Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 03:33 AM

73 posts, read 186,889 times

Advertisements

I'm just infuriated about Baker Mayfield. And not because OU needs him to back up Knight and let Knight run more. It's just not fair to Mayfield that Texas Tech is able to control his playing when they never gave him crap. They proved how evil they can be with the way they treated Mike Leach.

And what's this about the Big 12 telling Snyder, at K-State, that he needs to wear something that won't offend one of the sponsors? Bull-crap!

The Big 12 let Texas put the conference in a bad situation. And, because of Texas, we're the only power five conference without a network.

I think the OU should think about jumping ship and joining one of the other power five conferences. I'm thinking that OSU would go along and that'd make for even numbers to the new conference. And, what would the Big 12 have left? Well, they sure won't be a power five anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 08:40 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
The Baker Mayfield situation really looks bad for Texas Tech. I understand Baker's position to be that as a walk on, he did not have a grant in aid, and is not subject to the same rules the NCAA has in place for scholarship athletes. It seems petty of TT to prevent Mayfield from playing.

As for Snyder, he was silly for hanging on to stuff with obsolete logos. Sponsors call the shots of a lot of things - which sends huge amounts of money to KSU. If his school has a contract with Adidas he can't wear Nike just because he likes them. That's how it works.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:10 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTales View Post
I'm just infuriated about Baker Mayfield. And not because OU needs him to back up Knight and let Knight run more. It's just not fair to Mayfield that Texas Tech is able to control his playing when they never gave him crap. They proved how evil they can be with the way they treated Mike Leach.

And what's this about the Big 12 telling Snyder, at K-State, that he needs to wear something that won't offend one of the sponsors? Bull-crap!

The Big 12 let Texas put the conference in a bad situation. And, because of Texas, we're the only power five conference without a network.

I think the OU should think about jumping ship and joining one of the other power five conferences. I'm thinking that OSU would go along and that'd make for even numbers to the new conference. And, what would the Big 12 have left? Well, they sure won't be a power five anymore!
OU has already turned down the SEC.

Slive & Co. wanted OU/A&M as a package deal a few years ago instead the SEC got A&M/Mizzou.

I'm glad OU didn't go although it would have been fun competing and pounding on those SEC West teams! Oklahoma is a South-Central/Southwestern state and has no business geographically being in the SouthEASTERN Conference.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The Baker Mayfield situation really looks bad for Texas Tech. I understand Baker's position to be that as a walk on, he did not have a grant in aid, and is not subject to the same rules the NCAA has in place for scholarship athletes. It seems petty of TT to prevent Mayfield from playing.

As for Snyder, he was silly for hanging on to stuff with obsolete logos. Sponsors call the shots of a lot of things - which sends huge amounts of money to KSU. If his school has a contract with Adidas he can't wear Nike just because he likes them. That's how it works.
To the bold, ABSOLUTELY.

Kingsbury, in my opinion, does not have the best image....at least not one a head football coach would really want = pretty boy celebrity type who runs off QBs. Not good. He's got bigger problems on his hands now figuring out that lack of defense.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:37 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTales View Post

The ACC, SEC and Big Ten already each have 14 teams. There's no need for 16 team conferences. Heck 14 team conferences are a bad thing, imo. Geographically speaking, OU to the Pac 12 would be weird.

OU and OSU for that matter, should stay right where they are in the Big 12.

College football has already seen enough shifting in conferences, pretty much all of the moves have been for the worse. See Maryland going to the Big Ten and Missouri going to the SEC.

Last edited by TAM88; 09-29-2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old 09-29-2014, 12:29 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The ACC, SEC and Big Ten already each have 14 teams. There's no need for 16 team conferences. Heck 14 team conferences are a bad thing, imo. Geographically speaking, OU to the Pac 12 would be weird.

OU and OSU for that matter, should stay right where they are in the Big 12.

College football has already seen enough shifting in conferences, pretty much all of it have been for the worse. See Maryland going to the Big Ten and Missouri going to the SEC.
I agree, a 16 team conference would be way too big, 14 teams is stretching it. Twelve teams is the ideal number of teams IMO. As a result, I say OU should not leave the Big 12.

As far as Mayfield goes, I wish Kingsbury/Tech would stop preventing Mayfield from playing just so everyone will quit whining about it.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I agree, a 16 team conference would be way too big, 14 teams is stretching it. Twelve teams is the ideal number of teams IMO. As a result, I say OU should not leave the Big 12.

As far as Mayfield goes, I wish Kingsbury/Tech would stop preventing Mayfield from playing just so everyone will quit whining about it.
I agree, T-Tech Dave. Kinsbury doesn't need any more outside distractions. Let the kid play and be done with it.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:14 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Short answer? No. Grant of rights for starters.

My sarcastic response? Sure, let's leave a conference that makes us $21,000,000 annually because tt wants to block an immediate transfer of a third string QB. Makes perfect sense. Burn Cody Thomas RS for all I care. I'll take the epic curb stomp that is headed towards coach swag and that dumpster fire in Lubbock come November. Karmas a ***** and it goes way back before Baker Mayfield was even in jr high.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Short answer? No. Grant of rights for starters.

My sarcastic response? Sure, let's leave a conference that makes us $21,000,000 annually because tt wants to block an immediate transfer of a third string QB. Makes perfect sense. Burn Cody Thomas RS for all I care. I'll take the epic curb stomp that is headed towards coach swag and that dumpster fire in Lubbock come November. Karmas a ***** and it goes way back before Baker Mayfield was even in jr high.
Correction: I think we made closer to 22 mil last year once the bowl monies came in. I agree with you, OU needs to stay put. The only option now is adding a few lower tier teams like Cincy and UCF.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:46 AM

939 posts, read 794,954 times
Why should they- outside of Florida State, they have the easiest road to the final four. No coference championship game- why make life harder on yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football