U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 07:48 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,113,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
Why should they- outside of Florida State, they have the easiest road to the final four. No coference championship game- why make life harder on yourself?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 10:21 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,866,638 times
Quote:
Why should they- outside of Florida State, they have the easiest road to the final four. No coference championship game- why make life harder on yourself?
I'm pretty sure playing a 9 team conference schedule (added the quality opponents) is not an easy task in getting to the playoffs.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:55 PM

939 posts, read 649,120 times
No disrespect intended. It's just that the additional game makes it harder. Right now, Oklahoma looks to be a top 4 team.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:57 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,715,995 times
Quote:
No disrespect intended. It's just that the additional game makes it harder. Right now, Oklahoma looks to be a top 4 team.
I actually look at it from the other side. And I wish that the Big XII had 12 teams with divisions so we could have a conference championship game like the other Big 4 Conferences.

I think it makes it tougher on the Big XII not having divisions and a championship game because its the odd man out without the title game. Moreover, it is very unlikely that any of the top schools in the Power 5 will go undefeated in conference play. Losing a game earlier in the season against a conference foe doesn't put that team out of contention for the Playoff if they end up gaining steam and winning the conference championship in the conference title game.

OU (or any other Big XII school) doesn't have the luxury of losing a game because there is no conference championship to give the voters one last positive look after a loss earlier in the conference. I know the Big XII has tried to circumvent this problem of TV exposure and national perception by playing big conference rivalry games on the same weekends as some of the other conference championship games. It still does not overcome the negative perception that the Big XII doesn't have a title game and every other major conference does.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:42 PM

8,396 posts, read 8,388,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTales View Post

The Big 12 let Texas put the conference in a bad situation. And, because of Texas, we're the only power five conference without a network.
Hogwash, UT didn't run Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, & A&M off.

And every Big 12 team is free to sell its 3rd tier rights to a TV network just like Texas did to ESPN.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:03 AM

939 posts, read 649,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I actually look at it from the other side. And I wish that the Big XII had 12 teams with divisions so we could have a conference championship game like the other Big 4 Conferences.

I think it makes it tougher on the Big XII not having divisions and a championship game because its the odd man out without the title game. Moreover, it is very unlikely that any of the top schools in the Power 5 will go undefeated in conference play. Losing a game earlier in the season against a conference foe doesn't put that team out of contention for the Playoff if they end up gaining steam and winning the conference championship in the conference title game.

OU (or any other Big XII school) doesn't have the luxury of losing a game because there is no conference championship to give the voters one last positive look after a loss earlier in the conference. I know the Big XII has tried to circumvent this problem of TV exposure and national perception by playing big conference rivalry games on the same weekends as some of the other conference championship games. It still does not overcome the negative perception that the Big XII doesn't have a title game and every other major conference does.
I agree- in that respect it does make it harder. Why do they not add 2 more teams?

Old 10-03-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I agree- in that respect it does make it harder. Why do they not add 2 more teams?
I think Bowlsby has been pretty clear that there really are no "big time" teams left to add. All the major programs (and several lucky ones which have no business being in the Power 5) have been consolidated.

The primary reason the Big XII isn't adding teams is none of the remaining teams add any real value. Adding lesser programs will only cut into the profit of the teams already in the Big XII, more mouths to feed etc. with the same/or less amount of money.

I think that the Big XII should add Cincy for West Virginia (which I'm still not a fan of being in the conference) and then possibly UCF strictly for a more secure recruiting footprint in the talent-rich state of Florida.

BYU is just too far west. Houston would be a contender but then that would put 5 of the 12 team conf. from the state of Texas. I'm guessing that the Horns and others don't want another team getting top-flight Texas talent. Tulsa is too small and doesn't show any signs of getting a bigger stadium. Tulane might be discussion worthy, but in reality, it is way too small of a football program (maybe it brings some of the New Orleans market?....no, who am I kidding, LSU has the whole state locked down in terms of TV sets and market.) I can't think of any other teams which really add any value. The Big XII is pretty much screwed because it won't add teams because of the lesser value teams issue and it really NEEDS to add more teams for a better perception nationally.

Before it's all said and done, I think the Big XII brass will regret not adding teams, even if it meant less money/payout per team.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:42 PM

8,396 posts, read 8,388,277 times
^^^
Pretty much what the fisherman said, except the part about recruiting. Strong already has a pipeline into Florida and is getting most of the in-state kids needed. He's already flipped three from Briles.

On the national stage with the Ducks sunk last night, it's probably gonna be an all SEC playoff - if ESPN has anything to do with it.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:45 PM

1,367 posts, read 2,919,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I'm glad OU didn't go although it would have been fun competing and pounding on those SEC West teams!
Not taking away anything from the Sooners, but "pounding on those SEC west teams"? Maybe more like win some, lose some. Ya know, like when Texas A&M beat Oklahoma 41-13 not that long ago.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Not taking away anything from the Sooners, but "pounding on those SEC west teams"? Maybe more like win some, lose some. Ya know, like when Texas A&M beat Oklahoma 41-13 not that long ago.
LOL.

Picking an ol' Big 12 South team the Sooners routinely handled is probably not the best example.

Ask the Ags how they fared when they were in the Big XII.....one conference championship. The Sooners have 8 with an overwhelming (and several dominating wins...77-0 ring a bell?!) winning percentage against A&M.

Given what A&M (and Mizzwho) has been able to do, and I'm happy for its success because it makes the Big XII look good, I have no doubt that OU would compete every year in the SEC West.

Short memory? Remember OU pounding SEC Darling Bammer in the Sugar less than a year ago? Yeh, OU would be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or