U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 05:18 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,210,418 times

Advertisements

19/32 so far - wrong on the Rose, Sugar, Cotton, and Fiesta...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 05:42 AM

977 posts, read 1,633,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Did I call it, or did I call it?
Your analyses are usually right on point, so I am not shocked that you were right. Almost nailing the scores on both games is pretty damn impressive though.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:42 AM

1,573 posts, read 1,436,845 times
I think tcu should have been in playoffs. Luckily for them most of their starters return next season.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:54 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,893,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
I think tcu should have been in playoffs. Luckily for them most of their starters return next season.
Just because TCU crushed Ole Miss, does not mean they should have been in the playoffs. Florida State was 13-0 and clear ACC champions. Ohio State was 12-1, clear Big Ten Champions. Same goes for both Alabama and Oregon. TCU and Baylor fans can look at their conference and see why they did not make the playoff - they don't have a clear cut champion. The Big 12 needs to add 2 teams and bring back a conference title game.

The TCU and Baylor situation is another reason why the playoff field needs to be expanded to 6, or 8 teams.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:59 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,618,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Just because TCU crushed Ole Miss, does not mean they should have been in the playoffs. Florida State was 13-0 and clear ACC champions. Ohio State was 12-1, clear Big Ten Champions. Same goes for both Alabama and Oregon. TCU and Baylor fans can look at their conference and see why they did not make the playoff - they don't have a clear cut champion. The Big 12 needs to add 2 teams and bring back a conference title game.

The TCU and Baylor situation is another reason why the playoff field needs to be expanded to 6, or 8 teams.
Yep, agree with the above. They definitely made an argument for six or eight teams, but like it or hate it, there's still a beauty contest element to the NCAA FBS post-season. It is what it is. I sympathize with TCU's fan base, but it's hard to argue that Ohio State didn't belong. Florida State was obviously the weakest team entering the playoff but they were still the owners of 29 straight wins and the defending national and two-time defending ACC champs. Hard to argue against their presence even with some of their lackluster wins. Any of the four teams could point out quite fairly and legitimately that great teams don't give up 60 points, which TCU did.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:00 AM

16,534 posts, read 21,020,887 times
Thread re-opened. No personal attacks!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-02-2015 at 08:53 AM..

Old 01-02-2015, 09:15 AM

5,417 posts, read 7,729,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post

Right on the money.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:24 AM

8,563 posts, read 8,908,735 times
This means the SEC was over rated, the top 3 of the B1G taken to lightly and the PAC 12 about where we thought they were, will probably finish with the best record of the power 5.
To say that TCU doesn't have an argument is silly. You can't tell me they wouldn't have a shot at beating any of the 4 playoff teams. Of course they have an argument that's why it's controversial and heavily debated. And why we need 8 teams in the playoff , but hallelujah the farce of the BCS is a bad memory now .

Old 01-02-2015, 09:47 AM

3,220 posts, read 3,746,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
This means the SEC was over rated, the top 3 of the B1G taken to lightly and the PAC 12 about where we thought they were, will probably finish with the best record of the power 5.
To say that TCU doesn't have an argument is silly. You can't tell me they wouldn't have a shot at beating any of the 4 playoff teams. Of course they have an argument that's why it's controversial and heavily debated. And why we need 8 teams in the playoff , but hallelujah the farce of the BCS is a bad memory now .
Yep.. The whole second half could be said for Baylor as well..

Old 01-02-2015, 10:23 AM

3,022 posts, read 4,535,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Did I call it, or did I call it?

I was a little surprised at the number of turnovers that FSU committed on offense, but I was not at all surprised with how easily the Ducks moved the ball on a defense that's nothing like the 2013 version of the Noles. The Noles were sloppy on defense all year long and expected to just turn it on on the big stage -- except that it doesn't work like that. By this time of year, you are who you are.

As for Ohio State, all I can say is that I knew going into that game they had a shot against Alabama. Bama just doesn't have the same kind of shut-down defense that their previous championship teams had. The games against LSU and Auburn were major clues that Bama might have some trouble in the finale this year. Alabama looked vulnerable throughout the year against teams that had a good offensive line and could throw down field. And while LSU wasn't really that good on offense, they pushed Bama around the field all night long, which was an indication that Bama's vaunted line strength was overrated. What was clear was that this year's Tide didn't own the line of scrimmage the way that they had before. Part of that is Alabama being slightly less talented, but a lot of that has to do with better recruiting by other programs around the country.

I'm sticking with my prediction in the title game, too. I think Ohio State will be, by far, the toughest opponent for the Ducks outside of Arizona, which somehow seemed to have their number. But I still like the Ducks. All this goes back to what I said a long time ago on another thread: Oregon's been preparing for this moment for a long time. Chip Kelly revolutionized the game a few years ago with his modern version of the pistol. The one problem that Oregon has had in previous years was that they just didn't have enough power to beat the elite teams off the football.

In case you didn't see it last night, those days are over. Oregon's gradually gotten bigger and bigger on the lines. They've also gotten more physical on defense. But even more worrisome, and what gets overlooked, is that Oregon has some really strong backs and receivers to complement their speed. Yes, Oregon's fast, but they're also physical. They're physical enough to bang with any team in the nation - Pac 12, Big 12, Big 10, ACC, or SEC. Doesn't matter. I think Ohio State puts up a good fight, but Oregon will make big plays and win the game. I'll keep the score about the same.
I should hire you and take you to Vegas....Amazing. If you call it right about the Natty, I will be a very happy Duck fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football