U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:59 AM

11,680 posts, read 7,067,088 times

Advertisements

I agree and I'd say a large percentage of them are smart enough to know they won't make a living playing pro. That means the college game is the end of the road for 'em so they play with nothing but heart. That's the biggest reason something like March Madness is so fun...some kid you've never heard of from some school you've never heard of can do something great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 08:54 AM

8,406 posts, read 8,398,200 times
American football is like the game of Chess - all ages can learn to love it.

It is a very complicated game - much more sophisticated than soccer - even though much of it involves brute force. Most outsiders don't seem to grasp that.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:30 AM

32,522 posts, read 26,415,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Lol, you must not be familiar with the Red River Shootout or the Iron Bowl if USC-UCLA is the best challenger to Army-Navy you can come up with.

I understand and respect the tradition behind the two service academies, but how many people do you know that are actually interested in the game itself?

I'd say Texas-OU takes it. Stadium is almost equal mileage between the schools, cotton bowl split in half, the fair. Nothing like it.
i am quite familiar with the iron bowl, i am a big auburn tigers fan ever since they came to the UA stadium to play the wildcats in 1969(?). i was at that game. but very few of the big rivalry games are broadcast around the world like the army/navy game is every year, and has been for many decades.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:39 AM

8,406 posts, read 8,398,200 times
WTF happened to the Tigers, lettin' the aggies beat them?

Old 11-11-2014, 01:51 PM

6,894 posts, read 6,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i am quite familiar with the iron bowl, i am a big auburn tigers fan ever since they came to the UA stadium to play the wildcats in 1969(?). i was at that game. but very few of the big rivalry games are broadcast around the world like the army/navy game is every year, and has been for many decades.

UofA played Auburn in the Sun Bowl in 1968.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:30 PM

14,600 posts, read 22,455,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
WTF happened to the Tigers, lettin' the aggies beat them?
Their defense has been suspect thus far and the aggies are another SEC W opponent. Due to strength of in-conference schedule, they keep each other sharp.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:31 AM

169 posts, read 104,941 times
I will be the first to agree that the NFL is a better game, but I still prefer college football to the pro game.

Maybe it the rawness, and the pure effort put out by kids who have nothing to lose.

Maybe I just can't get into a particular pro team, but support a local college team.

College football just seems better than the NFL.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:24 AM

1,587 posts, read 989,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racional View Post
I will be the first to agree that the NFL is a better game, but I still prefer college football to the pro game.
Maybe it the rawness, and the pure effort put out by kids who have nothing to lose.

Maybe I just can't get into a particular pro team, but support a local college team.
College football just seems better..
Great post..
The other thing I'll add is superior intensity of college/alumni rivalries.. Schools that have been playing each other over 100 years, etc.
With the hyper free-agency in pro football, players are constantly switching teams which has diluted pro rivalries.. A guy playing for the Redskins isn't gonna hate the Cowboys like he used to, 'cuz he might be playin' for Dallas next year. It used to be a player likely would spend his whole NFL career playing against ( & disliking) division opponents. College guys do still spend their whole college careers hating/battling the same rivals..

Old 11-12-2014, 10:10 AM

32,522 posts, read 26,415,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

UofA played Auburn in the Sun Bowl in 1968.
thanks for correcting me on that. it has been a while.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:19 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,372,625 times
Really not sure what needs to be explained.... the same question is constantly asked by many here in the US about the love European's have for their soccer... ahem... futbol.

Two different sports... but fans of both are equally passionate.... that's all that matters whether one "gets it" or not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or