Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 03:53 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times

Advertisements

I hope FSU and OSU get embarrassed in their games. Then the TCU - Ole Miss blow will loom even larger and make the playoff committee look that much more stupid. And I see OSU getting blown out (less so but still certainly a possibility FSU).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 04:16 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I hope FSU and OSU get embarrassed in their games. Then the TCU - Ole Miss blow will loom even larger and make the playoff committee look that much more stupid. And I see OSU getting blown out (less so but still certainly a possibility FSU).
Why knock FSU? They went undefeated so they deserved to get in.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Why knock FSU? They went undefeated so they deserved to get in.
I posted this in another thread a couple weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I think it is a joke that Florida St. is in and TCU is out. Yeah Florida St. won the National Championship last year, but they also looked MUCH better last year. This year they are undefeated but looked terrible in many games and if they were playing in a confrence as loaded as the SEC, PAC-12 or the Big 12 they would be far from undefeated. Florida St. this year reminds me of Notre Dame of 2012. ND in 2012 went undefeated in the regular season but struggled in many games that that a #4 team (their ranking in the national championship game) would not have struggled in (See: Pittsburg, Purdue and BYU all at ND). And then ND goes to get blown out in the NCG by a far superior team in Alabama. This year Florida St struggled against Ga. Tech, Florida at Florida St(where Jamis Wintson threw 4 interceptions against a team whose only quality win was against Georgia), Boston College at Florida St, Miami (whose best win was a 12 point win against Duke [at Miami]), at home against what ended up being a pretty terrible Notre Dame team (a Notre Dame team whose best win was a 3 point win against Stanford [a team that finished the season unranked and 7-5] at ND), at North Carolina St. (where they were down 24-7 in the first quarter to a team whose best win was at North Carolina? ), Clemson at Florida St. (Clemson a team who throughout the entire regular season hadn't beat a single team that was ranked at the time), and Oklahoma St. (a team that bearly made it to a bowl game by beating Oklahoma in Overtime). It could be argued that Flordia State's best win was at Louisville (winning by 11) (Louisville a team that had no wins against a ranked team, and whose best win was against a reeling Notre Dame team by 3).

Compared to TCU:

A team who only lost to a 5th ranked baylor team at baylor by 3. A team that beat Oklahoma St. easily (Oklahoma St. was also ranked 15 at the time and an Oklahoma St team that Florida St struggled with). A team that beat a weak (but before being beaten by Wisconsin was ranked 18) Minnesota team. A team that destroyed Texas Tech (albeit not a great team). Beat WVU at WVU in crappy conditions. They also beat a #7 ranked Kansas St team without to much trouble. The only team they struggled against which they shouldn't have was at Kansas.

BOLD means better than the other

TCU's Best win: 21 point win over at the time #7 Kansas St
Florida State's Best win: 11 point win over an overrated #25 Louisville

TCU: #2 in the FBS in Points per game and #16 in Points allowed per game (#87 Passing yards allowed per game: 242.4, #13 Rushing yards allowed per game: 117.1)
Florida St: #29 points per game #30 points allowed per game (#50 Passing yards allowed per game: 218.2, #60 Rushing yards allowed per game: 160.1)

Common Opponents:
Florida St. played an Unranked Oklahoma St team and won by 6. TCU played a #15 ranked Oklahoma St. team and won by 33.

Just for fun lets look at the QB's

Florida St. (Jamis Winston): Passing: 276-422 (65.4%) Yards: 3559 Touchdowns: 24 Interceptions: 17 Sacks: 15
Rushing: Attempts: 49 Yards: 80 Touchdowns: 3

TCU (Trevone Boykin): Passing: 279-461 (60.5%) Yards: 3714 Touchdowns: 30 Interceptions: 7 Sacks: 20
Rushing: Attempts: 142 Yards: 642 Touchdowns: 8

Defense

Florida St.: Tackles: #57, 837 Sacks: #108, 17.0 Interceptions: #31, 13 Fumbles Recovered: #32, 11
TCU: Tackles: #70, 821 Sacks: #20, 35.0 Interceptions: #3, 23 Fumbles Recovered: #15, 13

Old 12-31-2014, 06:24 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,026 times
While TCU certainly had an impressive victory over Ole Miss, I don't think it really proves anything in regards to the playoff selection. Going into this game, the real question was whether we'd see the Ole Miss team that got their butts kicked by Arkansas or the Ole Miss team the decisively beat Miss State. I think we clearly saw the former. Not to take anything away from TCU, but they didn't beat the Ole Miss that beat Alabama and Miss State, the beat the bumbling team that got whooped by Arkansas.

TCU fans make a good argument for why the playoff should include more teams. Perhaps TCU is the best team. But they most certainly did not deserve one of 4 playoff spots. If they had been the Big 12 champion, they'd have a better argument. But if the Big 12 had bothered to name a champion, it would have been Baylor.

We have to recognize how fortunate we are to have the 4 team playoff this year. While there is much fighting over who deserved that 4th spot, at least we aren't fighting over just 2 spots like in the past. It would have been inexcusable to shut out FSU, the only undefeated team and defending champion. Most of the FSU bashing is predicated on the ACC being a weak conference. After Old Miss and LSU's loss, the SEC's dominance is being called into question. We'll see what happens with MSU vs. GT. When all is said and done, we may find the ACC is the dominate conference.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:57 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
But if the Big 12 had bothered to name a champion, it would have been Baylor.
This. Baylor is the one that should be in the Sugar Bowl.. Not TCU. I am jealous TCU got such an easy break against Ole Miss though.. I have a feeling Michigan State will put up a much better fight.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
While TCU certainly had an impressive victory over Ole Miss, I don't think it really proves anything in regards to the playoff selection. Going into this game, the real question was whether we'd see the Ole Miss team that got their butts kicked by Arkansas or the Ole Miss team the decisively beat Miss State. I think we clearly saw the former. Not to take anything away from TCU, but they didn't beat the Ole Miss that beat Alabama and Miss State, the beat the bumbling team that got whooped by Arkansas.

TCU fans make a good argument for why the playoff should include more teams. Perhaps TCU is the best team. But they most certainly did not deserve one of 4 playoff spots. If they had been the Big 12 champion, they'd have a better argument. But if the Big 12 had bothered to name a champion, it would have been Baylor.

We have to recognize how fortunate we are to have the 4 team playoff this year. While there is much fighting over who deserved that 4th spot, at least we aren't fighting over just 2 spots like in the past. It would have been inexcusable to shut out FSU, the only undefeated team and defending champion. Most of the FSU bashing is predicated on the ACC being a weak conference. After Old Miss and LSU's loss, the SEC's dominance is being called into question. We'll see what happens with MSU vs. GT. When all is said and done, we may find the ACC is the dominate conference.
lol.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:03 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
This. Baylor is the one that should be in the Sugar Bowl.. Not TCU. I am jealous TCU got such an easy break against Ole Miss though.. I have a feeling Michigan State will put up a much better fight.
I have a feeling MsU is going to get rolled. Bad.

ACC is proving to be a top notch conference. At least the last couple of years with the top 2-3 teams from the conference. Their best 2-3 is as good as any.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:30 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Era of SEC dominance is over.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:47 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Let's wait until we see the outcome of the Alabama game before we shovel dirt on the SEC.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:44 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Maybe a little premature to declare that. I still think the SEC is the best conference, though they are not as dominant as they have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football