U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 02:10 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,610,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
I have never witnessed any Ohio St team ever showing fatigue. They have coaches that put the Buckeye players through heck on conditioning, strength etc.

Did you see Ohio St defensive line man handle a much bigger Alabama O line?

The hurry up offense is really all Oregon has as an advantage over Ohio St. Ohio St can run with them on speed. Ohio St has not played teams like this so Urban will be getting them ready I am sure.

My thought is Ohio St just beats Oregon up physically and that will drain them badly.
1 - Alabama's line strength isn't what it has been in previous years. That's no disrespect to Ohio State, which has a very deep roster, but just pointing out something that other teams that follow Alabama have seen this season.

2 - Oregon's not just fast; they are extremely physical on O-line. Oregon's offensive line is better than Alabama's, and being an LSU fan, I say that as someone who tends to be a little biased toward the Southeastern Conference. The only time Oregon lost was to Arizona when their O-line was banged up. We saw what happened once they got healthy again.

I think Ohio State can make this competitive, and if they execute a great ball-control game plan and don't commit turnovers, they might have a shot. In the end, though, I think Oregon's team speed on defense is what's going to turn this game in their favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 08:27 PM

328 posts, read 328,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
1 - Alabama's line strength isn't what it has been in previous years. That's no disrespect to Ohio State, which has a very deep roster, but just pointing out something that other teams that follow Alabama have seen this season.

2 - Oregon's not just fast; they are extremely physical on O-line. Oregon's offensive line is better than Alabama's, and being an LSU fan, I say that as someone who tends to be a little biased toward the Southeastern Conference. The only time Oregon lost was to Arizona when their O-line was banged up. We saw what happened once they got healthy again.

I think Ohio State can make this competitive, and if they execute a great ball-control game plan and don't commit turnovers, they might have a shot. In the end, though, I think Oregon's team speed on defense is what's going to turn this game in their favor.

Respect your thoughts but Ohio States O and D line are manhandling the Ducks.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:52 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
Yep; they dominated both sides of scrimmage line. 247 yards rushing for Elliott. Couldn't get better in three starts for Jones. OU was unstoppable except on mistakes. Nice to see OU lose that team that can't image. Couldn't have been any more wrong and we see why they beat Alabama in closer game.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:20 AM

I knew the Buckeyes offensive line would beat the Ducks defensive line, but I was counting on the Ducks to blitz a little earlier and more often than they did. I didn't think they'd actually bring down that freight train of a QB, but I figured they might be able to disrupt his timing the way they did with Winston. Didn't happen.

What I did NOT see coming was the OSU defense -- they played brilliantly. I don't think that they were all that much more powerful than Oregon's offensive line, but they were excellent in terms of how they spaced themselves and not getting out of position with Mariota.

The power running game and the deep ball were going to happen - there was no way Oregon was going to stop that. But Oregon did not have an answer for Ohio State's defensive scheme. Urban Meyer took Helfrich to school last night. Haven't seen a coach get taken to the tool shed like that since Nick Saban took Les Miles to the shed a few years back.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:36 AM

Final thoughts on College Football until next season.

Ohio State revealed an important truth last night that will reverberate throughout the game for a while: the really big college football programs will always have a chance to be competitive, whether they are in the South or not. They might not have the geographical leverage that Alabama or Florida would have, but they've got a massive network of alumni and boosters, and if they can land a guy who knows what to do with that network, it's on. About 70% of AT&T stadium was wearing red last night. That was a major show of strength, and it shows you that Ohio State can build a power any damn time it wants one.

That's not just limited to Ohio State, though. Oklahoma can do it. Texas can do it. Michigan can do it. Penn State can do it. USC can do it. All of those programs have history and prestige, but more than that, they've got tens of thousands of influential alumni with money and recruiting clout who can fund those athletic departments, pay ridiculous money for great coaches, and build those recruiting networks. USC might not be there now, but once someone like Bill O'Brien decides he's had enough of going 8-8 or 9-7 with the Texans, Pat Hayden will be on the phone non-stop and the Trojan empire will be back.

