U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 04:15 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,708,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
i would add UofH to expand the BigX(II) to the Houston market. beyond that a quality non-Texas school (I've heard before that the out of state schools dont want any more Texas schools added in an expansion).
Actually it would be the Texas schools who would desire a Houston addition least. Bringing another Texas school into the conference would certainly further dilute recruiting, especially for Tejas, Tech, Baylor, TCU, and then the Oklahoma schools. Oklahoma State, in particular, has recruited Houston very well the last several years.

A&M and the SEC are making significant inroads into the Houston market too.

As for the OP's question, the guys here on Sports Radio in Oklahoma are really pushing for Notre Dame. (I personally think ND is all but locked up in the ACC, but we'll see.) Perhaps that is who Boren is wanting or maybe he is hoping to make another push for some combination of the following state schools: Arkansas, A&M, LSU, Missouri, and Nebraska. Of the schools listed I think that Arkansas and Missouri are the most likely to jump (which is highly UNLIKELY) and then A&M and then Nebraska. The folks here in Oklahoma are really wanting LSU but that is even more of a pipe dream. Ain't happening.

If (and that's a huge IF and very unlikely) the Big XII could lure Notre Dame to join the conference then adding Cincy wouldn't be so bad as a tag-along. Just having two lower tier programs like Cincy/UCF would really be hard for the leaders of the Big XII to swallow (they may have no choice though!).

And those of you thinking BYU, I'm guessing not. The Big XII administration has constantly held firm that if expansion happens it will be East. However, I personally wouldn't be opposed to a ND/BYU addition. Just don't see it happening.

Boren and OU are very influential. If OU doesn't see some pretty major success here in the next three years or so I'm guessing Boren will have to swallow his pride and go where the money and the real football is at: the SEC West. I could also see a PACSouth invitation with the Texas state schools and Oklahoma State. The B1G seems like the least likely, although I'm guessing Boren (as a statesman and academician) would love a B1G invite because of the academic perception. That way Boren/OU wouldn't have to be associated with the negative stuff from the South (although that's kind of a laughable position considering Oklahoma, like most of Texas, is a Southern state culturally.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 08:42 AM

269 posts, read 348,572 times
Ecu

Old 07-28-2015, 09:51 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,981,261 times
Quote:
i would add UofH to expand the BigX(II) to the Houston market. beyond that a quality non-Texas school (I've heard before that the out of state schools dont want any more Texas schools added in an expansion).
They already have the Houston market. The other Texas schools already bring Houston into its footprint.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:44 PM

3,379 posts, read 6,597,549 times
UH brings the most potential. Lots of folks would come out to see SWC rivalries renewed. It was standing room only when UH beat Tech in '09. And that wasn't even the evil empire UT or ATM. Don't forget UH is 2-1 vs OSU since 2006 UH has a home and home (sort of) with OU starting in 2016. Rumor is the OU AD favors UH. Again it is because of potential. If you don't believe that, then just look at the achievements of the current head football coach at UH.

UH 2015 is way, way different from UH in the SWC days in terms of the campus, the academics, the on-campus student body, etc.

The flip side is that many older UH alumni want nothing to to with UT for historical reasons. So there's that...

Old 08-02-2015, 03:48 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
This is the first I've heard of UH being wanted by OU and I don't see the benefit either. If UH comes in the big 12, it's basically the SWC redux. I don't think the other Texas schools want it though. But if OU leaves, the conference is done, period. What does UH bring? They already have the Houston market. They really didn't need TCU either as they already had the DFW market.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:56 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
So what you are saying is............if the Big XII crumbles and Kansas begs for an invite then the B1G might consider it. Which is what I said using different words in the post you responded to.
Not necessarily. If the B1G realizes that Texas and/or OU are available even without the big XII yet to crumble, KU can be the bait or the carrot to tag them along. KU is decent academic school and they are a member of the AAU which the B1G covets schools with that association. They have a top notch basketball program and would easily become one of the best historical programs if not the best in the B1G (keep in mind I realize football is what moves the meter but KU basketball is too big to ignore). It would be put the B1G at the least, the 2nd best conference behind the ACC if not the best if KU is added. Two things that hurts KU are that it is in a small populated state and their football program is woeful.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:22 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,884,064 times
BYU - name brand, Utah footprint, usually successful team, academics, pushes Big 12 a little further West.

UCF - good fanbase for its size, access to the lucrative Florida footprint. Heck, I'd argue being able to set up shop in Florida would be reason #1 to add UCF.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:57 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,708,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
BYU - name brand, Utah footprint, usually successful team, academics, pushes Big 12 a little further West.

UCF - good fanbase for its size, access to the lucrative Florida footprint. Heck, I'd argue being able to set up shop in Florida would be reason #1 to add UCF.
If the Big XII is left out of the Playoff again then BYU might get a call. However, I've heard several national sports commentators say that the Big XII will be given a little mercy and wiggle room this year because of being left out last year. We'll see.

I think expansion only happens if the Big XII is left out, which isn't very likely.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:42 PM

397 posts, read 307,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
If the Big XII is left out of the Playoff again then BYU might get a call. However, I've heard several national sports commentators say that the Big XII will be given a little mercy and wiggle room this year because of being left out last year. We'll see.

I think expansion only happens if the Big XII is left out, which isn't very likely.
I doubt that this will be the case. Even a hint of that being the case would set a dangerous precedent that the committee would certainly want to avoid.

In any case, the Big XII shouldn't need help getting in. Baylor has yet to be tested, but they have teeth. Most importantly, the ACC and SEC both appear to have their troubles this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or