U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2015, 08:10 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,608,124 times
Reputation: 3225

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
As they should have.

Undefeated LSU mopped the floor with PAC 12 champion Oregon in the season opener and beat up on a WVU team that later hung 70 points on Clemson. Alabama lost to the only undefeated team in the nation -- mainly because its kicker shanked two field goals in a game that was decided in overtime. Oklahoma State, while impressive, lost to Iowa State by allowing 4 unanswered touchdowns. OSU had a great year, but Alabama had a better one. OSU barely defeated PAC-12 runner-up Stanford thanks to the Cardinal kicker shanking a kick late in the game that would have iced it.

 
Old 01-15-2015, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
13,097 posts, read 13,483,466 times
Reputation: 5771
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Right. Plenty of doubt based on what exactly?

The SEC wasn't playing itself; other teams from other conferences had the chance to beat the SEC, and ended up losing, usually by two touchdowns or more.
Missing the point. Take OSU in 2007. It never should've been in the championship game, but under the BCS, it backed in when everyone else lost in front of them, rather than through winning games to get there. They didn't belong there and it was proven. Had there been a playoff then, that never would've happened. Perhaps LSU wouldn't have been there either and not given the SEC one of its titles during the streak. All we know for sure is that the SEC was often better than the one team it happened to play during the streak, but not whether it was the best team. And this year, OSU never would've been in the championship game, because the BCS system would've put FSU/Alabama there instead, yet the playoff proved neither deserved it.
 
Old 01-15-2015, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
13,097 posts, read 13,483,466 times
Reputation: 5771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Plenty of doubt with who? Jealous fans. Its over and done and in the history books forever. Why does your "doubt" start and end with the SEC? Do you question the victories of other BCS teams not from the SEC? Why not?

Wait...I know.
Actually, yeah. It's not just the SEC wins that come into doubt when it comes to the BCS era, but the SEC folks have been the ones hyping the "best conference" stuff. The new system strongly suggests that there would've been more parity in conferences.
 
Old 01-15-2015, 02:43 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,608,124 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Missing the point. Take OSU in 2007. It never should've been in the championship game, but under the BCS, it backed in when everyone else lost in front of them, rather than through winning games to get there. They didn't belong there and it was proven. Had there been a playoff then, that never would've happened. Perhaps LSU wouldn't have been there either and not given the SEC one of its titles during the streak. All we know for sure is that the SEC was often better than the one team it happened to play during the streak, but not whether it was the best team. And this year, OSU never would've been in the championship game, because the BCS system would've put FSU/Alabama there instead, yet the playoff proved neither deserved it.
Yeah, maybe NFC wins fewer titles if they don't let wildcard teams like the New York Giants in the playoffs. It's kinda lame to rewrite history with a whole bunch of hypothetical alternatives to what actually happened on the field. The SEC faced multiple opponents from multiple conferences year-in and year-out and beat them on the field -- usually by two touchdowns or more.

Speaking of 2007, you might want to go back and look at what actually happened that year. The rankings were as follows:

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Virginia Tech
4. Oklahoma
*5. Georgia

And how did they do?

#5 Georgia beat #10Hawaii 41-10
#9 West Virginia beat #4 Oklahoma 48-28
#8 Kansas beat #3 Virginia Tech 24-21
#2 LSU beat #1 Ohio State 38-24

If there had been a college playoff in 2007, the most likely outcome would have been an all-SEC championship game between Georgia and LSU.
 
Old 01-15-2015, 02:45 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,608,124 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Actually, yeah. It's not just the SEC wins that come into doubt when it comes to the BCS era, but the SEC folks have been the ones hyping the "best conference" stuff. The new system strongly suggests that there would've been more parity in conferences.
No, the new system suggests nothing other than what happened in 2014-15, a year in which more parity hurt the nation's most dominant conference.
 
Old 01-15-2015, 05:37 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,852,844 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
As they should have.

Undefeated LSU mopped the floor with PAC 12 champion Oregon in the season opener and beat up on a WVU team that later hung 70 points on Clemson. Alabama lost to the only undefeated team in the nation -- mainly because its kicker shanked two field goals in a game that was decided in overtime. Oklahoma State, while impressive, lost to Iowa State by allowing 4 unanswered touchdowns. OSU had a great year, but Alabama had a better one. OSU barely defeated PAC-12 runner-up Stanford thanks to the Cardinal kicker shanking a kick late in the game that would have iced it.
Lol. You mentioned every missed FG except the one OSU had against ISU. If thats the reason those other teams lost then that's why OSU lost too.

That SEC rematch was bull****. Plain and simple.
 
Old 01-15-2015, 06:57 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,608,124 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Lol. You mentioned every missed FG except the one OSU had against ISU. If thats the reason those other teams lost then that's why OSU lost too.

That SEC rematch was bull****. Plain and simple.
Uh, you obviously don't get the point.

There's a big difference between an Alabama team that gave up an average of 8 points per game losing in overtime to a team that averaged 30+ PPG, had gone undefeated, and won the Southeastern Conference. There's a big difference between Alabama losing to LSU and an Oklahoma State team losing to..........Iowa freakin State.

I guess anti-SEC trash talkers don't get logic.
 
Old 01-15-2015, 07:51 PM
 
16,523 posts, read 20,969,751 times
Reputation: 47955
On that note,,,,

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top