U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 09:32 PM

2,943 posts, read 2,383,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
And you forgot they had a brand new freshman QB and 4 other startes not playing that game.

Had Braxton Miller played they would be No 1 and undefeated.

Then Barrett goes on to the one of the best players in the country.

Baylor lost to who? West Virgina I believe. With a full starting lineup.
Quote:
Baylor lost to who? West Virgina I believe. With a full starting lineup.
I haven't argued for Baylor to be included in the college playoffs so I don't know why you are bringing them up. Also WVU lost to much better teams than VaTech (making WVU a better team than VaTech).

WVU lost to: #2 Alabama, #4 Oklahoma, #7 TCU, at Texas (team that was getting better towards the end of the year), and # 12 Kansas State.

VaTech lost to: East Carolina, GaTech, Pittsburgh, Miami (FL), Boston College, and Wake Forest (in double overtime 6-3 LMAO )

Quote:
And you forgot they had a brand new freshman QB and 4 other startes not playing that game.
They had a brand new 3rd string QB coming into a game against what was supposedly the best D in the big 10 (LOL). So your telling me it is a fluke when it doesn't turn out OSU's way and when it does "Look how great OSU is"? Did VaTech have a perfectly healthy team? Another thing to recognize. This was played @OSU and they lost by two touchdowns. This is against a team that didn't score against Wake Forest in regulation. I can understand this happening if J.T. was a terrible QB but he wasn't. I could understand if they were missing half their team but they weren't they were missing 4 starters as you say (who were those 4 btw?). The whole big ten and OSU is one big mess. I'd be surprised if OSU scores more than 21 against Alabama's D and I'd be equally surprised if OSU's D holds Alabama's offense to less that 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 11:56 PM

328 posts, read 329,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I haven't argued for Baylor to be included in the college playoffs so I don't know why you are bringing them up. Also WVU lost to much better teams than VaTech (making WVU a better team than VaTech).

WVU lost to: #2 Alabama, #4 Oklahoma, #7 TCU, at Texas (team that was getting better towards the end of the year), and # 12 Kansas State.

VaTech lost to: East Carolina, GaTech, Pittsburgh, Miami (FL), Boston College, and Wake Forest (in double overtime 6-3 LMAO )

They had a brand new 3rd string QB coming into a game against what was supposedly the best D in the big 10 (LOL). So your telling me it is a fluke when it doesn't turn out OSU's way and when it does "Look how great OSU is"? Did VaTech have a perfectly healthy team? Another thing to recognize. This was played @OSU and they lost by two touchdowns. This is against a team that didn't score against Wake Forest in regulation. I can understand this happening if J.T. was a terrible QB but he wasn't. I could understand if they were missing half their team but they weren't they were missing 4 starters as you say (who were those 4 btw?). The whole big ten and OSU is one big mess. I'd be surprised if OSU scores more than 21 against Alabama's D and I'd be equally surprised if OSU's D holds Alabama's offense to less that 30.

Again, Ohio St was playing with a freshman QB and missing 5 starters for that game. Had it been one more week Ohio St would have crushed them badly. Then Barrett goes on to finish in the top 5 for the Heisman.

Big 10 is a mess? How?

Does not matter if they lost a game or not, they are in the playoffs. Win or lose they are one of the top 4 best teams in the nation period and have come a long way from Tressel leaving the team without any good players or recruits.

Keep your eyes on Ohio St. They have an amazing RB in Elliot who will emerge as a highly talked about player next year. They are young and the recruits are coming in.

Be prepared.

Win or lose, they are still one of the 4 best period. Even when most ESPN haters said they would not win 7 games without Braxton Miller.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:58 AM

27,387 posts, read 15,811,432 times
Had the Big 12 had named Baylor champ and not co-champ, they MAY have had a better chance of being in the tournament. They weren't though so we can't think of the what ifs because there's 12 to 13 games worth of it for EVERY TEAM and these what ifs might not have done anything.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:51 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,612,202 times
I'm normally a Buckeye skeptic, but this is the best Buckeye team that I've seen since their BCS title contender days from 2002 to just before 2006. I'm not predicting a championship yet, but they're back to being competitive. I wouldn't be surprised if Alabama were to win, but I'd be surprised if Alabama shoved them around the way they did to Notre Dame, LSU, and Texas in their previous BCS bowls. The Buckeyes are more physical than I gave them credit for - they've got athletes now. I think the rest of the elite teams in other conferences have closed the talent/athlete gap between them and the SEC.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:53 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,856,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I'm normally a Buckeye skeptic, but this is the best Buckeye team that I've seen since their BCS title contender days from 2002 to just before 2006. I'm not predicting a championship yet, but they're back to being competitive. I wouldn't be surprised if Alabama were to win, but I'd be surprised if Alabama shoved them around the way they did to Notre Dame, LSU, and Texas in their previous BCS bowls. The Buckeyes are more physical than I gave them credit for - they've got athletes now. I think the rest of the elite teams in other conferences have closed the talent/athlete gap between them and the SEC.
Bucknuts gonna get rolled by 21+.

