U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 11:55 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,614,812 times

Advertisements

Alabama vs. Ohio State -- This is hard to pick because nobody knows just how good the Buckeyes really are at this point. But when I look at the videotape highlights of some recent games, it's pretty clear that while Alabama's got recent history on its side, this is a winnable game for OSU. Alabama's defense in 2011 and 2012 was strong at every position, but since last year, they've been a lot more vulnerable in the secondary. Auburn exposed them with the deep ball on at least three or four different occasions in the Iron Bowl game. By that same token, Ohio State's "third string" quarterback was masterful in throwing the deep route. That's not a good combination for Alabama. Ohio State's consistently been putting up points on almost anyone. Of course they've given up some as well. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict a second consecutive Superdome loss for the Tide. Ohio State 38, Alabama 35.

Oregon vs. FSU -- This game is a little easier to predict. I think FSU's had a remarkable run the last two years, and they deserve to play in this game, but Oregon's going to send them packing. I don't doubt FSU's ability to put up points against Oregon, but they won't be able to keep up with Oregon's offense, and the Noles defense hasn't shown any signs of improvement in recent weeks. If they're waiting to flip the switch, Oregon's absolutely the last team they want to face. Oregon 49 FSU 28.

Assuming things unfold as above, that would leave Oregon against Ohio State. I think the Big Ten got a taste of what Oregon has to offer earlier this year, and I don't think the outcome would be much different. Ohio State's never played a team quite like Oregon, and it's really hard to get used to the pace that the Ducks bring. And unlike 2009 when the two played in the Rose Bowl, Oregon's offensive line would match up well against the Buckeyes this time. Oregon 31 Ohio State 27. Oregon wins its first national championship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 12:22 PM

1,367 posts, read 2,920,220 times
I agree on your statement about nobody knowing how good the Buckeyes really are. That's making this pick very tough for me. I'm gonna go ahead and say Alabama wins 24-21. However, I wouldn't be shocked if Ohio St. pulled off the upset.

FSU vs.Oregon seems much easier for me to pick a winner of as well. Ducks take this 35-21. With the Noles winning game after game by the skin of their teeth for so long against some good and some not so good teams, they're about to take on a monster that could potentially destroy them.

If it comes down to this, Alabama vs. Oregon, it will be a game of the century. My head tells me the Ducks take it, my heart tells me the Tide will. Gonna go with Alabama 31-30.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:35 PM

27,432 posts, read 15,833,777 times
I would love and hope that Ohio State and Oregon crush Bama and FSU in the qualifiers. Bama I don't like due to Sabin, he'd sell a team out for a nickle and I LOVE to see him taken down a peg like he has the last few years. FSU I don't like because of Winston, with the stunts he pulled had he not been the star QB, he would have been tossed out by now. I think both games will be close but I just want to see Sabin whine and b*tch about the new system because his team would have gone one and done.

Between OSU and the Ducks, I think I'll go OSU 30-27.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
I agree on your statement about nobody knowing how good the Buckeyes really are. That's making this pick very tough for me. I'm gonna go ahead and say Alabama wins 24-21. However, I wouldn't be shocked if Ohio St. pulled off the upset.
The thing that gives me pause in taking the Buckeyes over Alabama is the coaching of Nick Saban. Give him several weeks to prepare, and he will break down just about every weakness in an opponent and have his team prepared for it. There have been some obvious exceptions to that rule - Oklahoma in last year's Sugar Bowl, for example. But on the whole, there is nobody better at using extended time to prepare. The problem I see for the Tide is their secondary. They're going to have to find ways to get after the Ohio State QB. Wisconsin couldn't put up points against OSU, but I don't think that will repeat itself - Bama will put up points. The question is whether they will be able to stop OSU. If they can dominate the line, then the answer is yes, but I don't think they will dominate the line. LSU actually pushed Bama's line all over the field and would have won that game had it not been for the stupidity of the Tiger's punter and Les Miles ridiculously conservative coaching. Alabama beats teams they're supposed to beat. But unlike years' past, their talent level and depth aren't head and shoulders above the competition anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
FSU vs.Oregon seems much easier for me to pick a winner of as well. Ducks take this 35-21. With the Noles winning game after game by the skin of their teeth for so long against some good and some not so good teams, they're about to take on a monster that could potentially destroy them.
I think Florida State will score, but they're not going to stop the Ducks' quack attack. They've not shut out a single opponent all year and they've had trouble keeping even mediocre teams under 20 points. It's possible that the Noles just don't take their opponents that seriously and think they can just turn it on against the first real foe they face, and some of the games this year seem to indicate just that. The 2nd half is when the real Noles seem to show up. The problem is, nothing they've faced this year has prepared them for what they're about to go up against. They can watch the Ducks on tape all they want; they don't practice at that speed, and nobody in their conference plays anywhere close to the speed of the Ducks. And even if someone did, they don't play it at that level. I think the Ducks are going to smoke 'em.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:56 PM

72,114 posts, read 83,802,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I would love and hope that Ohio State and Oregon crush Bama and FSU in the qualifiers. Bama I don't like due to Sabin, he'd sell a team out for a nickle and I LOVE to see him taken down a peg like he has the last few years. FSU I don't like because of Winston, with the stunts he pulled had he not been the star QB, he would have been tossed out by now. I think both games will be close but I just want to see Sabin whine and b*tch about the new system because his team would have gone one and done.

