Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 09:55 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times

Advertisements

Pro sports is a private affair between private parties. College sports are mostly state/local schools that represent your community and go up against others. Kind of like a country will rally behind their team at the Olympics, citizens will rally behind their local university to be their representatives. Example: West Virginia lacks pro sports, so we turn to WVU (and to a lesser extent Marshall) to rally behind and support the state of WV on the athletic field.

Plus like others have said, college athletes are fun to watch because they are giving their all, unlike professionals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 09:31 PM

169 posts, read 124,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Pro sports is a private affair between private parties. College sports are mostly state/local schools that represent your community and go up against others. Kind of like a country will rally behind their team at the Olympics, citizens will rally behind their local university to be their representatives. Example: West Virginia lacks pro sports, so we turn to WVU (and to a lesser extent Marshall) to rally behind and support the state of WV on the athletic field.

Plus like others have said, college athletes are fun to watch because they are giving their all, unlike professionals.
Do you think that Charleston, Huntington, or Morgantown could ever support a professional team?

Old 11-15-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racional View Post
Do you think that Charleston, Huntington, or Morgantown could ever support a professional team?
No. The market is simply not big enough. WVU does well simply because the whole state rallies behind them, and not just a particular area. We have less than 2 million people state-wide, and our largest metro area Charleston/Huntington has only about 600k (including OH and KY).

Old 11-15-2014, 12:24 PM

17,796 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
thanks for correcting me on that. it has been a while.
No problem. I got to the UofA in 1981 and there were still people around that would talk about them beating
Auburn. I had to look it up to make sure but Ohio State was the game they talked about from the '60s and for some reason they had a rivalry with Iowa that still seems to go on. I think from the Iowa side it got a big ramped up because of Lute leaving Iowa for the UofA.

1981 is the year that the Cats beat #1 USC on the road. It's truly amazing how many times they have upset highly rated teams through the years including this year's win at Oregon.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:25 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
No. The market is simply not big enough. WVU does well simply because the whole state rallies behind them, and not just a particular area. We have less than 2 million people state-wide, and our largest metro area Charleston/Huntington has only about 600k (including OH and KY).
That's true. States with smaller populations (smaller markets) will usually rally around any of their surging college teams, because these states wouldn't be able to handle the cost of a pro team. However, what can happen is that any pro teams within close proximity will receive the loyalties from these states!

Old 11-15-2014, 12:57 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
What's there not to like when GA Tech just KILLED Clemson. Woot Woot !!!!!!!. I'm seriously partying tonight .

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...and-highlights

The vibe, chic's, team spirit, and action on field all fire me up.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 11-15-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 11-17-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
That's true. States with smaller populations (smaller markets) will usually rally around any of their surging college teams, because these states wouldn't be able to handle the cost of a pro team. However, what can happen is that any pro teams within close proximity will receive the loyalties from these states!
Bingo, most West Virginians pull for Pittsburgh teams, Washington teams, or Ohio teams. Location, Location, Location!

Old 11-20-2014, 06:18 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
There is no rivalry like Bama/Auburn. This rivalry is alive and well 365 days a year, and it is like no other.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:44 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gia1990 View Post
Can someone please explain, turn on the light bulb for me, as to why Americans love their college football?

I feel on the dumb side asking this lol. I understand if you have son, sibling, cousin, basically a relative or friend on a college team you want to support them and the team. But it seems like its just an American thing. I haven't heard of other countries putting so much emphasize on college athletes. I mean they are students too. I'm sure some of the students play sports due to scholarships and their ultimate goal might not even be sports related. I tried getting into this or even college basketball, since I do love basketball but I can't.
American college athletic programs have become huge revenue streams, especially in football. The NFL has a rule which basically prohibits professional teams from drafting until players complete their 3rd year of eligibility, so the talent level is pretty good already at the college level. I think it's that combined with the traditions behind school rivalries. And honestly, Americans tend to be a little more superficial than other cultures - we really see college as a place to balance academics with other things that really don't have anything to do with academics. College sports is one of those things, I reckon.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:48 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
There is no rivalry like Bama/Auburn. This rivalry is alive and well 365 days a year, and it is like no other.
Right now, yes, but when both teams are on, Michigan/Ohio State is about the most intense rivalry I can think of. I've gone to an SEC school and I tend to be biased, but when you talk to Ohio State grads, you can sense just how much they absolutely hate Michigan, and vice versa. Coach Cooper got fired even after posting two or three 1-loss seasons -- one loss to Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football