lol. Bama didn't really shove texas around. And bama is known to lay eggs in big games. Bucknuts are certainly better than Utah, and if last years OU team can beat the **** out of bama I'm sure the Bucknuts can too. I just don't see it with a 3rd string QB. Unless Meyer is that bad of an evaluator of talent that his 3rd string QB is the best one on the squad. Wouldn't suprise me if that were the case.

Lol maybe Bucknuts gonna roll by 21. Yeah. I don't care either way.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:18 PM

11,787 posts, read 13,380,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
And bama is known to lay eggs in big games.
In what alternate universe is this *known*?

So Utah and Oklahoma trumps 3 national championships and a 49-7 beating of Michigan State?

Ha.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:04 PM

32,501 posts, read 26,381,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Alabama vs. Ohio State -- This is hard to pick because nobody knows just how good the Buckeyes really are at this point. But when I look at the videotape highlights of some recent games, it's pretty clear that while Alabama's got recent history on its side, this is a winnable game for OSU. Alabama's defense in 2011 and 2012 was strong at every position, but since last year, they've been a lot more vulnerable in the secondary. Auburn exposed them with the deep ball on at least three or four different occasions in the Iron Bowl game. By that same token, Ohio State's "third string" quarterback was masterful in throwing the deep route. That's not a good combination for Alabama. Ohio State's consistently been putting up points on almost anyone. Of course they've given up some as well. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict a second consecutive Superdome loss for the Tide. Ohio State 38, Alabama 35.

Oregon vs. FSU -- This game is a little easier to predict. I think FSU's had a remarkable run the last two years, and they deserve to play in this game, but Oregon's going to send them packing. I don't doubt FSU's ability to put up points against Oregon, but they won't be able to keep up with Oregon's offense, and the Noles defense hasn't shown any signs of improvement in recent weeks. If they're waiting to flip the switch, Oregon's absolutely the last team they want to face. Oregon 49 FSU 28.

Assuming things unfold as above, that would leave Oregon against Ohio State. I think the Big Ten got a taste of what Oregon has to offer earlier this year, and I don't think the outcome would be much different. Ohio State's never played a team quite like Oregon, and it's really hard to get used to the pace that the Ducks bring. And unlike 2009 when the two played in the Rose Bowl, Oregon's offensive line would match up well against the Buckeyes this time. Oregon 31 Ohio State 27. Oregon wins its first national championship.
i think bama will beat the buckeyes, and by the same margin that you predict.

and that makes it alabama vs oregon in the championship game, and i think oregon wins that one as well. and i think it will be a fourth quarter win as i think bamas defense will be sucking air midway through while the oregon offense is hitting their stride. in this case, oregon 42 alabama 31.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:49 AM

2,943 posts, read 2,383,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i think bama will beat the buckeyes, and by the same margin that you predict.

and that makes it alabama vs oregon in the championship game, and i think oregon wins that one as well. and i think it will be a fourth quarter win as i think bamas defense will be sucking air midway through while the oregon offense is hitting their stride. in this case, oregon 42 alabama 31.
I agree with what you have said here. But I think the Oregon-Alabama game is closer say 42-38

Old 12-19-2014, 08:17 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,258,616 times
Not like Winston needs any help to shred the Ducks D but Oregon's first team All American Senior cornerback injured in practice, out for playoffs.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:46 AM

32,501 posts, read 26,381,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
Not like Winston needs any help to shred the Ducks D but Oregon's first team All American Senior cornerback injured in practice, out for playoffs.
you mean the same ducks defense that shut down arizona, and held them to 224 total yards, 113 passing, and 10 first downs in the last game? the same ducks defense that has been doing that to teams all year long? one corner back does not make oregons defense, but shut down winston, and the florida state offense tends to collapse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football