U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2015, 03:24 PM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,880,962 times
Reputation: 2774

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
As an Ohio State and Big Ten Fan, my dream would be that we could get Kansas and Oklahoma to join us...give us another football power and a basketball power and put us at 16 teams.

Oklahoma would get their old rivalry w/ Nebraska back (used to be my favorite game outside Ohio State vs that school up north).

It would screw the Big 12 and therefore Texas and the johny come lately TCU and Baylor.
I hope we do not see 16 team conferences. It's bad enough we have 14 team conferences right now. Unless they were to switch to a 10, or 11 game conference schedule (which I doubt we'll ever see), you're going to have gaps of years between say Wisconsin playing Ohio State outside of the Big Ten title game.

Rutgers still sticks out like a sore thumb in the Big Ten. The most out of place team in the big 5 conferences, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2015, 11:26 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,710,236 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
weight
Spelling Police!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 11:39 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,710,236 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
As an Ohio State and Big Ten Fan, my dream would be that we could get Kansas and Oklahoma to join us...give us another football power and a basketball power and put us at 16 teams.

Oklahoma would get their old rivalry w/ Nebraska back (used to be my favorite game outside Ohio State vs that school up north).

It would screw the Big 12 and therefore Texas and the johny come lately TCU and Baylor.
As an Okie first and a Sooner fan second, I hope we don't go to the B1G. Great conference but it's just too far away. Sooner Fans would be very unwilling to travel to away games over such a great distance. It also would be a horrible cultural fit for Oklahomans.....Southwesterners in a totally Midwest Conf. Doesn't sound too fun to me.

Plus, while I miss having Nebraska in the Big XII for name recognition I do not miss the OU/Nebraska rivalry. Tejas has always been and always will be our main rivalry. Oklahoma State has filled in very nicely replacing Nebraska as our #2 rival. I'm an ol' timer who used to love OU/Nebraska but Nebraska ha lost so much ground in recent years as an upper echelon program. Is this due to Nebraska losing recruiting in Texas? Possibly.

Final thought: how does the B1G wrestle OU away from Oklahoma State? If Okie State can't come along with OU then it's not even up for discussion. I think it is much more likely that the SEC West or PAC would be more open to keeping OU/Oklahoma State together. Either of those conferences make A LOT more sense geographically and culturally too. That's important to us Okies.

Finally, would the B1G take two non-AAU schools (OU/Oklahoma State)? They'd be going against their historical identity if they did. It would be a shock, not saying it's impossible, but I just don't see OU leaving Oklahoma State and Tejas leaving Tech. Not very likely. Best option: the Big XII expands and get backs to a level playing ground at a conference level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2015, 10:42 PM
 
1,455 posts, read 2,864,119 times
Reputation: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I hope we do not see 16 team conferences. It's bad enough we have 14 team conferences right now. Unless they were to switch to a 10, or 11 game conference schedule (which I doubt we'll ever see), you're going to have gaps of years between say Wisconsin playing Ohio State outside of the Big Ten title game.

Rutgers still sticks out like a sore thumb in the Big Ten. The most out of place team in the big 5 conferences, imo.
So does my Maryland. I just can't get into my alma mater playing a bunch of mid-western schools. It's just not the same. I'd take less money to go back to the ACC in a heart beat. Money's not everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2015, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,383 posts, read 8,376,472 times
Reputation: 6983
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
weight
That's a heavy thought.

Charlie Strong will need a couple more years to make the Horns competitive, but Bob Stoops is the one in the hot seat.
My Okie acquaintances tell me there has been a lot of grumbling in Norman as of late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2015, 03:41 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,710,236 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
That's a heavy thought.

Charlie Strong will need a couple more years to make the Horns competitive, but Bob Stoops is the one in the hot seat.
My Okie acquaintances tell me there has been a lot of grumbling in Norman as of late.
Yes, I think so.

If OU gets blown out by Baylor again it could be lights out for Stoops. Sooner Fans have grown very restless.

With that said, it's hard to imagine what coach OU could get that would be better than Bobby Stoops. There's probably only 5-6 coaches who could carry his jock....unless OU wants to double-down and go after Briles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2015, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,383 posts, read 8,376,472 times
Reputation: 6983
Briles is a really good coach but is starting to get long in the tooth. Maybe OU would want to get a younger guy who will be a longer term commitment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2015, 10:33 AM
 
Location: AriZona
5,230 posts, read 3,126,454 times
Reputation: 5395
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Briles is a really good coach but is starting to get long in the tooth. Maybe OU would want to get a younger guy who will be a longer term commitment.
I've always wondered about this phrase, until now:

Long in the Tooth Phrase - Meaning and Idiom Origins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2015, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,383 posts, read 8,376,472 times
Reputation: 6983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
I've always wondered about this phrase, until now:

Long in the Tooth Phrase - Meaning and Idiom Origins
Well, after the latest revelations about Briles' conduct concerning his recruitment of the questionable player in this week's Waco scandal, perhaps I was really thinking about the other end of the horse.

That is really going to taint his resume... maybe even for Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2015, 10:28 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,710,236 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopro View Post
well, after the latest revelations about briles' conduct concerning his recruitment of the questionable player in this week's waco scandal, perhaps i was really thinking about the other end of the horse.

That is really going to taint his resume... Maybe even for oklahoma.
:d:d:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top