U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 05:20 PM

27,454 posts, read 15,849,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
Oh I won't argue that, Wake Forest and Syracuse are as cupcake as it gets. Comparing Boston College to Colorado is apples and oranges though, BC is a 7-5 team. I'm going to defend the Noles, I believe they can not only hang with Oregon, I think they can flat out beat them. I certainly don't see Oregon clobbering them.
That is FSU can pull yet another comeback out. The last several weeks I have watched FSU games or watched the points on the ticker, FSU had trailed by at least a possession if not more. I don't see Oregon being as lackadaisical, especially in a qualifier semi-final like this game is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 06:21 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,260,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That is FSU can pull yet another comeback out. The last several weeks I have watched FSU games or watched the points on the ticker, FSU had trailed by at least a possession if not more. I don't see Oregon being as lackadaisical, especially in a qualifier semi-final like this game is.
Oh I agree, FSU better not get down like they did against Louisville. I'd actually prefer FSU to be down a little to Oregon at half, but by no more than 10. I was on a chat thread during the ACC Championship and some of us FSU fans were concerned that the Noles actually had a lead at half, like this ain't cool it's uncharted territory... but there's a limit to it.

Most of FSU's problems getting down early this season are a direct result of Winston's bad decisions. The way Dalvin Cook is running now I hope Jimbo comes out and tries to run it, but he probably wont.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:40 PM

2,943 posts, read 2,386,737 times
Quote:
Oh I agree, FSU better not get down like they did against Louisville. I'd actually prefer FSU to be down a little to Oregon at half, but by no more than 10. I was on a chat thread during the ACC Championship and some of us FSU fans were concerned that the Noles actually had a lead at half, like this ain't cool it's uncharted territory... but there's a limit to it.

Most of FSU's problems getting down early this season are a direct result of Winston's bad decisions. The way Dalvin Cook is running now I hope Jimbo comes out and tries to run it, but he probably wont.
I definitely wouldn't. Oregon is number 3 in the country in terms of average points scored per game and they played Stanford (a team that is number 2 in the country in terms of average points allowed per game) and they put 45 points on that team (also Stanford has had Oregon's number the previous couple years). The only game of the year that FSU scored 45+ points was against NC State.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:09 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,616,458 times
Quote:

I agree with the idea of running the football against Oregon. If FSU can run the ball well, they can slow the pace of the game down, which is what successful teams usually are able to do to varying degrees. The way that Oregon plays, they like to get ahead by multiple scores and keep the pressure on defenses to spread around the field. On defense, they try to put opposing teams into situations that are more predictable, so that they can use their speed at the LB and DB positions to shut down the passing game. That's why a team like Alabama, with their lightning and thunder (Yeldon and Henry) would be more problematic for Oregon than FSU, provided they don't turn the ball over.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:54 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,260,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I agree with the idea of running the football against Oregon. If FSU can run the ball well, they can slow the pace of the game down, which is what successful teams usually are able to do to varying degrees. The way that Oregon plays, they like to get ahead by multiple scores and keep the pressure on defenses to spread around the field. On defense, they try to put opposing teams into situations that are more predictable, so that they can use their speed at the LB and DB positions to shut down the passing game. That's why a team like Alabama, with their lightning and thunder (Yeldon and Henry) would be more problematic for Oregon than FSU, provided they don't turn the ball over.
FSU has a running game now. Freshman Dalvin Cook has stepped it up big time. No one heard much about Cook at the beginning of the season, he got hurt in spring but they're using him more now. He scored the game winners against Louisville and Miami, he just ran for 144 yards and accounted for 56% of FSU's offense against Georgia Tech.

On a side note FSU's Nick O Leary just won the Mackey Award for the nations most outstanding tight end.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:38 PM

225 posts, read 442,542 times
One of the biggest problems I have with Division 1 college football is the playoff from the championship is to long of a layoff. I know it gives all of the teams a chance to rest but its the only sport that has such a long layoff. I think it benefits FSU against Oregon to prepare for that up tempo offense.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:41 PM

11,787 posts, read 13,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico020 View Post
One of the biggest problems I have with Division 1 college football is the playoff from the championship is to long of a layoff. I know it gives all of the teams a chance to rest but its the only sport that has such a long layoff. I think it benefits FSU against Oregon to prepare for that up tempo offense.
It is a lot shorter now. The gap between last weekender and the the playoff is shorter then it would be if we just had one game to go. But I get what you are saying.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:53 PM

328 posts, read 329,752 times
Going to be tough to predict these games but here we go.

Ohio State 40
Alabama 34

Oregon 37
Fla St 36

Everyone predicted a couple years back that a high powered NFL loaded Oregon team would destroy Ohio St and Ohio St slapped them around like biddy league players.

Many really good bowl matchups this year.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:38 PM

27,454 posts, read 15,849,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico020 View Post
The issue is finals week (athletes have to partake in that even if they goto UNC) as well as the holidays which is I doubt you'll see any more than a four team playoff for the title.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:54 PM

2,943 posts, read 2,386,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
Going to be tough to predict these games but here we go.

Ohio State 40
Alabama 34

Oregon 37
Fla St 36

Everyone predicted a couple years back that a high powered NFL loaded Oregon team would destroy Ohio St and Ohio St slapped them around like biddy league players.

Many really good bowl matchups this year.
LOL! There is no way...no way OSU beat Alabama (and I am far from an Alabama fan saying this).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football