I can certainly agree with you on that one. of course I want Oregan to take the whole thing. I have never been a huge Ohio State fan, since the olden days of the pac 10. I was born and raised in S. California and learned very young, the only 2 teams that deserve to win were USC and UCLA> Bama is anything but at the top of my list, being a true Hogs fan and I have never liked Fl. State.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

I think Saban would have done fine, with or without the new system. The main difference is that recruiting has gradually evened out and there is more parity right now than there has been in years' past. There's parity in his own conference, and even teams from outside the conference are doing better at recruiting in the fertile Gulf Coast territory. And then you have programs like Oregon and Ohio State that are putting together good recruiting programs of their own over a much wider geographical area. Alabama's talent is still good, but they're not dominant anymore.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:53 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,259,760 times
It's Ohio St against the SEC, enough said.
Oregon vs FSU. This going to be interesting but the key here is a halfway decent QB (Mariotta), which makes the Ducks very one dimensional vs a loaded FSU team with multiple weapons. Oregon's defense has not remotely faced any team this year stacked with playmakers like FSU has. Dalvin Cook is a beast and getting better every game, O Leary and Green are well on their way to Sunday afternoon work. Among other problems Oregon is going to have, dealing with FSU's defense will prove to be frustrating especially with the suspect Duck offensive line. It's been proven over and over the Nole defense will bend, but they won't break and the more critical the drive, the more neccessary the 3rd down conversion, the more the Nole defense steps up and shuts it down.

It'll probably be a close one but if the Ducks come out flat like they did against Arizona, Jameis will make them pay and it could get away from them. FSU 45 Oregon 24

Then FSU 31 Bama 21

Old 12-07-2014, 01:59 PM

2,943 posts, read 2,385,786 times
I don't like predicting actual game scores but this is what I think:

Alabama Beats Ohio State without to much trouble

Oregon Beats Florida State Easily

Alabama vs Oregon I think is a toss up. I'd be rooting for Oregon in this situation and I think I would end up being a shoot out similar to the Alabama-Auburn game but I have more confidence that Oregon's offense will prevail (I see Oregon's offense better than Auburns [more balanced I think]) and I think Oregon can get some stops with their defense (SOME not many).

Old 12-08-2014, 09:32 AM

2,890 posts, read 4,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
It's Ohio St against the SEC, enough said.
Oregon vs FSU. This going to be interesting but the key here is a halfway decent QB (Mariotta), which makes the Ducks very one dimensional vs a loaded FSU team with multiple weapons. Oregon's defense has not remotely faced any team this year stacked with playmakers like FSU has. Dalvin Cook is a beast and getting better every game, O Leary and Green are well on their way to Sunday afternoon work. Among other problems Oregon is going to have, dealing with FSU's defense will prove to be frustrating especially with the suspect Duck offensive line. It's been proven over and over the Nole defense will bend, but they won't break and the more critical the drive, the more neccessary the 3rd down conversion, the more the Nole defense steps up and shuts it down.

It'll probably be a close one but if the Ducks come out flat like they did against Arizona, Jameis will make them pay and it could get away from them. FSU 45 Oregon 24

Then FSU 31 Bama 21

I don't know what Oregon team your quoting here, but you might want to go back and look at the games they have played. There only loss was to Arizona, then they went back and beat Arizona in the Pac 12 Championship game by 51-13. Oregon has played some very good defensive teams, Stanford, Michigan, UCLA and Utah and the out come of these game were not even close, Oregon won by an average of 20 points. FSU had better bring its "A" game to the Rose Bowl because they will be facing a team that plays a full 60 minutes of flat out football. This will be the first time this year that FSU will face a team with the depth that Oregon brings. They have most likely the best quarterback in the country who not only can beat you with his arm but also has legs to match. It's going to be a good game, but you have the score backwards. By the end of the first half it will be Oregon 35 FSU 14, the end score, Oregon 47 FSU 21

Old 12-08-2014, 10:23 AM

771 posts, read 1,211,149 times
I think both Alabama and Oregon will win their semifinals and I think Oregon will then beat Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football