U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 01:17 PM

225 posts, read 441,784 times

Advertisements

I know the BCS wasn't perfect but for the most part, the system worked. So I never understood why wouldn't they have a 8 team playoff get elected in the same way the two teams in the BCS are elected. I rather have a conflict between who's 8/9 over who's 4/5 because this year, honestly the Top 8 teams are honestly pretty even. What are yall thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 01:46 PM

5,093 posts, read 6,858,898 times
The committee should be unbiased. A lot of those guys have football roots and ties to specific schools. That includes Oliver Luck who is the AD at my beloved Mountaineers (for sake of example had 3 losses and were ranked 23 in their CFP poll).

Old 11-17-2014, 02:12 PM

771 posts, read 1,208,763 times
I have no issues with the committee, at least not yet. No system that ranks teams that don't play each other in a complete round-robin tournament is going to be free of controversy.

That said, I would also prefer an 8-team playoff and I believe we're going to get there eventually. This is the only way you can keep all conferences happy every year and it's also more fair in my opinion: five Power 5 conference champions + one Group of 5 team + 2 wildcards.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:49 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,912,172 times
No fair play off system will ever exist with so many team and so few play off games. This season is example of any Saturday among the top ten teams.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:25 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,122,914 times
Everybody (including me) wants their team in the Final Four, but since that will never happen there will always be controversy.

People were unhappy when there was no BCS... they were unhappy with computers and polls when there was a BCS... and now they're unhappy because there is a committee and no BCS.

They're unhappy because there should be an eight team playoff and not a four team playoff. They're unhappy that Condoleeza Rice is part of the committee and they're unhappy because Archie Manning is not currently on the committee.

Bottom line? Everybody (including me) wants their team in the Final Four, but since that will never happen there will always be controversy.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:17 PM

328 posts, read 328,582 times
I actually think this is going to be worse then the BCS.

The only way to fix it is to have 6 total teams, not 4.

Normal years teams down 7 to 25 are usually easy to place.

This year, teams are evenly matched with not one single team being the supreme power team or teams we have seen in the past.

Teams this year in slot 5 and 6 will probably be just as deserving as no. 1.

Going to be a mess.

I think the committee needs to be a group of 21 members. Odd number for voting purposes. They should be like they are already picked, well known college football analyst, former coaches, writers etc.

No none football knowledge people should be on the committee at all.

Sure you will have bias people but with 21 people, the bias person will be easily seen by the others with the committee members being able to remove/vote a member for showing any bias whatsoever.

No one knows there formula.

One week we hear it is going to be the best 4 teams no matter who they are and what conference. Then the SEC haters jump on and see the SEC is by far having maybe 3 of the best teams in all of college football.

Then they move to the we have to add conference champions in the final four.

This is why I believe in 6 teams. Conference champs from the 4 major conferences and two wild card teams in a round robin playoff.

Toss the 6 teams names into a hat and pull out who plays who and go from there.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:02 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,489,472 times
I still think 8 is the way to go:

ACC, Big 10, Big 12, SEC & Pac-12 champion get the first 5 automatic slots. Final 3 slots vary:

IF there's a champion from a minor conference (American, Mountain West, MAC, C-USA or Sun Belt) that is ranked ahead of a big 5 conference champion that team gets the 6th spot in the playoff. if there's more than 1, the highest ranked team gets the top spot. The final 2 (or 3 spots) go to Wildcard teams that can come from ANY conference but there needs to be a minimum of 10 wins to be able to get selected. So, if you finish 9-3 with all 3 losses to teams that finished unbeaten, sorry your out of luck and probably shouldn't be playing for a championship anyways.

So, in this case (assuming the team highest ranked wins the conference we'd have:

Florida State out of the ACC
Baylor from the Big 12 (they are higher ranked than K-State who they have yet to play and beat TCU head to head so if they both finish at 8-1 Baylor wins the tiebreaker)
Ohio State from the Big 10 (they beat Michigan State head to head so will represent the East in the Big 10 title game should they finish tied and are higher ranked than any West team).
Oregon out of the Pac 12
Alabama out of the SEC (they have the head-to-head over Miss State which sends them to Atlanta if both end 7-1).
Now that we've taken care of the first 5 we get to the non-major conferences.

None of those 5 winners would end up lower ranked than non-major winners so there's 3 spots left.

Where things can change:
Florida State losing in the ACC championship game, or Missouri beating Alabama (Mizzou is up in the loss column on Georgia) in the SEC championship game could potential see Marshall ranked ahead of one or both of them at seasons end so Marshall would get the 6th slot and that only leaves 2 spots.

4 spots is a disaster. At best there will be at least 1 major conference winner left out and at worst there might be more. Now that ohio State beat Michigan State, the Big Ten winner almost surely gets left out of the playoffs; if Oregon loses to anyone in the South OTHER than Arizona State the Pac-12 probably gets left out; If Kansas State wins the Big 12 (would involve them beating Baylor & TCU losing to Texas) they likely get left out as well.
6 spots isn't much better. Even if you take all 5 BCS conference champions that's only 1 wildcard spot, and there are bye's in play as well.
16 spots is asytmetrical which is good. But it's way to many teams.
8 spots is perfect. The BCS bowls get their money which is what they want (all 4 BCS bowls would host a quarterfinal game; and 3 of the 4 would host semi's and finals which rotate yearly).

I understand 8 is where we were in the BCS format which had problems in it's own right, but at least all 8 would be competing for a national championship instead of just in an individual bowl game.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:03 PM

11,787 posts, read 13,359,377 times
If UA and MissSt end up in the final 4, I hope the committee has the chutzpah to put them in opposite brackets to prove to everyone just how tough the SECW is. People from around the country talk about how much they hated the Alabama vs LSU rematch, but at the same time want to downplay the strength of the conference. Can't have it both ways. Put them in opposite brackets and you have the chance of getting them both eliminated before the big game in two separate matchups against teams from elsewhere in the country. Don't punk out and make them eliminate one in a rematch.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:30 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,758,657 times
The strength of schedule has to place an increasingly important factor in the rankings.

Tv networks are now paying huge dollars for the contracts, and they need good matchups to recoup their investments.

A team who plays big game matchups and goes 9-2 deserves as much or more consideration that a team that goes 11-0 and loads up on menial non conference matchups.

I enjoy seeing the big powers playing each other in non conference matchups and it beats the heck out of watching a power crush Podunk Tech 73-3. Power ranking based upon an RPI ranking such as college hoops should be used.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:31 PM

6,851 posts, read 6,186,695 times
The committee will be a disaster. Too few people making a decision that has too high of stakes.

The problem never was the BCS system. The problem was the selection of only two teams with so many being worthy most years.

Now were going to have these 12 people in their splitting hairs over teams that all deserve to be in the playoff.

If Bama doesn't get in old Harvey Updike will have their addresses and be down at the tree poison shop the very next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football