 04:27 PM

328 posts, read 328,775 times
I am actually shocked to see these rankings as most probably are.

1 and 2 is a give me. Three and four not so much to my thinking.

Then again we have a ways to go and movement will be coming.

For me even if Fla St runs to table they should not be sitting at No. 2 because I dont think they could beat any of the top 6 teams. Weak schedule, weak conference and what they did last year should not be considered at all. Being undefeated has to have some clout but when you have far better 1 loss teams that would destroy Fla St the committee should be picking the best top 4, not who has no losses with a weak schedule and really got a win handed to them against Notre Dame.

Still thinking Alabama will slide up and be one.

SEC haters wont like it when they see 2 SEC teams in the final four.

Oregon got smacked and should not even be considered.

Funny thing for me is in the past I think we always knew 5-6 really good teams that could compete with each other and make good games but this years I think we have some weak teams with one loss that could slide into the playoffs and then get destroyed. I dont think TCU, Oregon and Mich St are good enough to beat Alabama, Miss St or even Ole Miss. Dont know about Auburn as I have not watched enough to see what they are made of.

Then you have Arizona, Baylor, Nebraska, Ohio St, Utah and even LSU who I think could beat some of those top 10 teams.

Like I said, this should be a 6 team playoff and not a 4 because I can see some good teams being left out and sliders like Fla St and Oregon get in when neither should be chosen at this point in time if they are going to pick the BEST OR TOP 4 teams in the country and not based on their records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or