Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 08:15 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
But what they earn OUTSIDE of the school is THEIR business. It's "regulated" by whatever companies / people want to pay them.

And this is what led to no show jobs and basically paying kids to come to your school by boosters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 08:19 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
You can't play football at a car dealership. I don't see the problem with a player endorsing a local business or doing a national commercial. It's really about the school getting all the money. It should be challenged in court.
Why do you think I put work in quotes? They can work at a car dealership, a coal mine, a clinic or anywhere else. Any place could make up some bogus work schedule and pay them ungodly amounts of money over and under the table to lure the best recruits to the best schools and they never put in so much as an hour a week.

"Yeah, there's his desk right over there..."

Old 01-04-2015, 03:42 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
I think it would be death of college football. Sure alot of players play college football to eventually go pro to make alot of money. But only a small group will ever make it pro, the rest play for the love of the game. Throw in money and you will change the game completely, like pro ball has been changed because athletes are making good money. Remember how pro football was played even 30 years ago? when athletes weren't making double mil salaries and still played the game for fun? Do you remember days when it was ok to sack a QB? Or ok to play real rough and tough football. Today the game is different because of big money.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:35 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,686,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Why do you think I put work in quotes? They can work at a car dealership, a coal mine, a clinic or anywhere else. Any place could make up some bogus work schedule and pay them ungodly amounts of money over and under the table to lure the best recruits to the best schools and they never put in so much as an hour a week.

"Yeah, there's his desk right over there..."
I didn't mean "work at a car dealership" -- I meant do a TV / radio commercial for a car dealership or something like that.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:50 PM

462 posts, read 427,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I think it would be death of college football. Sure alot of players play college football to eventually go pro to make alot of money. But only a small group will ever make it pro, the rest play for the love of the game. Throw in money and you will change the game completely, like pro ball has been changed because athletes are making good money. Remember how pro football was played even 30 years ago? when athletes weren't making double mil salaries and still played the game for fun? Do you remember days when it was ok to sack a QB? Or ok to play real rough and tough football. Today the game is different because of big money.
Do you work for the love of work?

ESPN is paying $7.3 billion over 12 years to telecast seven games a year — four major bowl games, two semifinal bowl games and the national championship game. An NFL head coach just took a college job that pays him what he made coaching professionals. The CFP got higher ratings than an NFL playoff game.

Alabama boosters paid taxes on Nick Saban's multimillion-dollar home.

Yet, allowing college football players to make money would kill college football?

Old 01-05-2015, 08:37 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,686,608 times
Schools are all about making money for teachers. It's a raw deal for student athletes. I don't see why athletes can't sell autographs or do commercials. It's money from outside sources.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:06 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
Do you work for the love of work?

ESPN is paying $7.3 billion over 12 years to telecast seven games a year — four major bowl games, two semifinal bowl games and the national championship game. An NFL head coach just took a college job that pays him what he made coaching professionals. The CFP got higher ratings than an NFL playoff game.

Alabama boosters paid taxes on Nick Saban's multimillion-dollar home.

Yet, allowing college football players to make money would kill college football?
Yes its an attitude thing. I don't know how old you are? But Pro ball is an example of what im saying. Watch thru the decades in the NFL as salary rose for players so did the game changed in how it is played and attitude of players. To be honest in my opinion the NFL today isn't as exciting as it was 20 or even 30 years ago. Truth is i quit watching it. I grewup with the dirty raiders, the "too tall" cowboys and "the catch" 49ers. Where you can sack a QB. Today its all about getting paid.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:49 PM

462 posts, read 427,261 times
Oh.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:54 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Schools are all about making money for teachers. It's a raw deal for student athletes. I don't see why athletes can't sell autographs or do commercials. It's money from outside sources.

If they think it is a raw deal they don't have to play.

And I think most professors would get a good belly laugh that schools are about making money for them.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:19 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
I've always thought there should be some type of "pension" or money set aside for college players after they graduate, enter the draft, or have their eligibility otherwise come to an end. There could be some type of fund that schools have to pay into annually with contributions based on some type of formula (maybe based on the total compensation of head coaches or ADs and the size of the institution). Former players would then receive a fixed amount annually (or a lump sum payment) according to the formula. You could even have a rule that all players--regardless of school--receive the same amount strictly based on the years of experience so that big, rich schools don't have an advantage over small, less rich schools.

Of course, this is tricky because all athletes would want their fair cut. That still seems manageable to me. Urban Meyer's total compensation from OSU year is $4.5 million. I'm not sure what the Women's Lacrosse team coach made last year but I'm sure it's less than $4.5 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football