Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 01:45 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,334 times

Advertisements

I say let the other divisions into the bowl games. RAYCOM MEDIA CAMELLIA BOWL has South Alabama vs Bowling Green. they both lost 6 games and they still get awarded a bowl game. That is ridiculous.

I say mix it up a bit. let Harvard play MIT or Minnesota State play Wisconsin–Whitewater (they went 15-0). The bowl selection is the next thing to fix.

The bowl games should be about the teams, not the city stadiums they are playing in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 03:14 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
I say let the other divisions into the bowl games. RAYCOM MEDIA CAMELLIA BOWL has South Alabama vs Bowling Green. they both lost 6 games and they still get awarded a bowl game. That is ridiculous.

I say mix it up a bit. let Harvard play MIT or Minnesota State play Wisconsin–Whitewater (they went 15-0). The bowl selection is the next thing to fix.

The bowl games should be about the teams, not the city stadiums they are playing in.
Yeah, this is the time of year when the Benevolent and Protective Order of College Do-gooders bring in the most awful, cellar-dwelling bottom feeders in order to show everyone how UGLY football is played in America.

They believe it's in everyone's best interest to learn to accept these lowly underachievers, which normally are only mentioned in the Bottom 10.

Good game, guys! Where's Dolly Madison?

Old 12-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
I take the opposite view. If some corporations are willing to underwrite a game that features .500ish teams, why should we complain?

Going to a bowl is a good experience for the players. It temporarily puts a positive national spotlight on the institution. It brings revenue to the football program, which may provide the budget boost they need to do better next year. It gives the team the opportunity to get a few additional practices, and an additional game under their belts, both of which schools that don't get bowl bids aren't even allowed to do.

Look at it this way. If going to a bowl game in the middle of December wasn't useful to the schools and teams featured, they would simply decline the invitation, as some schools have done over the years.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:

First, Wisconsin-Whitewater would not schedule Minnesota State (or CS-Pueblo) largely because they would be beaten quite handily because the Div-II team is larger both in size and speed. If you remember, in 2007, they lost to a 3-7 St. Cloud St. team in the year that they won their 1st Div-III National Championship. A more fair matchup would be against an FCS non-scholarship team like Dayton, San Diego, or Drake.

Second, I do not see why the fourth or fifth best MAC team gets to go to the BEST bowl location. I am sure that NIU or WMU would have preferred the Bahamas over Boise or Boca Raton.

Third, why not use some of the minor bowls as the FCS, Div-II and Div-III championship. Personally, if the location was attractive (and not Phoenix City, AL or Salem, VA), I would have loved to see UWW vs. UMU in person.

Fourth, I like to see a lot of bowls. There are a lot of student-athletes who play hard for six month in a football season. They get to travel to a bowl location and spend a week in that place interacting with the community. Most NCAA travel is pretty lousy for the student athletes (and absolutely 1st class for the NCAA and university bureaucrats).

Old 12-21-2014, 12:09 PM

328 posts, read 434,507 times
It is all about the money and recruiting.

If you son played for one of these teams you would enjoy seeing it I am sure.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:58 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Not all NFL players come from power 5 conference schools. And even if this game does not feature any future pro players it may be the last game some student-athletes get on the field and on TV. It is about the sport and the players and the schools first, not what some cynical, random internet poster thinks.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:08 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Quote:

Well, you are sadly misinformed. Bowls are about tourism and TV money, and the ratings reflect it.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:33 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,531 times
How did a 6-7 Fresno State get invited to a bowl?

Old 12-23-2014, 08:40 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
How did a 6-7 Fresno State get invited to a bowl?

They finished the regular season at 6-6. Their 7th loss was in the MWC title game. That game does not count in terms of bowl eligibility.

Had Fresno State gone 6-7 in the regular season, they would NOT have been eligible.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:45 PM

462 posts, read 427,485 times
There are so many bowl games because those who run/sponsor them can make a grip off the product. Schools participate because ADs, coaches and even band directors get raises as a result. Plus, it looks good on the resume of a coach to have led his school to so many bowl games even if they are crappy ones that can't draw flies.

That's why these 6-6 and 7-5 teams won't turn down a trip to the Cactus Bowl or the Popeye's Bowl. There is just too much financial incentive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football