U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2015, 08:13 AM
 
Location: The Dirty South.
1,573 posts, read 1,429,398 times
Reputation: 1097

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Some don't. The cultures of Oklahoma & Oklahoma State are very similar to that of A&M and Arkansas. None of these are Deep South schools like the Bammer or Mississippi schools.

Also, Missouri is more of a Southern outlier than any of the Oklahoma schools.

I just want OU to join a real conference if the Big XII is not going to add teams. I'm sick of being the "weird" conference that doesn't have at least twelve teams and a conf. championship. Plus, it would be awesome for traditional powers OU & Bama to square off more on a regular basis.

OU is 3-0 the last 3x we've played Bammer!
College station is a southern town that fits well with sec schools culturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2015, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,380 posts, read 8,371,514 times
Reputation: 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Texas a&m is not coming back. Since they joined the sec they have made way more money. And they recruit much better too. Going back to the big 12 would be foolish.
Better? Then why haven't they finished higher than 3rd place in the SEC West?

Sounds like typical A&M logic.

They would have made more money if they had agreed to join in the Longhorn Network when originally asked.

Agreed that OU and A&M are culturally fit for the SEC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2015, 11:28 PM
 
Location: The Dirty South.
1,573 posts, read 1,429,398 times
Reputation: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Better? Then why haven't they finished higher than 3rd place in the SEC West?

Sounds like typical A&M logic.

They would have made more money if they had agreed to join in the Longhorn Network when originally asked.

Agreed that OU and A&M are culturally fit for the SEC.
I'm not a a&m fan but only a naive person would think a&m is not doing better in the sec now. And I never said OU was culturally fit for sec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,380 posts, read 8,371,514 times
Reputation: 6970
We'll see if A&M is better without Johnny Football, but their place finishes in the SEC have been no better than it was in the Dinky Dozen. One great 11-2 season does not a trend make.
Their recruiting & finally hiring a real defensive coach will certainly help their cause. If they had stayed in the "Big" 12, they probably would've won it at least once in the last few years.

The Fisherman was saying above that OU is a cultural fit in the SEC, and I was agreeing with him on that point. Don't know how to multi-quote here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 03:20 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,707,999 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Texas a&m is not coming back. Since they joined the sec they have made way more money. And they recruit much better too. Going back to the big 12 would be foolish.
Well, for the record, I would rather have Nebraska back before A&M as the CornShuckers are a tradition-laden power which frankly the Ags are not.

Having said that, Nebraska is gone for good. I think it is much more likely that A&M tires of getting their butt handed to 'em year after year. I agree with ScoPro that A&M would have won the Big 12 conference at least once the last few years with Oklahoma & Tejas down.

Without Johnny Football A&M ain't doing squat in the SEC West. Too bad the Ags aren't in the SEC East....they might have a chance in that division having to beat a down Florida team, the Vols, or lowly former Big 12 North pushover Mizzwho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 03:28 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,707,999 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
We'll see if A&M is better without Johnny Football, but their place finishes in the SEC have been no better than it was in the Dinky Dozen. One great 11-2 season does not a trend make.
Their recruiting & finally hiring a real defensive coach will certainly help their cause. If they had stayed in the "Big" 12, they probably would've won it at least once in the last few years.

The Fisherman was saying above that OU is a cultural fit in the SEC, and I was agreeing with him on that point. Don't know how to multi-quote here.
Indeed. I think A&M, more than any of the other schools that left the Big 12, will regret it's decision in the next ten years or so because of the difficulty of the SEC West. LSU and Bama are going to be good if not great most of the time and with Auburn and the Mississippi schools rampin' it up it doesn't look good for the Ags for the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,633 posts, read 27,056,837 times
Reputation: 9577
What A&M did was allowed the other SEC schools into Texas. So before they left the big 12, they really had to battle Texas and OU for recruits. They usually won the matchups with Tech, Baylor, and sometimes with OSU. Now, they have to fight with Texas, OU, Alabama, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and LSU. Arkansas went downhill when they left the SWC and lost their Texas recruit connection. They got it back now when A&M left. Arkansas is really loving this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,633 posts, read 27,056,837 times
Reputation: 9577
The SEC is a southern conference basically. The ACC was before they added BC, Syracuse, and Pitt. But Texas will NEVER join the SEC. They fit in the best with them. But the administration and others do not care to go to the SEC. They would rather go to the PAC, BIG, or ACC. I truly think Texas, OU, OSU, Tech(or KU) would have worked in the Pac 12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,091 posts, read 3,017,801 times
Reputation: 864
I'm not so sure UT, Tech, OU, and OSU is out of the Pac-12 conversation...in a few years. UT is the prize for sure. The rest will just come along for the ride. Financially and power-wise, the Pac-12 and old Big 12 makes the economic sense to combat the SEC. Adding Big East Schools, mid majors-even from the Texas/SW area makes no sense economically. To form a super conference that will rival the SEC/ESECPN monopoly, everyone knows what needs to be done IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 09:48 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,707,999 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
I'm not so sure UT, Tech, OU, and OSU is out of the Pac-12 conversation...in a few years. UT is the prize for sure. The rest will just come along for the ride. Financially and power-wise, the Pac-12 and old Big 12 makes the economic sense to combat the SEC. Adding Big East Schools, mid majors-even from the Texas/SW area makes no sense economically. To form a super conference that will rival the SEC/ESECPN monopoly, everyone knows what needs to be done IMO.
To the bold, you're right on the money. And I would be for a Big 12 merger with the PAC if it truly could challenge the ESPN/SEC monopoly.

I'm not so sure it could without Fox Sports really stepping up its game everyday with the best highlights and coverage of sports (especially college football) as ESPN does. But if Fox could pull it off I'd be all for it. I can't stand how brazen ESPN is with their love of all things SEC. Anything that could chip away at that I would be all for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top