U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2014, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Dixie's Sunny Shore
1,367 posts, read 2,916,964 times
Reputation: 825

Advertisements

I said "win some, loss some", so I do remember Alabama losing. I said I take nothing away from OU and they probably would compete, but beating everyone in the SEC West, not likely. My original post was not an attack on OU, relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2014, 08:10 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
I said "win some, loss some", so I do remember Alabama losing. I said I take nothing away from OU and they probably would compete, but beating everyone in the SEC West, not likely. My original post was not an attack on OU, relax.
You read into my post if you thought I believe OU would never lose. I'm sure the Sooners would have down years in the SEC West (just like there would be down years in any division/conference) but I'm confident, and more importantly I think it's clear Stoops and the OU administration would be confident, the good years would far outweigh the bad.

And I'm relaxing as I write this post so thanks for the tip.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 10-04-2014 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2014, 08:18 AM
Status: "Dow hits new high - over 27,000!" (set 6 hours ago)
 
Location: Suburban Dallas
46,852 posts, read 37,012,001 times
Reputation: 28338
Should OU leave the Big 12?


No. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2014, 08:22 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Should OU leave the Big 12?


No. Period.
Yeh. OU turning down Slive&Co. pretty much settled it.

Maybe the OP missed the media circus surrounding realignment the last few years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2014, 08:22 AM
 
Location: C-U metro
1,366 posts, read 2,731,754 times
Reputation: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Hogwash, UT didn't run Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, & A&M off.

And every Big 12 team is free to sell its 3rd tier rights to a TV network just like Texas did to ESPN.
Actually, A&M specifically said that the relationship with UT and the rest of the conference was one reason it left. That and Johnny Foo'ball could get them into the SEC. Colorado is no loss and they will get kicked out of the PAC 12 eventually. If the Big 12 doesn't act soon and scarf up the LDS coffers (BYU), the PAC 12 will kick out CU and pick up BYU. That is a more sensible trade for them. CU is not a power conference school now that the State Gov. has been systematically defunding the system to pay for K-12 ed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2014, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,633 posts, read 27,052,687 times
Reputation: 9577
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Actually, A&M specifically said that the relationship with UT and the rest of the conference was one reason it left. That and Johnny Foo'ball could get them into the SEC. Colorado is no loss and they will get kicked out of the PAC 12 eventually. If the Big 12 doesn't act soon and scarf up the LDS coffers (BYU), the PAC 12 will kick out CU and pick up BYU. That is a more sensible trade for them. CU is not a power conference school now that the State Gov. has been systematically defunding the system to pay for K-12 ed.
The Pac 12 will never kick out Colorado and they will never add BYU. The Bay Area schools will not vote in favor of religious schools. If the big 12 does disband, look for the Texhoma four to head west to the Pac 12. Many OU and UT fans dislike the conference. On one Texas forum, there is a 800 page thread on realignment with most of it being About Texas leaving and on an OU forum, they are in part 8 on the Sooners wanting out. Honestly, the conference will need OSU and maybe Tech to become household names. If not and the conference still relies on Texas and/or OU to be at the top of their game, the conference demise is inevitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2014, 06:33 PM
 
Location: AriZona
5,230 posts, read 3,122,914 times
Reputation: 5395
Quote:
Should OU leave the Big 12?
Never! Oklahoma is one of the staples of the Big 12. They help make this conference one of the Power Five.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2014, 08:56 AM
 
Location: georgia
939 posts, read 648,313 times
Reputation: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I think Bowlsby has been pretty clear that there really are no "big time" teams left to add. All the major programs (and several lucky ones which have no business being in the Power 5) have been consolidated.

The primary reason the Big XII isn't adding teams is none of the remaining teams add any real value. Adding lesser programs will only cut into the profit of the teams already in the Big XII, more mouths to feed etc. with the same/or less amount of money.

I think that the Big XII should add Cincy for West Virginia (which I'm still not a fan of being in the conference) and then possibly UCF strictly for a more secure recruiting footprint in the talent-rich state of Florida.

BYU is just too far west. Houston would be a contender but then that would put 5 of the 12 team conf. from the state of Texas. I'm guessing that the Horns and others don't want another team getting top-flight Texas talent. Tulsa is too small and doesn't show any signs of getting a bigger stadium. Tulane might be discussion worthy, but in reality, it is way too small of a football program (maybe it brings some of the New Orleans market?....no, who am I kidding, LSU has the whole state locked down in terms of TV sets and market.) I can't think of any other teams which really add any value. The Big XII is pretty much screwed because it won't add teams because of the lesser value teams issue and it really NEEDS to add more teams for a better perception nationally.

Before it's all said and done, I think the Big XII brass will regret not adding teams, even if it meant less money/payout per team.
BYU is no further away than W Virginia. I think Cincinnati and BYU are your best bets. Possibly C Florida or maybe Air Force- they are usually pretty compepitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2014, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Abilene, Texas
8,746 posts, read 7,738,514 times
Reputation: 55865
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
BYU is no further away than W Virginia. I think Cincinnati and BYU are your best bets. Possibly C Florida or maybe Air Force- they are usually pretty compepitive.
That's a good point about distance. I wouldn't have any problem with any of those teams from your list above joining the conference. I think Central Florida in particular would be a very good addition to the Big 12. It would be nice to tap into the Florida recruiting pool and if I remember correctly, UCF also recently expanded/upgraded their stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,379 posts, read 8,369,074 times
Reputation: 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The Pac 12 will never kick out Colorado and they will never add BYU. The Bay Area schools will not vote in favor of religious schools. If the big 12 does disband, look for the Texhoma four to head west to the Pac 12. Many OU and UT fans dislike the conference. On one Texas forum, there is a 800 page thread on realignment with most of it being About Texas leaving and on an OU forum, they are in part 8 on the Sooners wanting out. Honestly, the conference will need OSU and maybe Tech to become household names. If not and the conference still relies on Texas and/or OU to be at the top of their game, the conference demise is inevitable.
That realignment thread is only 788 pages. Been lurkin' on The Shaggy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top