Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:12 AM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times

Advertisements

I look at it this way. The conference championship is like round one of the playoffs. To make it into the final four, you have to win your conference. If you do that, you advance. If you don't even play a conference championship, you don't qualify. I bet that the Big 12 adopts a conference championship game this year as they should have from the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 10:16 AM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
And since the committee had already mentioned these teams were all very close, I don't see anything wrong or inconsistent with the final rankings.
I do. OSU lost to a Virginia Tech team that was pitiful in every sense of the word. TCU's only loss came to an opponent who was ranked No. 6 at the time (and ultimately finished in the Top 10). TCU is clearly the better one loss team (on paper and in reality).

College football is such a joke. The committee simply wanted OSU in because it's a prestigious program with a huge fanbase. Blatant favoritism. It's no different from UNC or Duke being able to play their opening games of the NCAA basketball tournament in Greensboro or Charlotte every year.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:21 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I do. OSU lost to a Virginia Tech team that was pitiful in every sense of the word. TCU's only loss came to an opponent who was ranked No. 6 at the time (and ultimately finished in the Top 10). TCU is clearly the better one loss team (on paper and in reality).

College football is such a joke. The committee simply wanted OSU in because it's a prestigious program with a huge fanbase. Blatant favoritism. It's no different from UNC or Duke being able to play their opening games of the NCAA basketball tournament in Greensboro or Charlotte every year.
True, Ohio State's loss was worse than TCU's. But they also have an extra win, a significant one too. Is a quality win more valuable than a loss? The committee has clearly said yes, by ranking both Alabama and Oregon ahead of Florida State.

I can see at least two good things coming from all this:

a) The Big12 will have to add a championship game and maybe even expand;
b) Teams will begin scheduling better out-of-conference matchups, which is a great thing for us fans.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:43 AM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
True, Ohio State's loss was worse than TCU's. But they also have an extra win, a significant one too. Is a quality win more valuable than a loss? The committee has clearly said yes, by ranking both Alabama and Oregon ahead of Florida State.
The committee is full of crap. As long as Alabama beats the hell out of them (which they should since OSU couldn't even handle Virginia Tech), then all will be alright in the world.

Quote:
I can see at least two good things coming from all this:

a) The Big12 will have to add a championship game and maybe even expand;
b) Teams will begin scheduling better out-of-conference matchups, which is a great thing for us fans.
Or the playoff will be expanded to more teams. I thought the BCS system was better than this; it had at least had some semblance of objectivity.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:28 AM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
BYU is the only program that brings value upfront. It has a large stadium and a fervent fan base. But it doesn't play (basketball) on Sundays. All of the other schools bring potential that has to be developed over 10 years, assuming the schools are interested in more than just a pay day.
True, but there is no one else.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:34 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
One thing for sure;Ohio State better make a better showing they have in championship for BCS will look like fools.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:52 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
One thing for sure;Ohio State better make a better showing they have in championship for BCS will look like fools.
On the flip side TCU better beat up Ole Miss pretty good especially with an 11-1 vs a 9-3 otherwise the committee is going to look like geniuses. TCU should of paired off against a 10-2 Miss St IMO, but I think Ole Miss will still beat them.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:50 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Maybe the Big 12 should actually have a conference champion rather than complaining about other conference champions (who actually played in conference championship games and definitively won their respective conferences).

Old 12-08-2014, 12:58 PM

771 posts, read 1,459,566 times
Plus what kind of conference calls itself Big12 and hen go have only 10 teams? :P

Old 12-08-2014, 01:01 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
They need to expand the playoff to at least six teams already. With all those good teams out there, I just knew someone would be left out who is deserving of a spot. Just way too many teams for just four spots.

As others have stated its 8 or nothing.

6 you have to play with bye's and stuff and if there's only 6 and you take every big 5 conference champ (Big 10, Big 12, ACC, Pac 12, SEC) that only leaves 1 at-large; then if you don't take all 5 conference champs, your open for controversy again.

I like 8. Conference champs from the Big 5 conferences and then 3 at large.
IF the winner of the American, C-USA, MAC, Mountain West, or God forbid the Sun Belt is higher ranked than a winner from that big 5 conference they get an automatic slot in the playoff, and you are left with 2 at-large from any FBS school.

This year we wouldn't have had a non power 5 winner finish higher than a power 5. We would've had:
ACC champ Florida State (#3)
Big 10 champ Ohio State (#4)
Big 12 champ Baylor* (#5)
Pac 12 champ Oregon (#2)
SEC champ Alabama (#1).
*= Baylor won the head to head game so they would've gotten the automatic bid.
Final 3 at large teams would've likely been TCU (#6), Mississippi State (#7) and Michigan State (#8). And it only takes up one more weekend: Play the quarters Tuesday, December 23, the semi's Thursday, January 1, and the finals Saturday, January 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football