Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 11:47 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times

Advertisements

There are reports that Jim Harbaugh has been offered $8 million a year to coach at Michigan. $8 million to coach football at a state school. Am I the only one to see something wrong with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 01:42 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
It is hard to believe.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:50 PM

3,507 posts, read 764,833 times
it tells me that colleges have to much money to spend >

Old 12-20-2014, 03:22 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
it tells me that colleges have to much money to spend >
Exactly. I wonder if the OP has any idea how many millions of dollars a year the average Power 5 conference school spends or makes on football?

Michigan's biggest rival, Ohio State, has the largest athletic budget in the country. Last year, the football program produced $57 million in revenue, which accounts for about half of the athletic department's $109 million budget. Source

Old 12-20-2014, 04:29 PM

328 posts, read 434,572 times
They need a big name and willing to pay for it.

He is not a NFL type coach and needs to go back to college level coaching.

For 8 mils he had better take it.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:44 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Is it wrong? I don't think so. Even at a quality school like Michigan, it's the football program that brings in the money.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:06 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Harbaugh definitely IS an NFL-type head coach, but his meddling GM has a huge ego and insists on getting all of the credit for the success of the team, a clash identical to the feud in Dallas between Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson several years ago.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:13 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
There are reports that Jim Harbaugh has been offered $8 million a year to coach at Michigan. $8 million to coach football at a state school. Am I the only one to see something wrong with that?
It's only wrong if the school has to come out of pocket and raises tuition to pay for it. But some of these big time programs that are in a "power five" conference can afford it. Between the Tv cotracts, ticket sales, rich alumni donors, these contracts usually pay for themselves.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:25 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
It's only wrong if the school has to come out of pocket and raises tuition to pay for it. But some of these big time programs that are in a "power five" conference can afford it. Between the Tv cotracts, ticket sales, rich alumni donors, these contracts usually pay for themselves.
Agreed.

That and they sell collegiate gear too - plus concessions at the games. The whole, holier then thou argument of having a problem with football and the money it brings with it is really tired. Because of the strength of some football programs means they can give out band and archery and bowling scholarships for other students who then have a shot at an education which they might not have. If some rich Michigan peeps are tired of Big Blue getting embarrassed and want to hire a big name coach and have the deep pockets to go after him - I see no problem with that.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:08 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Agreed.

That and they sell collegiate gear too - plus concessions at the games. The whole, holier then thou argument of having a problem with football and the money it brings with it is really tired. Because of the strength of some football programs means they can give out band and archery and bowling scholarships for other students who then have a shot at an education which they might not have. If some rich Michigan peeps are tired of Big Blue getting embarrassed and want to hire a big name coach and have the deep pockets to go after him - I see no problem with that.
The main concern I'd have with "rich Michigan peeps" or rich boosters from any university, is if these same people begin lording it over the university, believing they have the "right" to dictate policy one way or another when it comes to the football or basketball programs.

Boosters choose to help out financially voluntarily, and that's fine, but that should be the end of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football