Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 01:07 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
I'm not so sure UT, Tech, OU, and OSU is out of the Pac-12 conversation...in a few years. UT is the prize for sure. The rest will just come along for the ride. Financially and power-wise, the Pac-12 and old Big 12 makes the economic sense to combat the SEC. Adding Big East Schools, mid majors-even from the Texas/SW area makes no sense economically. To form a super conference that will rival the SEC/ESECPN monopoly, everyone knows what needs to be done IMO.
lol - You'd like to see your Ducks pound the Longhorns year in & year out. But yes, I'd rather see UT in the PAC 12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 05:28 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,037,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Indeed. I think A&M, more than any of the other schools that left the Big 12, will regret it's decision in the next ten years or so because of the difficulty of the SEC West. LSU and Bama are going to be good if not great most of the time and with Auburn and the Mississippi schools rampin' it up it doesn't look good for the Ags for the foreseeable future.
A&m has been successful in baseball, Tennis and track and field in the sec as well. Let's not forget football is not the only sport. A&m football will be fine in the sec.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:39 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
A&m has been successful in baseball, Tennis and track and field in the sec as well. Let's not forget football is not the only sport. A&m football will be fine in the sec.
Already turning to the non-football sports argument? Seems a tad early for that.

When OU has a down year from time to time I always hear this....."well at least we won the natty in softball, or tennis, or gymnastics!" I'm thinking who cares (no offense smaller sports...and I played college ball/b-ball way back when.)

You're either a football school or you're not. OU is one. The other schools in the SEC West definitely are. A&M?.....I'm not so sure now.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Already turning to the non-football sports argument? Seems a tad early for that.

When OU has a down year from time to time I always hear this....."well at least we won the natty in softball, or tennis, or gymnastics!" I'm thinking who cares (no offense smaller sports...and I played college ball/b-ball way back when.)

You're either a football school or you're not. OU is one. The other schools in the SEC West definitely are. A&M?.....I'm not so sure now.
I say give a&m a few years. You think OU can beat A&M in a football game if they played now? I think it would be very close.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Also these past two years a&m has been getting recruits from the southeast that they never would have got while still in the big12. Look at speedy noil for example. I think a&m will be OK. After all the sec did go after a&m to join.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I say give a&m a few years. You think OU can beat A&M in a football game if they played now? I think it would be very close.
I do think it would be very close. Very similar teams in where they're at right now.

And A&M handed it to the Sooners last time they squared off in the Cotton Bowl. Probably retribution for that 77-0 drubbin' the Sooners put back on the Aggies in the early 2000's.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Also these past two years a&m has been getting recruits from the southeast that they never would have got while still in the big12. Look at speedy noil for example. I think a&m will be OK. After all the sec did go after a&m to join.
Oh, A&M was/is a great prize for the SEC, no doubt, opening up the Tejas market and all. The SEC is counting that Tejas $$$ all the way to the bank.

Often, given how horrible the Big 12's perception is as a conference, I wish OU would have gone with A&M. The story goes that Boren & Constiglione took a private jet to College Station and begged A&M administration to stay in the Big 12. The SEC was wooing OU at the same time given that the Horns had already thumbed their noses at Slive & Co. previously.

As one of the posters noted above, that would have spelled big-time disaster for the Shorthorns....having both OU & A&M in the SEC West. But alas, it was not meant to be. I still think some major shakeups are coming though. There is no way the Big 12 can remain a viable conference with 10 teams and NO CONFERENCE TITLE GAME!

I wish we would just add either BYU/Cincy or Cincy/UCF and become a whole/healthy conference again for the future. Probably looking at moving to four conferences of 16 though.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Oh, A&M was/is a great prize for the SEC, no doubt, opening up the Tejas market and all. The SEC is counting that Tejas $$$ all the way to the bank.

Often, given how horrible the Big 12's perception is as a conference, I wish OU would have gone with A&M. The story goes that Boren & Constiglione took a private jet to College Station and begged A&M administration to stay in the Big 12. The SEC was wooing OU at the same time given that the Horns had already thumbed their noses at Slive & Co. previously.

As one of the posters noted above, that would have spelled big-time disaster for the Shorthorns....having both OU & A&M in the SEC West. But alas, it was not meant to be. I still think some major shakeups are coming though. There is no way the Big 12 can remain a viable conference with 10 teams and NO CONFERENCE TITLE GAME!

I wish we would just add either BYU/Cincy or Cincy/UCF and become a whole/healthy conference again for the future. Probably looking at moving to four conferences of 16 though.
I wouldn't mind seeing OU in the sec just imagine playing auburn and Alabama every season that would be fun. I hope Houston and UCF can join the big 12. I really think Houston can compete.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:45 AM

656 posts, read 1,355,818 times
I wouldn't want to watch away games at 10pm+ ... I think most Texas area fans would agree.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:58 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
I wouldn't want to watch away games at 10pm+ ... I think most Texas area fans would agree.
If Texas was in the Pac 16, there wouldn't be that many 10pm + games. Only 2 at the most and if they played Oregon or USC or UCLA, that game would be primetime anyway starting at 7 even if it was at Autzen, The Coliseum, and the Rose Bowl. If they had these divisions:

Pacific Division:
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
USC
UCLA

Southwest Division:
Texas
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Arizona State

You play 7 games against your division, 2 games out of conference and 2 games against the Pacific division each year and one of those games will likely be at home. I think the time difference that people think would be a problem is greatly exaggerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football