U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 07:38 PM

1,459 posts, read 2,873,690 times

Advertisements

On when conference realignment forum I frequent, all they talk about is carving up the Big 12 to get down to 4 major conferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 10:19 AM

1,172 posts, read 1,457,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Exactly. Ain't happening. Big XII struckout big time on Ville. Thanks Big XII leadership for very poor leadership and reactive tendencies rather than be proactive.
WVU and Louisville are at least within driving distance of each other, so it would make sense that they were traveling partners (or at least conference mates). I'm guessing what's more likely (not saying it will happen for sure) is that WVU gets tired of having to travel hundreds (if not over 1K) of miles for each conference game, and bolts for the ACC where several schools are within a reasonable driving distance.

That said, there's three truly stable conferences and that's the B1G, the SEC, and the PAC. Nobody's leaving those conferences (at least on their own accord) and there's other schools that want in one of those three. The ACC is trying to achieve the other three conferences' stability, but the loss of UMD still stings. And the Big 12 may well be on its last legs. Texas could go independent, and Tech and the Oklahoma schools could probably find a home either in the PAC or the SEC, and WVU could easily land in the ACC, but the other schools might have more difficulty finding a spot at one of the big boy tables. Iowa State and the Kansas schools would be very, very lucky to sniff a Big Ten invitation (Mtn West perhaps) and Baylor and TCU would probably be AAC (former Big East) material.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:22 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,960,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
WVU and Louisville are at least within driving distance of each other, so it would make sense that they were traveling partners (or at least conference mates). I'm guessing what's more likely (not saying it will happen for sure) is that WVU gets tired of having to travel hundreds (if not over 1K) of miles for each conference game, and bolts for the ACC where several schools are within a reasonable driving distance.

That said, there's three truly stable conferences and that's the B1G, the SEC, and the PAC. Nobody's leaving those conferences (at least on their own accord) and there's other schools that want in one of those three. The ACC is trying to achieve the other three conferences' stability, but the loss of UMD still stings. And the Big 12 may well be on its last legs. Texas could go independent, and Tech and the Oklahoma schools could probably find a home either in the PAC or the SEC, and WVU could easily land in the ACC, but the other schools might have more difficulty finding a spot at one of the big boy tables. Iowa State and the Kansas schools would be very, very lucky to sniff a Big Ten invitation (Mtn West perhaps) and Baylor and TCU would probably be AAC (former Big East) material.
The ACC losing Maryland was an anomaly. The university president wanted Maryland in the B1G and pressured everyone else into approving the move. The fans and students definitely were against it. The ACC has already rejected WVU's application to join, as has the SEC, so that isn't happening either.

The ACC is pretty stable at the moment and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Each school has signed a grant of media rights through the 2026-27 season stating that if a school decides to leave the league then its media rights - including revenue - would remain with the ACC. No school is going to give up media rights, so it's a pretty solid commitment.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:50 AM

8,414 posts, read 8,425,097 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be opposed to this, but I think Cincy/BYU will get the nod........that's a big IF though as the Regents/AD's of the Big XII schools are some greedy SOB's.

We've already missed out big on Louisville because Tejas and some of the little schools such as Kansas St./Iowa St. didn't want to add anybody else as it would cut in to their precious profit share.

Big XII needs tp add teams or just concede defeat as a lesser conference/non-Power 5 and die.

Making the safe assumption that the Big XII will never add teams, I say let the Big XII die and let OU go to the SEC West and pound on A&M again! :-)
I think you are correct for the most part.
As for splitting up, only so long as the Texas/OU game in Dallas (at the Cotton Bowl) continues. And I shall root for the Sooners to pound the farmers ad infinitum.

Do you think your Okie Lite brothers would go with y'all to the SEC? Could Gundy "be a man" in that conference?

Old 04-28-2015, 12:02 PM

8,414 posts, read 8,425,097 times
Quote:
Exactly. Ain't happening. Big XII struckout big time on Ville. Thanks Big XII leadership for very poor leadership and reactive tendencies rather than be proactive.
Yup, now that DeLoss has departed after that debacle to count his retirement chips, he was replaced by a dolt who has managed to tick off a large percentage of fans - from the students to Longhorn Foundation donors. That is reflected by a 21% drop in renewals from season ticket holders this year.

And the drop is not because of the 6-7 record in Strong's 1st year - the fans like him and what he's doing to change a deteriorated football culture on the 40 Acres, so that season he was given a pass, The fans' expectations are pretty much the same for this fall while he continues his rebuilding/conversion.
Patterson has turned out to be a worse money-grubber than Dodds, plus he hasn't cleaned out all the deadwood in the athletic bureaucracy at UT.

One major Texas message board has a new motto:

"Dedicated to getting Patterson fired".

My, how things change in one year.

Last edited by ScoPro; 04-28-2015 at 12:13 PM..

Old 06-03-2015, 10:03 AM

5,417 posts, read 7,735,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Yup, now that DeLoss has departed after that debacle to count his retirement chips, he was replaced by a dolt who has managed to tick off a large percentage of fans - from the students to Longhorn Foundation donors. That is reflected by a 21% drop in renewals from season ticket holders this year.

And the drop is not because of the 6-7 record in Strong's 1st year - the fans like him and what he's doing to change a deteriorated football culture on the 40 Acres, so that season he was given a pass, The fans' expectations are pretty much the same for this fall while he continues his rebuilding/conversion.
Patterson has turned out to be a worse money-grubber than Dodds, plus he hasn't cleaned out all the deadwood in the athletic bureaucracy at UT.

One major Texas message board has a new motto:

"Dedicated to getting Patterson fired".

My, how things change in one year.
Patterson comes off as smug. He needs to polish up on his diplomacy a bit. Perhaps bein' out of Texas so long he forgot his manners.

Happy to see DeLoss gone though. I like Strong too. He seems to be getting rid of all the entitled players and he's creating a culture that will have Tejas winning before long. The Shorthorns and the Sooners just need to figure out how to beat Baylor?!! My, my, how things have changed...

Old 06-03-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
As for splitting up, only so long as the Texas/OU game in Dallas (at the Cotton Bowl) continues. And I shall root for the Sooners to pound the farmers ad infinitum.

Do you think your Okie Lite brothers would go with y'all to the SEC? Could Gundy "be a man" in that conference?
I've heard that Boren & Hargis are attached at the hip. Boren does strike me as a very loyal person and he'd do everything in his power to get OU as a packaged deal with the Oklahoma Aggies. That is certainly to Oklahoma State's benefit.

LOL on the Gundy comment. It never gets old...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjF93E4LjlA

Old 06-15-2015, 05:27 PM

18,677 posts, read 27,167,407 times
Quote:

Oklahoma with A&M in the SEC would be a disaster for Texas IMO.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Oklahoma with A&M in the SEC would be a disaster for Texas IMO.
It almost happened, but OU wouldn't leave Little Brother Oklahoma State.

The SEC got a consolation prize in Mizzou, but it was still enough to move the needle financially so they went with it.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:48 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,087,218 times
Take CU back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or