U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 08:10 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,250 posts, read 19,209,535 times

Advertisements

In light of recent developments, it's clear that you can't get in without an ACTUAL "one true champion", as the conference's slogan goes. So in order for a better shot at a championship game (and an added bonus of bringing a little sense back into college football) the Big XII would have to get back to 12 teams, and eventually more if the conference wants to survive.

My picks:

BEST choice

- Boise State
- BYU
- Cincy
- ECU
- Memphis
- UCF
- USF

Outside choice

- Air Force
- Colorado State
- Houston
- Louisiana (Lafayette)
- Louisiana Tech
- Rice
- Tulsa

Desperate choice

- Nevada
- North Texas
- SMU
- Texas State
- Tulane
- UNLV
- UTSA (I like them, but I think they have a few more years to go before moving up)
- Wyoming

...I think this calls for a new thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 08:16 PM

2,943 posts, read 2,386,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
In light of recent developments, it's clear that you can't get in without an ACTUAL "one true champion", as the conference's slogan goes. So in order for a better shot at a championship game (and an added bonus of bringing a little sense back into college football) the Big XII would have to get back to 12 teams, and eventually more if the conference wants to survive.

My picks:

BEST choice

- Boise State
- BYU
- Cincy
- ECU
- Memphis
- UCF
- USF

Outside choice

- Air Force
- Colorado State
- Houston
- Louisiana (Lafayette)
- Louisiana Tech
- Rice
- Tulsa

Desperate choice

- Nevada
- North Texas
- SMU
- Texas State
- Tulane
- UNLV
- UTSA (I like them, but I think they have a few more years to go before moving up)
- Wyoming

...I think this calls for a new thread.
I'd like to see Boise State and BYU.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:12 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,868,748 times
What about Northern Illinois? The school is located one hour outside of Chicago (3rd largest TV market) and has a good football program. It also has plans to expand its football stadium. Their basketball coach, Mark Montgomery, was an assistant and Michigan State under Tom Izzo and appears to be putting together a decent program.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:13 PM

6,573 posts, read 10,306,611 times
BYU and Colorado State.

Boise's got a great football team, but that's about it. Their other revenue sports stink and they'd be a terrible admission from an academic standpoint. Plus, even though they're a national name, they bring no TV market if their football team falls from grace.

Cincy has a strong basketball following, but their football attendance has been mediocre (~28k). CSU's average attendance has been a little bit lower, but Fort Collins is 65 miles from Denver. Cincy, OTOH, is right smack dab in the middle of the city. The Bearcats have no excuse for not selling out every home game.

I believe expanding into underserved areas like the intermountain west will pay more dividends than trying to take it straight to the SEC, ACC, and Big 10. CU may be in the Pac-12, but their football program has gone from a mid-pack Big 12 team to a perennial Pac-12 bottom-feeder. The Pac-12 representation is weak in Colorado.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
What about Northern Illinois? The school is located one hour outside of Chicago (3rd largest TV market) and has a good football program. It also has plans to expand its football stadium. Their basketball coach, Mark Montgomery, was an assistant and Michigan State under Tom Izzo and appears to be putting together a decent program.
....eh.

I don't know about NIU.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
....eh.

I don't know about NIU.
LOL...I just threw it out there to see if it would stick. The potential is there but years down the road.

My choices would be BYU and CSU. BYU brings immediate value and CSU, (with a new stadium, the Denver Market and marquee Big 12 opponents), could make the Big 12 the dominate conference in the Rocky Mountains. Also, westward expansion could be continued down the road with Boise State, UNLV or New Mexico. Finally, the Big 12 could link up with the PAC 12, forming a partnership for purposes of scheduling OOC games.

But I think both BYU and Cincy will get the nod.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:52 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,711,274 times
I know it makes no sense for UConn to be considered geographically for a B12 slot, not even being mentioned in the "desperate" category seems like they've fallen even farther than I or they thought, lol.

Geographically, obviously BYU makes a ton of sense and the idea of a B12-PAC12 "partnership" makes even more sense.

Do admission standards even count anymore after the ACC took Louisville? I'd take Boise St. as BYU's partner.

As far as Cincy/Memphis go, I don't think you can really look at their attendance and come to any conclusions. Their legacy is in CUSA and a Big East without Miami/VaTech and now the American. I think if either team was in a better league, they'd draw a lot more (as would UConn, USF or UCF).

Old 12-08-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I know it makes no sense for UConn to be considered geographically for a B12 slot, not even being mentioned in the "desperate" category seems like they've fallen even farther than I or they thought, lol.

Geographically, obviously BYU makes a ton of sense and the idea of a B12-PAC12 "partnership" makes even more sense.

Do admission standards even count anymore after the ACC took Louisville? I'd take Boise St. as BYU's partner.

As far as Cincy/Memphis go, I don't think you can really look at their attendance and come to any conclusions. Their legacy is in CUSA and a Big East without Miami/VaTech and now the American. I think if either team was in a better league, they'd draw a lot more (as would UConn, USF or UCF).
I think the ACC is interested in UConn, just not as #15. That slot is reserved for a football school not named Notre Dame. UConn has a lot going for it. It's the only public flagship institution in the northeast that has successful academic and athletic programs. I think UConn could take the 15th slot if either Pittsburgh or Syracuse somehow turn around their moribund football programs and UConn football becomes competitive under Bob Diaco. Football image is a major concern for certain southern ACC schools.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:16 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,711,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I think the ACC is interested in UConn, just not as #15. That slot is reserved for a football school not named Notre Dame. UConn has a lot going for it. It's the only public flagship institution in the northeast that has successful academic and athletic programs. I think UConn could take the 15th slot if either Pittsburgh or Syracuse somehow turn around their moribund football programs and UConn football becomes competitive under Bob Diaco. Football image is a major concern for certain southern ACC schools.
I was more making light of their situation than anything, especially as the OP had ECU in his "best" category, which is still a long trip for every B12 school save for WVU.

But after seeing some of the American's football games this year, that ridiculous idea for a national "best of the leftovers" conference that was bandied about as the Big East was collapsing (UConn, Cincy, USF, BYU, Boise St., SDSU, et.al.), sure looks like a better alternative for some of those schools than staying another year in the craptastic American.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:05 PM

I do think that this conference (if it sticks around) should get an ECU, a Cincinnati, or a Memphis to close that gap between us and West Virginia.

Adding 6 in total to make it a "Super Conference", I'd go:

BYU, Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, ECU, and Houston as a 6th member for "big market" purposes. I know A&M owns the southeast side of Texas, but at least get SOME of it back. I think eventually, if and when the Pac 12 expands to 16, they'll take Boise.

Big XII North:

West Virginia, Cincy, ISU, Kansas, Kansas State, BYU, ECU, Memphis

Big XII South:

TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, UCF, Houston

OR

Big XII East:

West Virginia, Cincy, ISU, ECU, Memphis, UCF, Kansas, Kansas State

Big XII West:

BYU, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

Last edited by JJG; 12-08-2014 at 11:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or