U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 06:55 PM

2,943 posts, read 2,387,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
This can easily be explained away when not only Oregon but most of their opponents play a super cupcake (Colorado 0-9). Everybody had their way with them so everybody improves.
First of all I was comparing offenses, throughout each teams entire schedules (minus the FCS teams) not the teams as a whole (we were trying to determine who has the best Defense and have a good defense is dependent on how strong of an offense the team you are playing has). Colorado is terrible because they have the #113 best defense in the country (in terms of yards allowed per game), allowing 461 yards per game. Also Colorado (#42 in the country) was the 7th best OFFENSE Oregon's DEFENSE played. Florida State's 7th best offensive opponent was Boston College (#79 in the country).

Also it is interesting to note Oregon Obliterated Colorado 44-10, while Florida State struggled against Boston College winning 20-17 (Granted Boston college has a much better Defense than Colorado but they have a worse offense and Florida State gave up 7 more points to that worse offense).

Also not that it matters but if your going to call Colorado a cupcake what do you call Wake Forest and Syracuse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 07:11 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,261,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
First of all I was comparing offenses, throughout each teams entire schedules (minus the FCS teams) not the teams as a whole (we were trying to determine who has the best Defense and have a good defense is dependent on how strong of an offense the team you are playing has). Colorado is terrible because they have the #113 best defense in the country (in terms of yards allowed per game), allowing 461 yards per game. Also Colorado (#42 in the country) was the 7th best OFFENSE Oregon's DEFENSE played. Florida State's 7th best offensive opponent was Boston College (#79 in the country).

Also it is interesting to note Oregon Obliterated Colorado 44-10, while Florida State struggled against Boston College winning 20-17 (Granted Boston college has a much better Defense than Colorado but they have a worse offense and Florida State gave up 7 more points to that worse offense).

Also not that it matters but if your going to call Colorado a cupcake what do you call Wake Forest and Syracuse?
Oh I won't argue that, Wake Forest and Syracuse are as cupcake as it gets. Comparing Boston College to Colorado is apples and oranges though, BC is a 7-5 team. I'm going to defend the Noles, I believe they can not only hang with Oregon, I think they can flat out beat them. I certainly don't see Oregon clobbering them.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
Oh I won't argue that, Wake Forest and Syracuse are as cupcake as it gets. Comparing Boston College to Colorado is apples and oranges though, BC is a 7-5 team. I'm going to defend the Noles, I believe they can not only hang with Oregon, I think they can flat out beat them. I certainly don't see Oregon clobbering them.
I agree. I wasn't comparing teams as a whole. I was looking at the team offenses that FSU and Oregon played, nothing more. Oregon and FSU offensively are probably evenly matched (as long as Jamis Winston doesn't throw 4 interceptions ). I can see Oregon beating FSU 45-20

Old 12-09-2014, 08:41 AM

5,417 posts, read 7,727,656 times
Quote:
I agree. I wasn't comparing teams as a whole. I was looking at the team offenses that FSU and Oregon played, nothing more. Oregon and FSU offensively are probably evenly matched (as long as Jamis Winston doesn't throw 4 interceptions ). I can see Oregon beating FSU 45-20
Sure, Oregon looks better on paper/eye test, but don't sell Florida St. short, they've got some elite athletes...a few big plays and it's a game.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:08 AM

9,984 posts, read 6,784,692 times
my prediction is thus:

- Alabama 27, Ohio State 13
- Oregon 35, Florida State 24
- Oregon 34, Alabama 27

Old 12-09-2014, 11:18 AM

14,615 posts, read 22,473,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
...As far as opponents go: FSU has allowed 299 points scored against them, Oregon has allowed 292, this will be an interesting game. Go Ducks
Yeah, but FSU has actually played somebody while proving time and time again that they can win the close ones AND come from behind.

Now, can FSU beat Bama? I think this is what we shall soon see.
Quote:
Oregon Opponents offense:
Removing FCS team ...
Yeah. So you're gonna leave in the stats against Colorado and Wyoming?

:rotfflmfao:!

Old 12-09-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Yeah, but FSU has actually played somebody while proving time and time again that they can win the close ones AND come from behind.

Now, can FSU beat Bama? I think this is what we shall soon see.

Yeah. So you're gonna leave in the stats against Colorado and Wyoming?

:rotfflmfao:!
I don't know how many times I have to say this. I wasn't looking at the teams as a whole I was just looking at the offenses the defenses of FSU and Oregon were playing. Yes Colorado and Wyoming are weak teams overall but that makes no difference in the stats I was pulling up and the point I was illustrating. Also your acting like FSU didn't play a "Colorado" and a "Wyoming" team, see Wake Forest and Syracuse.

Quote:
they can win the close ones AND come from behind.
Yeah they can and did win close ones and won games after being behind, against teams that they shouldn't have been behind or made close games of. Close games that shouldn't have been close (or games where they had to come back from a deficit): See NC State, a Notre dame team that finished 7-5 whose best win was against a currently unranked Stanford (by 3), Miami (FL), Boston College, and Florida.

Last edited by JohKnip; 12-09-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 12-09-2014, 03:14 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,617,676 times
I think people tend to take stats too seriously. You can't just look at the yards per game or points per game; it's how they do against the types of teams that they've played. It's about who they've played.

Oregon has given up points but against pass-happy teams that have built passing machine type offenses. Oregon's defense will, to a certain extent, live with giving up points. But they've been a lot more physical on defense this year, and particularly in the second half. They've shown the ability to tighten up and shut teams down. FSU has shown a tendency to give up lots of points and then they expect the offense to bail them out. You can get away with trailing 21-7 to Louisville or Notre Dame. Put that kind of effort up against Oregon in a first half and they'll go in at halftime down 35-7 or worse.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:20 PM

11,787 posts, read 13,408,723 times
Either we have poles or we don't. People like to talk about sports, so I think some us are being hypocritical when they crticise the committee for introducing their rankings a few weeks ago instead of just waiting until the end. Why not just do away with them all until the end.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Either we have poles or we don't. People like to talk about sports, so I think some us are being hypocritical when they crticise the committee for introducing their rankings a few weeks ago instead of just waiting until the end. Why not just do away with them all until the end.
That would be ideal in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football