U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 07:47 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,862,750 times

Advertisements

The College Football Playoff Committee is punishing the Big 12 for not having 12 schools. And there's no way the other P5 conferences are going to allow the Big 12 to have a championship game with only 10 schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 08:17 PM

5,094 posts, read 4,939,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
The College Football Playoff Committee is punishing the Big 12 for not having 12 schools. And there's no way the other P5 conferences are going to allow the Big 12 to have a championship game with only 10 schools.
Lets see they could add U of H, that would be 11, and who else ?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:13 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,870,341 times
Quote:

I was thinking there will be some phone calls made to Houston this week, trying to get Houston or Rice back in the conference. Would they want both or maybe SMU again? Maybe UTSA to get representation from that area.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:24 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
OK this is my chance to rant.

What's up with Ohio State jumping in front of either team for the Championships?

Either team could blow away Ohio.
hubby and I agree completely: hubby thinks it has to do with Jeff Long who was on the comittee and is a grad of Ohio State. At least I think that is what hubby said.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:45 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,828,803 times
Quote:

I agree with the commentary I heard this morning on the way in to work. Beside the size of the Big 12, it also has to do with the Big 12 lacking a conference championship.

Glad the Buckeyes made it to the show. They've gone through three quarterbacks this season. Starter was out early, second string made it to Heisman level discussion before breaking his ankle against Michigan, and now Cardale Jones comes in and blows out Wisconsin in the B1G Championship game.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:09 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,858,898 times
Let's get serious about expansion in the Big 12, and add Cincy, BYU, UCF, and Tulsa/Memphis/somebodyelse

Old 12-08-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Lets see they could add U of H, that would be 11, and who else ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I was thinking there will be some phone calls made to Houston this week, trying to get Houston or Rice back in the conference. Would they want both or maybe SMU again? Maybe UTSA to get representation from that area.
Does either UT-Austin or Oklahoma want another Texas school eclipse to them? They already have to compete A&M, Baylor and TCU for talent. I don't think those two schools would want to add Houston, SMU or Rice to the equation. They'll say we already have the Texas market wrapped up to exclude schools from Texas.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Let's get serious about expansion in the Big 12, and add Cincy, BYU, UCF, and Tulsa/Memphis/somebodyelse
BYU is the only program that brings value upfront. It has a large stadium and a fervent fan base. But it doesn't play (basketball) on Sundays. All of the other schools bring potential that has to be developed over 10 years, assuming the schools are interested in more than just a pay day.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:08 AM

771 posts, read 1,208,965 times
Personally I think the committee got it right and I disagree both with those who claim TCU / Baylor got snubbed AND with those who say the weekly rankings were a sham.

The committee had already mentioned the difference between TCU, Baylor and Ohio State was minimal. And if you look at what teams 3-6 did on the final week of the season, this is what you get:

3. TCU: A victory against a weak and unranked Iowa State (11th win).
4. Florida State: Wins conference championship game against a highly ranked Georgia Tech (13th win)
5. Ohio State: Wins a conference championship by drubbing a highly ranked Wisconsin (12th win).
6. Baylor: A victory against a very highly ranked Kansas State (11th win).

To me it's very clear Baylor had to be ranked ahead of TCU after they both played a complete schedule. The Big12 conference itself declared both teams co-champions, so as far as the conference is concerned, both are equally good. But the difference is Baylor did beat TCU, so Baylor had to be ranked ahead of TCU.

Ohio State has a record of 12-1 vs 11-1 of both TCU and Baylor. That's one extra victory (and one extra chance to lose) and not in some random game against a weak team. That extra win came after dominating a highly ranked Wisconsin team in a conference championship game. If either TCU or Baylor had also earned a 12th win against a ranked team, then things would be much different. They have the Big12 to blame for this.

TCU might have been ranked ahead of Florida State, Baylor and Ohio State last week. But since then, Ohio State, Florida State and Baylor have added much more significant things to their resume than a win against lowly Iowa State. And since the committee had already mentioned these teams were all very close, I don't see anything wrong or inconsistent with the final rankings.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:10 AM

1,623 posts, read 4,334,138 times
Honestly, neither TCU, Baylor nor Ohio State really were a clear cut #4 team. So none of them had a reason to demand they deserved it or should cry that they weren't selected. You can make a reasonable case for any of them.

TCU's only loss was against the #5 team by 3 points, it beat #25 Minnesota by more points than Ohio State.
Baylor beat TCU and had the best 2 quality wins: #6 TCU and #11 Kansas State.
Ohio State had the most ranked wins: #8 Michigan State, #18 Wisconsin, #25 Minnesota. It's strength of schedule was the strongest and they played the strongest OOC schedule of them all.

I am not sure if the championship game would have really mattered. It would have been a rematch between Baylor vs. KSU played a week after they just played if they kept the old North/South Divisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football