U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:56 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,213,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I'm a Big10 guy and have no problem admitting that they're still the best conference..They're just not as dominant as Espn and SEC fans like to believe.

You're average conf. has maybe 2 legit nat. champ. contenders year in, year out..The SEC will always have 3 or 4.

(My brain still tells me that A&M is a Big12 team..They don't seem like an SEC team.)

ESPN has a vested interest in promoting them. They've been promoting them in a biased manner for years with the plans to cash in on them. No surprise.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:03 AM

28,269 posts, read 26,269,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It is popular everywhere we have lived, from Los Angeles to Washington DC.
College football is not big in the DC area at all. As a more transient part of the country, you have a lot of Big Ten and SEC alums that follow their teams, but college football is not even on the radar in the DMV. I don't think I've ever seen a Terps or UVA game on TV in the DC area unless they were playing Florida State or some other powerhouse. Maryland's football stadium is not large by the standards of football crazy areas (Bryant-Denny, Beaver Stadium, the Big House, etc.) and the football team has had few bright spots over the past 25 years. College football isn't something most people seem to care about.

Now the Redskins, on the other hand, are a different story. The sports media focuses on the Redskins 7 days a week, 12 months a year. If Maryland were playing against Oregon in the title game, 35% of the news coverage would be devoted to the Terps, and the other 65% would be devoted to whether RG3's daddy should be allowed into the locker room after practices.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Was Oregon that good or was FSU that bad?
Oregon's defense is good and Florida State's defense was sub par (all season). That was probably the slowest defense I've ever seen FSU put on a field. Too much arm tackling and too many blown coverages.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:02 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,213,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
College football is not big in the DC area at all. As a more transient part of the country, you have a lot of Big Ten and SEC alums that follow their teams, but college football is not even on the radar in the DMV. I don't think I've ever seen a Terps or UVA game on TV in the DC area unless they were playing Florida State or some other powerhouse. Maryland's football stadium is not large by the standards of football crazy areas (Bryant-Denny, Beaver Stadium, the Big House, etc.) and the football team has had few bright spots over the past 25 years. College football isn't something most people seem to care about.

No one gives a crud about college football in New England. The only time it was a blip on the radar was the 1980s Flutie years at BC. The Sportstalk people actively mock it, actually.

There are alumni groups of course, that is my outlet.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:19 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,989,888 times
Looks like Oregon wasn't so good on either side of ball and clear now why OU beat Bama. After all the arguing about OU in final four; they clearly were the best team and showed just that on field.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:23 AM

10,472 posts, read 5,939,796 times
I'm a BIG fan but I do not understand this "the SEC ain't so great" talk. Give me a break, they have been by far the most dominant conference in the country for years. A few games this winter does nothing to change that.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:00 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,611,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Looks like Oregon wasn't so good on either side of ball and clear now why OU beat Bama. After all the arguing about OU in final four; they clearly were the best team and showed just that on field.
Oregon was good; OSU was just better. Great recruiting and coaching by Meyer.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:29 AM

11,787 posts, read 13,377,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm a BIG fan but I do not understand this "the SEC ain't so great" talk. Give me a break, they have been by far the most dominant conference in the country for years. A few games this winter does nothing to change that.
You just have to understand the mentality of the butthurt fan with an obsession.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:14 AM

13,223 posts, read 17,975,432 times
Look, I understand that the SEC has been the best conference in college football for the last 10 years. I just got tired of all the arrogance about it, and I never believed that they were head and shoulders above every other conference either. They've been the best, but it hasn't been by as much as proclaimed.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Look, I understand that the SEC has been the best conference in college football for the last 10 years. I just got tired of all the arrogance about it, and I never believed that they were head and shoulders above every other conference either. They've been the best, but it hasn't been by as much as proclaimed.
Well, they were pretty dominant for that stretch. And it's produced the most NFL talent of all the conferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or