U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2014, 06:30 PM
 
462 posts, read 335,182 times
Reputation: 247

Advertisements

Harbaugh, while a great head coach, will have a hard time winning the national title at Michigan because only three schools north of the Mason-Dixon Line have won the national title since the southern schools decided they wanted all the good black players.

Michigan, Ohio State and Notre Dame. Notre Dame was in the mid 80s, Michigan was darn near 20 years ago and OSU was in this century.

It's gonna be hard to get kids to come up to Ann Arbor instead of being in the warm locales of the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2014, 07:38 PM
 
Location: alabama.
2,322 posts, read 1,760,286 times
Reputation: 4700
yeah .. you folks up nawth can have your championships in hockey and wrestling and maybe tiddley winks but real sports are played and won down south ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
8,260 posts, read 9,554,510 times
Reputation: 8198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
Harbaugh, while a great head coach, will have a hard time winning the national title at Michigan because only three schools north of the Mason-Dixon Line have won the national title since the southern schools decided they wanted all the good black players.

Michigan, Ohio State and Notre Dame. Notre Dame was in the mid 80s, Michigan was darn near 20 years ago and OSU was in this century.

It's gonna be hard to get kids to come up to Ann Arbor instead of being in the warm locales of the south.
Huh, I think you're forgetting about Colorado in 1990, Washington in 1991, Nebraska in 94, 95, and 97. And don't forget Penn State actually went undefeated in 94. But i agree with the overall gist of your statement, the demographics are changing up north, especially in the rust belt cities. More people are moving down South(especially Blacks) than are moving up North. And I do think in the future it will be harder for teams in the Midwest to get talent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 08:24 PM
 
462 posts, read 335,182 times
Reputation: 247
Nebraska, Washington, Colorado and Penn State aren't going to win the national title for a long time either. Michigan is gonna struggle do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 09:23 PM
 
Location: AriZona
5,230 posts, read 3,120,546 times
Reputation: 5395
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
yeah .. you folks up nawth can have your championships in hockey and wrestling and maybe tiddley winks but real sports are played and won down south ...
Be nice, Hoss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 11:39 PM
 
328 posts, read 328,423 times
Reputation: 260
Ohio St will win a national title sooner then you think.

Kids down south live to play sports and most of them end up losers their entire life if they cannot make it past college ball because most barely can spell their name let alone work.

Ohio St loses a ton of players who cannot even get into the school because they require a GPA so the kid can at least get a tutor to help them get through college. Most SEC and B12 teams will take kids who have 2.0 gpas if they can play, most schools in the north wont accept that.

B10 has Ohio St, Purdue, Northwestern, Michigan, Penn St who are all known for putting out top notch students year after year. Most kids in the south cannot even get into these schools.

Kids coming out of Florida have issues because who wants to play for Miami or Florida right now? And once Winston the criminal is gone from FSU they will be back to a so so team so most kids in Florida will be looking elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2014, 06:54 AM
 
Location: The Dirty South.
1,573 posts, read 1,428,181 times
Reputation: 1097
Texas played really poorly against arkansas I feel embarrassed for them. Now top Texas recruits will still choose a&m over Texas after that performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2014, 09:01 AM
 
1,324 posts, read 2,056,084 times
Reputation: 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
Ohio St will win a national title sooner then you think.

Kids down south live to play sports and most of them end up losers their entire life if they cannot make it past college ball because most barely can spell their name let alone work.

Ohio St loses a ton of players who cannot even get into the school because they require a GPA so the kid can at least get a tutor to help them get through college. Most SEC and B12 teams will take kids who have 2.0 gpas if they can play, most schools in the north wont accept that.

B10 has Ohio St, Purdue, Northwestern, Michigan, Penn St who are all known for putting out top notch students year after year. Most kids in the south cannot even get into these schools.

Kids coming out of Florida have issues because who wants to play for Miami or Florida right now? And once Winston the criminal is gone from FSU they will be back to a so so team so most kids in Florida will be looking elsewhere.
Be nice . Never bring academics into a college football discussion because they don't like that one bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2014, 09:43 AM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,607,028 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
I can't see nick saban leaving the south. I think he will retire from Alabama.
I actually could see it happening, especially if Alabama has a downer year when might get some cheap criticism. Success has a way of spoiling fans, so I could see it happening, and I could see Saban giving the finger and taking his act somewhere else -- like Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2014, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
4,847 posts, read 6,356,456 times
Reputation: 5787
While I would like to see Michigan win a championship again, I'll be happy with the team not being the joke it has been since Carr left. The new playoff scenario changes the landscape and winning a title can't be the only barometer of success. Harbaugh will make Michigan a success again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top