U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2014, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,215 posts, read 83,947,016 times
Reputation: 41993

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTales View Post
Tough break. It was a field goal kind of a day. West Virginia hit a 57 yard one to beat Texas Tech and Arizona missed one that should have gone to lose to USC.
and AR lost partly because of a blocked field goal. It looks like an interesting year for college football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2014, 04:31 PM
 
32,559 posts, read 26,495,720 times
Reputation: 19187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
The Wildcats are still growing into many areas of Coach Rod's football program. To me, it's surprising a loss hadn't happened before now because of the youth in so many positions, but Arizona definitely has been given a good plan.

I thought the #10 ranking was way too much, and it only happened because of all those upsets last week. The normally biased pollsters were scrambling, and were seriously sucked into the overall hype - because so many of their fave teams went down in flames! I would've preferred that they continued to ignore Arizona like they usually do, instead of overcompensating them up to #10!
well i think arizona should have been ranked after they beat oregon, just not number 10 from not being on the polls the week before. i thought they should have gotten into the polls around 18-20. then if they had beaten USC moved up to around 12-14. and if the cats could have gotten through the UCLA game undefeated, THEN they could have cracked the top ten., perhaps even as high as 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2014, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,928 posts, read 6,243,590 times
Reputation: 6221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well i think arizona should have been ranked after they beat oregon, just not number 10 from not being on the polls the week before. i thought they should have gotten into the polls around 18-20. then if they had beaten USC moved up to around 12-14. and if the cats could have gotten through the UCLA game undefeated, THEN they could have cracked the top ten., perhaps even as high as 8.
Arizona has historically upset a highly ranked team just about every year since forever no matter what their record. Heck in 1967 they beat Ohio State and that was around the time that Woodie had one of his best runs and Arizona was a tiny WAC school in a backwater town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2014, 07:19 PM
 
Location: AriZona
5,230 posts, read 3,148,905 times
Reputation: 5406
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well i think arizona should have been ranked after they beat oregon, just not number 10 from not being on the polls the week before. i thought they should have gotten into the polls around 18-20. then if they had beaten USC moved up to around 12-14. and if the cats could have gotten through the UCLA game undefeated, THEN they could have cracked the top ten., perhaps even as high as 8.
Exactly. You're right. That would have been the best way for these panicky pollsters to have "remembered" Arizona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Arizona has historically upset a highly ranked team just about every year since forever no matter what their record. Heck in 1967 they beat Ohio State and that was around the time that Woodie had one of his best runs and Arizona was a tiny WAC school in a backwater town.
Absolutely, and yet the media rarely looks twice at Arizona because they're too busy worrying about what their own favorites are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2014, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,928 posts, read 6,243,590 times
Reputation: 6221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Exactly. You're right. That would have been the best way for these panicky pollsters to have "remembered" Arizona.



Absolutely, and yet the media rarely looks twice at Arizona because they're too busy worrying about what their own favorites are doing.
The UofA gets hurt because ASU is in the Phoenix market and in the early '70s the Fiesta Bowl was basically created to allow ASU to get exposure.

Secondly, the UofA plays night games that start too late for East Coast and Central time zone people to stay up and watch. I think that after mid september they need to try to get as many day games televised as they can. If it's a good game against a good opponent I think people back east will tune it in more frequently. Unfortunately when they do play a Power 5 conference team at home it's inevitably early in the season and at night.

Most overlooked program in America IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 07:47 AM
 
Location: AriZona
5,230 posts, read 3,148,905 times
Reputation: 5406
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The UofA gets hurt because ASU is in the Phoenix market and in the early '70s the Fiesta Bowl was basically created to allow ASU to get exposure.

Secondly, the UofA plays night games that start too late for East Coast and Central time zone people to stay up and watch. I think that after mid september they need to try to get as many day games televised as they can. If it's a good game against a good opponent I think people back east will tune it in more frequently. Unfortunately when they do play a Power 5 conference team at home it's inevitably early in the season and at night.

Most overlooked program in America IMO.
Absolutely. However, Arizona's basketball & baseball programs manage to muddle through somehow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 10:26 AM
 
32,559 posts, read 26,495,720 times
Reputation: 19187
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The UofA gets hurt because ASU is in the Phoenix market and in the early '70s the Fiesta Bowl was basically created to allow ASU to get exposure.

Secondly, the UofA plays night games that start too late for East Coast and Central time zone people to stay up and watch. I think that after mid september they need to try to get as many day games televised as they can. If it's a good game against a good opponent I think people back east will tune it in more frequently. Unfortunately when they do play a Power 5 conference team at home it's inevitably early in the season and at night.

Most overlooked program in America IMO.
actually arizonas football program is overlooked often for good reason. it has been for the most part a mediocre program for decades. they have had their bright spots, but they rarely lasted more than a couple of seasons before lapsing back into obscurity.

remember the desert swarm year? the next season the defense was not as good. perhaps rich rod will bring the program out of it doldrums and its ups and downs for a while, and really put the spotlight on the program much like lute olsen did on the basketball program in the 80s, and jerry kendel did for the basball program in the 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 06:37 PM
 
Location: AriZona
5,230 posts, read 3,148,905 times
Reputation: 5406
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
perhaps rich rod will bring the program out of it doldrums and its ups and downs for a while, and really put the spotlight on the program much like lute olsen did on the basketball program in the 80s, and jerry kendel did for the basball program in the 70s.
Not to mention Arizona's undefeated post-season play and Baseball National Championship in 2012 under Coach Andy Garcia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2014, 12:06 PM
 
32,559 posts, read 26,495,720 times
Reputation: 19187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Not to mention Arizona's undefeated post-season play and Baseball National Championship in 2012 under Coach Andy Garcia!
lets hope that coach garcia can bring the baseball program back to prominence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2014, 01:48 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
14,330 posts, read 19,584,978 times
Reputation: 18436
Tough loss to UCLA, damn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top