Unfortunately, teams like Oregon are probably going to have an uphill battle. They'll be competitive, and it certainly helps to have Phil Knight bankrolling the team. But they need more than just Knight's cash and Nike logos. They need the network of alumni who can really get out there and hustle for Oregon, and they don't have what USC has. In fact the same could be said of the entire Pac-12. Which team other than USC has won a national championship in the last half century? Washington? That was a split title and controversial at best, and they've not sniffed anything close to it since. None of this means Oregon or another Pac-12 school won't rise up and compete from time to time, but they're always going to be at a major disadvantage, and really, the PAC-12 is a conference that's basically just waiting for USC to represent it on the national stage again. I know that will probably p.o. a lot of Ducks fans, but they know it's the truth. The same could probably said of my school, LSU. Deep down inside, Tiger fans know that the SEC will always belong to Alabama and Florida. Sucks, but it's true.

And speaking of the SEC, if anything, the geographical advantage that its schools bank on might end up hurting the conference more than helping it. The emergence of recruiting throughout the entire SEC might end up weakening its chances to have a national champion. What SEC's top brass is really hoping for is less parity and more Alabama or Florida. As far as they're concerned, teams like LSU and Ole Miss are in the way. Again, sucks but true.

Changing gears --

We might have seen a major shift in team building philosophy last night as well. The major trend in the league over the past six seasons has been to adopt the Chip Kelly up-tempo offense. Lots of teams have wanted to compensate for lack of talent by trying to speed up the pace of the game, but I think that the trend has probably peaked. Ohio State presented another blue print last night: get big, physical guys who create mismatches. Power spread. I think we'll see more of the elite powers in college football such as Alabama, Florida State, and others bank on that style of play.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:22 AM

6,657 posts, read 6,425,671 times
^^^^
"Which team other than USC has won a national championship in the last half century? Washington? in the PAC-12"

Uhmmm Colorado, UCLA

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 01-13-2015 at 11:33 AM..

Old 01-13-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
^^^^
"Which team other than USC has won a national championship in the last half century? Washington? in the PAC-12"

Uhmmm Colorado, UCLA
Colorado was a Big 8/Big 12 school when that happened, and they've not had a sniff of success since McCartney was running that program.

UCLA?! When? It's USC, USC, and USC. Oh, and Washington in 1991, which was probably lucky not to have to play "The U"

USC *is* the PAC-12

Old 01-14-2015, 01:11 AM

6,657 posts, read 6,425,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Colorado was a Big 8/Big 12 school when that happened, and they've not had a sniff of success since McCartney was running that program.

UCLA?! When? It's USC, USC, and USC. Oh, and Washington in 1991, which was probably lucky not to have to play "The U"

USC *is* the PAC-12
Well obviously USC isn't the Pac 12, not anymore at least. Hmm the last i checked the Pac 12 went 5-3 in bowl games this year? How did SEC do?

Old 01-14-2015, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Well obviously USC isn't the Pac 12, not anymore at least. Hmm the last i checked the Pac 12 went 5-3 in bowl games this year? How did SEC do?
LOL, why change the subject?

But since you asked, I think they went 7-5 -- and they were a lot more competitive against the national champion than the PAC was.

Back on track, Oregon's obviously got a very good program - no question about it. But the reality is that they're strong now mainly because USC is weak. Once USC rebuilds its program - and I'm not sure that Sarkisian's the guy to to do it - Oregon's ability to compete for a national championship will be diminished.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:55 AM

328 posts, read 328,923 times
Hawaiian by Heart

Who is your favorite team and why did you not compete in the CD playoff picks?

West Coast and Texas teams along with Oklahoma etc will have a tough time recruiting better players as time goes by.

Texas, Oklahoma are programs going downhill fast with Baylor and TCU reaping the benefits.
USC will be back, UCLA is getting better and Oregon purchased players to come to Oregon and it failed.
The money Oregon probably put under the table to get those fake track stars was wasted.

SEC won 7 of what 12 National Championships? It was not by mistake.

I have witnessed SEC games in person and until you see one in person you cannot even talk about the SEC. It is amazing to see the atmosphere in those stadiums.

I have watched west coast and Texas teams play, not exciting, actually boring atmosphere.

The best football teams are on the east coast period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football